G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Here's why no DUAL Exhaust for the Sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 10:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would a Ferrari look good with one big fart can sticking out of the back? It's the look and the concert of two pipes playing a sweet sound. Most of the car is symmetric so I just think the exhaust should be as well. If you had a panel line on one side of the car and not the other, it would be weird. True, a bigger single pipe is lighter but I'm not sure if it's better than a dual through the revs. It would be interesting to see a comparison on the same car.

Old 09-13-2005, 10:17 AM
It works on my machine
Originally Posted by jawjaw
Would a Ferrari look good with one big fart can sticking out of the back?
Never heard of a muff refered to as a 'fart can" LOL, thanks for the laugh

Old 09-13-2005, 10:22 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by GeeWillikers
Half the cars that have dual exhaust don't sound nearly as sweet as our sedan, nor do they have the performance edge.

Personally, I like the twin-tips. Everybody and their ricer brother has split exhaust pipes, true duals or not. I like that we're different.
Well to me the defacto "ricer" look is one big a$$ fart can hanging on one side.

Old 09-13-2005, 10:53 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
The G coupe and Z "dual" exhausts are for pure show and the cross-flow mufflers they employee most likely do not flow better than the G sedans variable capacity muffler. The orginal G sedan dual exhaust was merely a show piece and holds no advantage in performance because all they've done is split a single pipe into two pipes. Most likely the reason Nissan dumped the idea is strictly because of cost. For me, I like the single muffler because it's lighter and that having a fake dual exhaust is strictly for show. Why put it on the car if it holds no performance benefit? Like someone said earlier, the G won't benefit from the fake dual setup because it's piping is already plenty big to support the NA power of the car up to around 350hp.

The 1998-2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP and Buick Regal GS shared the same motors, same power ratings, but different exhaust setups. The GTP had a single pipe split into two seperate mufflers. The GS has a single muffler. On the track, the GS is typically a fraction faster.

Other cars that make big power and have single pipes and mufflers

1) GM F-body. 250-320hp 5.7 liter V8 pumped through a single pipe and crossflow muffler.
2) The infamous Skyline GT-R
3) The infamous Supra
4) BMW E36 M3

Old 09-13-2005, 11:46 AM
keep in mind, out of the cars listed, the gt-r had(has) an inline engine, along with the e36 m3. and the supra had about a 3" pipe (tt).
but also keep in mind the improvements the f-body had with an exhaust upgrade - due mainly because the ecu did not have much control over the air/fuel like the vq's have now.
the design is a give and take. i think in the case of the g35 sedan it didn't take anything except unwanted weight and air obstacles.

Old 09-13-2005, 12:10 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
Well to me the defacto "ricer" look is one big a$$ fart can hanging on one side.
Agree. I was just being sarcastic.

Old 09-13-2005, 12:27 PM
you mean like this?

please excuse the lawn.

Old 09-13-2005, 12:37 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by jasperg35
you mean like this?
If that floats your boat then, great.
Just doesn't do it 4 me.
please excuse the lawn.
LOL... You don't want to see my lawn.
I've got one lame a$$ part that I can't get seed to catch for love nor money

Old 09-13-2005, 01:22 PM
you mean like this?

please excuse the lawn.
Thanks for the great picture of the Nur-Spec. How does it sound? Everyone says that it is deep but not raspy. Do you find any significant drop in back pressure? Is the car "harder to get into gear" i.e. does it lack any low-end after installed?

When I put a big exhaust on my Jetta I instantly noticed a decrease in the bottom end power (made up for by letting the turbo breathe at high RPM and sounding nasty up there) - I just don't want this to happen on my sedan because I love the way first gear engagement is so positive and consistant (second gear is giving me a headache).

Old 09-13-2005, 01:44 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Well Mr Big, I also grew up hanging out at a muffler shop and no one ever left our shop
with a set of duals that looked worse than what they came in with! I suppose it's in
the knowledge and talent of the artist doing the mods.
I own a G35 with true duals and they work and sound bitc*en. And they added to the
performance of my ride. That's 13hp at the rear wheels!

'04 G35 Twilight Coupe all ops Borla true dual cat back system - Stillen intake - Z Tube
Clear corners - 35% Tint - Nismo additives - Volk GTC's (soon)

Old 09-13-2005, 02:08 PM
Rollin On Dubz
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys can't sit here and talk about "No point of having dual exhausts if there's no performance gain".

