G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Bose sounds quality change at volume 20

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 02:57 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RLampke
Hmm - on my system the change is there after this trigger at all volume levels but it's not very obvious. Play something that is very crisp and try it again. If it's just mine that's ont thing, but I'm betting that it's not.

Again listen closely.
I was listening closely, specifically for the change past 20, and then when I went back below 20. I'll definitely listen again, this time with an freq meter when I get a chance. My car is an '03 so perhaps there is a slight difference. In any event I did notice the boost in treble energy past 20, but when I went back below 20 it seemed to go away. My wife is taking the car out of town to shoot a rock concert tonight, so maybe I will give this a shot tomorrow. What can I say I'm a geek.

Last edited by Picus; 11-04-2005 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:09 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess I must be the odd one here. I like the '05 Bose system. I just adjust the bass and treble to where I like it for the each type of music I'm listening to at that time. Yeah it sounds bass heavy sometimes, but I just back down the bass and I'm good to go. I also don't think it is terrible above 20. I often max it out at 31, and often wish it went up even more.

Perhaps this is a direct result of way too many heavy metal concerts back in the '80's, hanging out a few nights a week listening to local bar bands, and now I am actually unable to really enjoy anything that isn't screaming in my ears and causing them to bleed.........

I'll have to try the whole test at 20 and the tweeter thing, although my lame ears will probably not notice it.

Either way, I love the car for all of it's pros and the few cons it may have.

Old 11-04-2005, 03:14 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by picus112
My car is an '03 so perhaps there is a slight difference. In any event I did notice the boost in treble energy past 20, but when I went back below 20 it seemed to go away. My wife is taking the car out of town to shoot a rock concert tonight, so maybe I will give this a shot tomorrow. What can I say I'm a geek.
If I'm not mistaken there was a system change for the '05 year [Bose], but again I could be mistaken.

I here ya

Old 11-04-2005, 03:23 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Chico
This is true about the '05. I have also noticed it and always thought it was just in my car. But now I see it is a BOSE thing. Nevertheless, the car sounds much better at 20+. It's almost as if it is another system in the car.
Glad to here I'm not the only one that notices...

Old 11-04-2005, 05:07 PM
I have the same issue. If you change the position of the treble it will return the bass and treble to the normal levels. Along with turning the volume up to 20 or greater. This is quite annoying.

There may be some more information for you at FA:
http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...b=5&o=&fpart=1

I hope someone can get a clear fix from the dealer on this.

Old 11-04-2005, 08:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by westsideg35
I have the same issue. If you change the position of the treble it will return the bass and treble to the normal levels. Along with turning the volume up to 20 or greater. This is quite annoying.

There may be some more information for you at FA:
http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...b=5&o=&fpart=1

I hope someone can get a clear fix from the dealer on this.
That's a problem with your unit. What we were describing is not a problem but just an observation that makes the system sound better at higher volumes.

Old 11-04-2005, 09:05 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by picus112
I didn't say it doesn't have bass, quite the contrary - it can be as boomy as our system if you choose to add db to the bass. What it does have is much more accurate bass response when stock, as in, the frequency response is much smoother below say, 50Hz. Here is an example, take it for what it's worth.

Sit in a G and put in a CD with heavy guitar driven basslines, standup bass in particular - listen to the guy/girl plucking the strings quickly and it sounds like a solid hum of bass. There is no distinction between plucks. Listen to it in the TL and the bass is less pronounced, but you can actually hear the player hitting the strings. The reason for this is between 30-60Hz our systems are +5-10db, and the TL's is +/- 2-3. What that means is any sound in that frequency is boosted 5-10db in our cars, which produces LOUD but very inaccurate bass. In the TL it will sound quieter, but more accurate. And the only reason it sounds quieter is that we've become accustomed to the boomy Bose bass. Moving from a TL to a G the G's bass would sound too loud, and muddy. When you plot a systems freq response you want to see a relatively flat "curve", instead of one with lot of peaks and valleys. I've plotted our cars stock system, it looks sort of like this:

(sorry for the lame paint skills)

It had a lot more peaks and valleys, but generally there is a +8-10db till 75Hz, then the response is like -5db till 150 where it goes way up again.

For something like rap/hip hop or anything with "thump" bass, our cars sound ok, because the bass is artifically inflated and there is almost no midrange to compete with it. The bass doesn't need to be accurate, just loud.

It's the same reason you will see aftermarket systems with 2+ 8 inch subs rather than one 15 inch sub. Smaller woofers are inherently more accurate, so while 2 8" subs might not be as boomy, or reach below ~28Hz, they will generally be more accurate than one 15" sub. That is unless you just want it loud, in which case you might as well put Bass +10 in your car and thump your way down Rodeo.

I'm not trying to convince you it's a bad system. If you like it, it's a good system - it's just not considered "accurate".
Totally agree with what you've said here. I'm not an audiophile and could not described it as correctly as you have but that's exactly what I hear from my system. Way too boomy and over boosted. It's not a natural sound and quite disappointing for a car costing this much. The Infinity system I had in my last Jeep Grand Cherokee limited puts this too shame.

Old 11-04-2005, 09:08 PM
Rated M

Originally Posted by Chico
This is true about the '05. I have also noticed it and always thought it was just in my car. But now I see it is a BOSE thing. Nevertheless, the car sounds much better at 20+. It's almost as if it is another system in the car.
Chico, it's a Bose thing - yes and it's unfortunate Infiniti chose this manufacturer. It's definitely the most disappointing thing about the car. The only time the sound is at all decent is above 20 and I certainly don't want it there too much.

Old 11-04-2005, 10:01 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Holy shiznitt !!! You guys play your sets over 20 . I'm starting to feel really, really old. I usually listen to mine between 9 and 12. If I went any higher I might blow my hearing aids or worse my pacemaker . No small wonder you hear all these complaints about rattles on the interior.
I guess I'm just old

Old 11-04-2005, 11:46 PM
i may be a rookie when it comes to car audio but it sounds like the flux capacitor is not running exactly at 1.21 jiggawats.

Old 11-05-2005, 08:09 AM
Rated M

Originally Posted by GEE35X
Holy shiznitt !!! You guys play your sets over 20 . I'm starting to feel really, really old. I usually listen to mine between 9 and 12. If I went any higher I might blow my hearing aids or worse my pacemaker . No small wonder you hear all these complaints about rattles on the interior.
I guess I'm just old

Most definitely Wayne. I've got a real nice sytem at home and crank that up at times too. It's much louder!

I'm no spring chicken either. If you drive a G you're young at heart which is what matters.

Old 11-05-2005, 06:24 PM
I noticed the same thing, sounds like a completely different system at 20.