G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Pics of a handful of DIY mods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 04:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool look, OCG35! Very original. It makes my think of a low visibility fighter jet.

Old 09-08-2005, 07:47 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by jawjaw
Cool look, OCG35! Very original. It makes my think of a low visibility fighter jet.
Thanks ... now all I need are some missiles and rocket launchers for the slow moving traffic in So Cal!!!

Old 09-08-2005, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by jawjaw
OCG35's car looks even better up front and personal. IMO, the pictures don't do the car justice.

Old 09-09-2005, 12:06 AM
Originally Posted by DaveO
OCG35's car looks even better up front and personal. IMO, the pictures don't do the car justice.
Thanks Dave - I guess my camera is crap... I used high res, but had to resize in order to post here (it seems to degrade the quality). I guess I should use photo bucket since most pics I post of cosmetics don't really look the same as in person.

BTW, I’m liking the grille - will do detail adjustments tomorrow. Thanks again for your help with it! I’ll post pics later – haven’t ever seen another sedan with billet on lower stock fascia. – Dare to be different

Old 09-10-2005, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by G35_TX
For goodness sakes its a Infiniti, not a Maxima. Have a quality paint job.
What an odd thing to say, considering the following:

1) A Maxima is a $30K-plus Nissan with a Nissan badge and a G35 is a $30K-plus Nissan carrying an Infiniti label. Russ, you can pay more for a Honda pickup truck if you so choose. This is the second or third post I've seen from you extolling the upper-crust virtues of your Infiniti while bashing your previous Maxima. News flash: You and I both paid a few grand extra for the Infiniti Total Ownership "Experience" compared to our Japanese friends across the Pacific rolling out of the Nissan dealers in their Skylines. And by that I mean croissants at the service bay and recessed lighting in the showroom. Bragging to your buddies about the Infiniti emblem as it relates to the Nissan badge is akin to looking down your nose at the Sizzler sign across the street from your comfy Steak & Ale window booth: The patrons at Ruth's Chris wouldn't be caught dead in either one.
2) The G35 hardly qualifies as rolling art. You can buy five or six of 'em for the price of an F430. Now that car deserves a quality paint job. Dave's electrical tape trick would not go over well at the Concours d'Elegance, but on a G35 though I think it's really friggin' awesome! Too bad they don't make metallic white tape for my car.

Old 09-12-2005, 10:08 AM
Don't drink and Mag Race
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JKWright
News flash: You and I both paid a few grand extra for the Infiniti Total Ownership "Experience" compared to our Japanese friends across the Pacific rolling out of the Nissan dealers in their Skylines. And by that I mean croissants at the service bay and recessed lighting in the showroom.
Mmmmmmm.......croissants.....

Actually, given the choice between a Maxima and the virtually identical I35, I would take the Infiniti.

In addition to the "recessed lighting", I receive top-flight service, LOANER CARS, courtesy calls, free rides, Starbucks coffee, LOANER CARS, an entire Baskin-Robbins statkion, LOANER CARS, and so forth.....

Would you seriously look at a used Pathfinder over a similarly priced used QX4?

Having owned Fords, Chevys, Toyotas, and Chryslers, I can say that is worth the slight premium to know I'll have my needs met at the Infiniti dealership.

Old 09-16-2005, 04:08 AM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
I too put electrical tape on door handles and exterior trim, but only to see how it would look dark. I don’t think I would never consider leaving it that way. In a quest to "dark out" my entire G I finally finished. The series of trial and error is long and involved, but the bottom line is it's done. The color isn’t exactly what I was looking for, but the effect is there. Keep in mind, the car name is Grey Ghost, the theme is a dark, stealth, mysterious look rather than bling/flash. All polished aluminum/chrome look is gone!

I replaced the stock grill with powder coated (same color as wheels) billet upper and lower (no pics yet - soon).

Anyway, here are pics of the window trim and door handles. I realize it’s not going to be everyones cup of tea – it’s a like it or hate it kind of thing… but for the theme I’m going for it works (pretty much).
Did you black out your tail lights or did you have them done, i wanna do that to my G but still keep a glossy look to it.

Old 09-16-2005, 04:55 AM
Originally Posted by Gdup35sedan
Did you black out your tail lights or did you have them done, i wanna do that to my G but still keep a glossy look to it.
"glossy look"?.... hmmm - I'm not sure how that would work. I'm not quite sure what you mean by glossy though ~ to me the G's tail lights are WAY more vibrant red than most other cars so anything to tone them down is good (imo).

Mine are bluebatmobile's overlays - but they can be painted... I've been told spraying the inside with a thin layer of black gives a smoked effect... some people paint the outside. If I were to do something more permanent than vinyl overlays, I'd have a reputable shop spray the inside.

Many G and Z owners have used bat's overlays with no complaints - I know I'm happy.

Not sure about your "glossy" concern though... can you elaborate?...

Old 09-19-2005, 03:49 AM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
Not sure about your "glossy" concern though... can you elaborate?...
I didnt know if they were overlay's or if you could get the actual housing tinted. I geuss the overlays would make more sense if you got pulled over for blacked out tails. By the glossy look i meant that ive seen some ppl with blacked out tails and its a real dull black, not shiny like the stock housing.

Old 09-19-2005, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by Gdup35sedan
I didnt know if they were overlay's or if you could get the actual housing tinted. I geuss the overlays would make more sense if you got pulled over for blacked out tails. By the glossy look i meant that ive seen some ppl with blacked out tails and its a real dull black, not shiny like the stock housing.
If you decide to spray instead of overlays - do the inside... that way it won't chip/peel and you will still have the "gloss" on the outside. To my eye our cars taillights are too bright (without being illuminated) - so a darker toned down look is more appealing to me.

Let us know what you decide to do and take pics... I look forward to seeing how it turns out.