Your driving a higher end car like the G, (It's not an SL 500, but it's not a civic either),
and your talking about looks aren't important?

Of course looks are important, thats what drew you to the car in the first place. And the G35 Sedan would look waaaay nicer if it had the "cosmetic duals".
So many cars have it..from the Audi a4, to the Acura's, to even the friggin 3.5 altima.

It's absolute baloney the Sedan doesn't have the Coupe exhaust. On the next generation G the sedan will have a dual, I gaurantee.

Old 09-13-2005, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by JohnNJ
Thanks for the great picture of the Nur-Spec. How does it sound? Everyone says that it is deep but not raspy. Do you find any significant drop in back pressure? Is the car "harder to get into gear" i.e. does it lack any low-end after installed?

When I put a big exhaust on my Jetta I instantly noticed a decrease in the bottom end power (made up for by letting the turbo breathe at high RPM and sounding nasty up there) - I just don't want this to happen on my sedan because I love the way first gear engagement is so positive and consistant (second gear is giving me a headache).
the sound is deeper, and not much louder than stock. not raspy at all. it didn't get much louder until i took out the resonator and replaced it with a straight through design resonator. but when i did the muffler alone, because it's just the rear section (which was remarkebly easy to do - fitment was awesome), i noticed no low-end loss. the rear loss in back pressure occurred when i changed out everything else.

Old 09-13-2005, 02:27 PM
It works on my machine
Originally Posted by gary c
I suppose it's in the knowledge and talent of the artist doing the mods.
Absolutely, my point was when the stock bumper has a cutout on only on side and you stick another tail pipe on the other with our re-working the bumper, or as on some pickups you have to go around a spare tire and you can kind of see a pipe hanging lower on one side than the other.

Originally Posted by gary c
I own a G35 with true duals and they work and sound bitc*en. And they added to the performance of my ride. That's 13hp at the rear wheels!
True duals will do this, provided the car and ECU know what to do with the different back pressure numbers.

Not like it was in the '70's or '80, never had to worry about an ECU, just put on a set of headers, run some pipe to glass packs, then out the back. Now that's the sound I like.

Old 09-13-2005, 03:08 PM
the sound is deeper, and not much louder than stock. not raspy at all. it didn't get much louder until i took out the resonator and replaced it with a straight through design resonator. but when i did the muffler alone, because it's just the rear section (which was remarkebly easy to do - fitment was awesome), i noticed no low-end loss. the rear loss in back pressure occurred when i changed out everything else.
Thanks for the info! I'm still torn between the Nur-Spec or saving up and getting the Borla "true" dual. I admire both companies, Blitz for their awesome 240 & supra tuning and Borla ever since I heard a '98 M3 with a borla that sounded incredible. I have a feeling I'm going to end up with the Nur-Spec for the money and the preservation of bottom end power. I would rather be digging out of turns than winning at the drag strip.

Old 09-13-2005, 03:08 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMike
You guys can't sit here and talk about "No point of having dual exhausts if there's no performance gain".

Your driving a higher end car like the G, (It's not an SL 500, but it's not a civic either),
and your talking about looks aren't important?

Of course looks are important, thats what drew you to the car in the first place. And the G35 Sedan would look waaaay nicer if it had the "cosmetic duals".
So many cars have it..from the Audi a4, to the Acura's, to even the friggin 3.5 altima.

It's absolute baloney the Sedan doesn't have the Coupe exhaust. On the next generation G the sedan will have a dual, I gaurantee.
Looks are very much important and most of us and the buying public rank image/style as the #1 reason to buying the car. The point is a "fake" dual exhaust does absolutely NOTHING for the performance of the car. Have you ever held an OEM Nissan muffler in your arms? They're heavy (30-40lbs). Basically a fake dual exhaust would so one thing for the G sedan, add weight. That's all.

IMO, it's flat out retarded to have a dual muffler setup on a car with a single terminating pipe from the engine. The 6th gen Maxima, 3rd gen Altima, Acura TL, A4, etc are guilty of this. It's dumb, but it sells cars because ignorant people see dual mufflers as "wow, it must be fast because it has two mufflers Yo!". It's the image.

I'm sure you're right about the 2nd generation G35 sporting a dual exhaust. I just hope it's just a crossflow muffler with dual pipes.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Here's why no DUAL Exhaust for the Sedan