Acura restates the BHP of the TL!

Hummmm..

Autospys.com

Old 09-29-2005, 05:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Homeslice
Hummmm..

Autospys.com
It seems like the G35 is missing on this list, perhaps an earlier thread saying the G's 280 hp was actually 266 hp under these new guidelines

HPRatings, now I wonder if that's the case? I wonder where we can find the actual facts?

Last edited by ABQ_G35; 09-29-2005 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:09 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
according to the new sae standards, manufacturers have changed the way engines are rated. No big news and it's a stupid article because it leads you to believe that oems are trying to be deceiving.

Old 09-29-2005, 05:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agreed. The article itself is backwards:

"For years auto scribes have questioned why Japanese V-6s, such as the 270 horsepower motor in the 2005 Acura TL sedan, seemed more powerful than many American V-8s. Now we have some answers. For 2006, Acura claims only 258 hp for the TL's 3.2-liter V-6.

The *** V-6 SEEMS more powerful than American V-8s? So, disregarding the actual HP figure, the Japannse V6 Seems more powerful. But the problem the authors of the article are trying to draw your attnetion to is that they (the Japanese HP figures) are inflated.

In reality, if the Japanese HP figures go down, and the American HP figures go up, the fact still remains - and I quote: Japanese V-6s, ... seemed more powerful than many American V-8s." That is one problem with US Nameplates. All the funny exhaust sounds in the world won't change the fact that the Pontiact G6 is still nothing more that a decent rental car.

Old 09-29-2005, 05:59 PM
I know they aren't inflated under the old standards, would just like to see a list somewhere using the new standards.

Old 09-29-2005, 06:56 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Interesting that the Infiniti FX45 is the only Japanese manufacturer shown with power increases for 2006 - up 5 to 320.

Old 09-29-2005, 07:09 PM
Question

Now that the Japanese engines are rated for less power provides an explanation as to why the Japanese V6's felt stronger than American V8's...WTF???

How does that even make sense?

It's like saying Rosie O'Donnel weighs less than Kate Moss because she eats more horse meat, but now that she is eating beef, we can prove that she does in fact weigh more than Kate Moss, and Mary-Kate and Ashley on the same scale...

Old 09-29-2005, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by geekinc
Now that the Japanese engines are rated for less power provides an explanation as to why the Japanese V6's felt stronger than American V8's...WTF???

It's like saying Rosie O'Donnel weighs less than Kate Moss because she eats more horse meat, but now that she is eating beef, we can prove that she does in fact weigh more than Kate Moss, and Mary-Kate and Ashley on the same scale...
Doesn't make sense, I thought I had read it wrong at first!

Old 09-29-2005, 10:09 PM
I got 4 stock G sedan wheels (great for winter replacements), would sell em for mad cheap, email me preferably JOSEPHSUISKIND7@HOTMAIL.COM

Old 09-30-2005, 12:28 AM
^^^^wtf???^^^^

Old 09-30-2005, 08:22 AM
It works on my machine
Originally Posted by geekinc

LOL...But if the others ate beef instead of just veggy's who would weigh more then?

Old 09-30-2005, 08:22 AM
Originally Posted by josephsuiskind7
I got 4 stock G sedan wheels (great for winter replacements), would sell em for mad cheap, email me preferably JOSEPHSUISKIND7@HOTMAIL.COM
What an Dick Bag

Old 09-30-2005, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by madabs
What an Dick Bag
CMON it could have been a mistake he seems to have been a contributing member in former posts....

Old 09-30-2005, 03:31 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mrdwaters

"For years auto scribes have questioned why Japanese V-6s, such as the 270 horsepower motor in the 2005 Acura TL sedan, seemed more powerful than many American V-8s. Now we have some answers. For 2006, Acura claims only 258 hp for the TL's 3.2-liter V-6.
I think they meant that the Japanese V-6's have seemed more powerful than they should have been as compared to American V-8's, when comparing their factory horsepower ratings, and they therefore now feel "vindicated" by the fact that those former Japanese ratings were actually bogus and have now been "restated" to a lower number, when using the new S.A.E. standard test.

However, as has also aptly been pointed out, the American engines will also be "restated" under the new guidelines, and such "restatements" will almost never, if ever , be higher than the previous S.A.E. ratings, either. In other words "we always thought you Japanese were full of crap on your high HP ratings for your high tech V-6's, and now this proves it! Never mind the fact that we were equally full of crap, in our ratings, too"

I believe , for the most part, all of the manufacturers ratings are fairly accurate to maybe 2%-3% of actual, regardless of the rating system used, and, for various reasons, you will always have your occasional manufacturer overstating (bragging rights in a certain class, etc.) and understating (don't want people to know your sedan is just as powerful as your coupe, and also lighter, so therefore ... , etc.)... it's the nature of the beast.

OK, I'll go back to sleep now ....

Last edited by dbarnes; 09-30-2005 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dbarnes
However, as has also aptly been pointed out, the American engines will also be "restated" under the new guidelines, and such "restatements" will almost never, if ever , be higher than the previous S.A.E. ratings, either. In other words "we always thought you Japanese were full of crap on your high HP ratings for your high tech V-6's, and now this proves it! Never mind the fact that we were equally full of crap, in our ratings, too"

I believe , for the most part, all of the manufacturers ratings are fairly accurate to maybe 2%-3% of actual, regardless of the rating system used, and, for various reasons, you will always have your occasional manufacturer overstating (bragging rights in a certain class, etc.) and understating (don't want people to know your sedan is just as powerful as your coupe, and also lighter, so therefore ... , etc.)... it's the nature of the beast.
Not sure what you're basing your statements on, but I thought this article was interesting.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosins...A01-283759.htm

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Acura restates the BHP of the TL!