G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

2003 Brake Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 01:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even if you're not comfortable changing them yourself, you still have options. I ordered Akebono ceramic pads for the front online for $58 and had a brake shop install them and turn the disks for $95. I'm still ahead at least $100. The new pads brake great, don't squeal and will probably dust the wheels a lot less. And I bet they last longer than the 16K miles my last set of OEM pads lasted.

Old 12-15-2005, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by sheltonh
yeah...its worn down that much...i don't doubt that...i just want to see which route i should take. i did quite a bit of stop and go traffic these few months.
Are you saying the same dealer who replaced your brakes 2 months ago is now telling you that you need new brakes? Did they give you any explaination for why they wore out so fast- theres got to be something mechanically wrong with the wheels/brake system. I don't think you are relaying the whole story here. Posts like this drive G owners crazy.

Old 12-19-2005, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by Boomer23
Even if you're not comfortable changing them yourself, you still have options. I ordered Akebono ceramic pads for the front online for $58 and had a brake shop install them and turn the disks for $95. I'm still ahead at least $100. The new pads brake great, don't squeal and will probably dust the wheels a lot less. And I bet they last longer than the 16K miles my last set of OEM pads lasted.
Hey Boomer23-
How are those Akebono pads working for you? How do they compare to the originals? The independent shop that is doing my brake job this thursday recommends these pads. He said that they will perform the same, be a lot quieter, and produce a lot less dust. There aren't too many comments about these pads on this web site. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 12-24-2005, 03:26 AM
Whats wrong with these brake pads? why do they only last 15k miles? I've been riding mine for a bit longer, but they been making all kinds of noises. I saw an article online about a class action lawsuit against Nissan about the brakes. The conclusion of the article was that Nissan/Infiniti will cover the brakes on the 03 and the 04 models under warranty. Anyone else heard of this?

Old 12-24-2005, 03:50 AM
Mine was covered for 3 years or 36000..

Old 12-24-2005, 12:19 PM
Mine were covered for 3yrs/36K miles. If you search this topic, you will find plenty of threads of people complaining about the life span of the oem pads. I am at 40K. Most dealers will not cover them if you are one day or one mile over the warranty. If you are close, get them checked out.

Just got some akebono pads and new stock rotors on the car. Haven't got a chance to test them out yet. I will post a review in a couple of weeks. So far, the brakes are not grabby at low speeds. More of a progressive feel...These are ceramic pads. No noise! They are supposed to have minimal dust. I will update everyone later.

Old 12-24-2005, 08:33 PM
you could easily warp the rotors in 2 months, especially if you just had them turned at the first replacement. I never turn rotors, just get new ones. Yeah, it is a bit more expensive, but turned rotors will just warp faster anyway. Then you have to go back again sooner for another turning and new pads and/or new rotors anyway. If you drive the car in hard stop and go traffic, or perform alot of high speed stops just get new rotors - dont turn the old ones.

Old 12-29-2005, 02:39 AM
Reply on Akebono pads

I've had these (ceramics) on the front of my 2003 sedan for about 2 weeks now, with the stock discs. No noise, progressive and less grabby feel on initial pedal. I don't have any word yet on the dust issue, been too lazy and busy with Christmas to wash her, but I'll do it this weekend. So far I like the Akebonos. Boomer

Old 12-29-2005, 09:05 AM
Be diligent about the inspection before your 3/36mo warranty. I brought my car in at 32K and they said I was good. I brought my car in for an oil change at 37 and they said, your out of warranty since you need new break pads. The "claim" they have to send the pads to Nissian to get refunded. Be careful though, because I had my first brake pad change at 18K and they put some better pads on and I took a look at them and they still have at least 5K left on them. Basically, the tech was hoping I was an idiot and would just belive him when he told me I had 1 mm left. Well, you know what, my brakes don't squeel from the warning sensors (the ones that let you know its time to change). Besides, I bought some Hawks HPS that I will be switching out when it is time. I bought both front and back for 100 shipped. Consider doing it yourself. There is a great DYI in changing your pads. It's easy. The fact that you didnt give the dealership 150 for doing something that should cost $50 will give you great satisfaction!

Old 01-05-2006, 09:25 PM
As this is the most recent brake thread, I just want to thank everyone for all the tons of posts regarding the brakes. I just bought a 2003 G35 sedan with 33000 miles yesterday, but b/c it was first purchased in July 2002, the brake warranty had run. Were it not for these boards, I wouldn't have known the specifics - I was able to work them down another $500 for not having the brake warranty remaining because of it. In the end, it turned out there were aftermarket brakes on the front anyway, with the rear down to 40%.

Old 01-06-2006, 10:31 AM
the reason that rotors go untrue faster after they are turned is because of the equipment they use the turn them. when rotors are turned off the car, and then remounted they are going to be slightly untrue, and that's where the problem begins. they become untrue from bolting them on. even a brand new set of rotors will be slightly untrue when tightened on. for a perfect brake install of new or used rotors, they need to be tightened on and then turned with an "on the car brake lathe" so that there is no more warping from tightening the rotor on. and...they should have brand new pads installed at that point.

Old 01-06-2006, 09:57 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ABQ_G35
I think there is some miscommunication going on between him and the dealer, maybe they just checked the brakes two months ago, even someone I know with a G that rides the brakes got like 12k on the first pads.
$300 to "check" your brakes?? Hell, I'll "check" them for only $200 - give me a call and we'll make an appointment !!

Old 01-06-2006, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by sheltonh
yeah...its worn down that much...i don't doubt that...i just want to see which route i should take. i did quite a bit of stop and go traffic these few months.
Did you have these same issues with your previous vehicles? This could only be the result of your driving style and it wouldn't be unique to the G. Unless something is wrong with your car or they sold you wack pads last time

Old 01-06-2006, 11:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dbarnes
$300 to "check" your brakes?? Hell, I'll "check" them for only $200 - give me a call and we'll make an appointment !!
Well, perhaps it was in for other service, I bet the dealer charges more than $300 for a brake job!

Old 01-07-2006, 10:31 AM
A brake job for the G from a dealer in San Diego is about $250 for pads and resurfacing rotors. If you need new rotors the total cost is about $500...It is about the same price at the Ford and Acura dealers too...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2003 Brake Replacement