G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

The Right Snow Tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 06:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Right Snow Tires

I live in Illinois so I'll only have to have snow tires on from around december to somewhere around february. My 03 G35 is currently horrible in the snow. A lot of slipping and difficult manuevering even when theres just a little bit of slushy snow around.

My main concern is traction in the snow, I'm not worried about losing speed or anything since it's only 3 or 4 months that these tires will be on. I'm not racing anyone or anything.

So what's the difference between snow tires? I'm most concerned about traction, cost, and how long they will last.

Oh and thanks again for all the help that I keep getting from the forums. I actually installed my momo shifter and my aluminum pedals by myself after the crazy prices the local dealerships were asking for.

Old 12-12-2005, 06:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've read recently the Dunlop M3's are pretty hot and the Blizzak LM-22's as well. I have Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2's & they are decent. The tread compound on winter tires is softer, so you can't corner as hard as you could on all seasons or summer tires....that's for sure. Also, they're really not loud either (as you think they could be). Another thing I notice, due to the softer compound, is when you're on dry pavement and going in a straight line...if you get on the gas, the slip light will come on for a second. As for how long they'll last...I use mine for 3-4 months as well per year. I'm guessing I'll get 3-4 seasons out of them (say 20-30K miles)?

Hope that helps. There's a bunch of feedback on snows lately due to the season...search up!

Old 12-12-2005, 06:48 PM
The 2 to consider in my opinion are:

ws50 blizzaks, best snow/ice traction you can get ... but you will sacrifice a lot of handling, should last 3-4 winter seasons.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=Blizzak+WS-50

the Dunlop M3s are not quite as good with snow traction as the blizzacks but they have much greater dry road performance and handling. Not sure how long they will last but I would figure 3+ seasons as well.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....inter+Sport+M3

You might want to take a look at the LM-22s as well http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=Blizzak+LM-22

I am on my 3rd winter with the ws50s and will be getting the M3s for the next.

Old 12-12-2005, 07:16 PM
It works on my machine
The M3's are the best all around winter tire for the Chicago area IMO. Last snow fall I felt very much in control and you don't really loose to much in the dry performance. I'm also wondering, are you from the Chicago area, because we sometimes manage to get snow until April.

Old 12-12-2005, 07:31 PM
Hmm thanks everyone I decided to purchase the Blizzaks off tirerack. They were cheaper and they'll probably last me a bit longer than most people since my school and job are so close.

And your right about the snow in april thing. I guess I'd probably take mine off as soon as it hits the 50 degree mark on a steady basis, so somewhere around march or so. I might have to deal with a snowstorm or two after that but I suppose I'll manage.

Old 12-13-2005, 10:51 AM
I got the Blizaks from TireRack as well. They are not performance tires but they are great in the snow. They have a very floaty ride on dry pavement. But it's only for 3 months, so I can easily live with it. They are also a great value. I hope you like them.

One more thing. Having a winter package means that when my Eagle RS All Season's need replacing, I will be getting some grippy summer performance tires. Having two sets of wheels means that you can have the best of both worlds

Old 12-13-2005, 02:09 PM
17" Lm-22

Old 12-13-2005, 02:15 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Blizzak LM-22's and love 'em. Also had the WS50's which were good too.
C.

Old 12-13-2005, 03:25 PM
Alpin's. Great tire. I drive about 100 miles roundtrip daily and these are fantastic. I had no issues this last snow storm (Chicago) and am on my third set on two vehicles.

Old 12-21-2005, 04:56 PM
scc
I bought the Blizzaks a few weeks ago after getting such crap from the guys on the site about not having snow tires on my '05 RWD sedan. SO - I went ahead and made the purchase, had them put on the afternoon we were getting 10 inches here in Chicago. Around 9pm I went out to try them out. They blew my mind!!!! Ii was roaring past SUVs, very little to no sliping. Truly unbelievable. Even took the bags of sand out of my car. Get these tires!! And they are great on dry pavement as well, quit, great handling etc. I had 235-45 s18 ummer tires on - and swapped them out for the Blizzaks - same size even, so visually the car still looks sweet. I am a total convert. And so glad I didn't shell out the money for the X model.

Originally Posted by myG35ZX
Alpin's. Great tire. I drive about 100 miles roundtrip daily and these are fantastic. I had no issues this last snow storm (Chicago) and am on my third set on two vehicles.

Old 12-21-2005, 06:01 PM
It works on my machine
Wich blizzaks did you get?

Old 12-21-2005, 07:14 PM
just make sure you get v rated snows.. I used to go from W rated summer tires to blizzaks before v rated snows came out and the dry pavement winter handling was much different with the snows than the summer tires.

Old 12-21-2005, 07:15 PM
I got the Dunlop Graspic DS2's from Tirerack. If you're looking for a low priced ($100 each) yet very effective snow tire, these fit the bill. The dry handling isn't great, but still good enough to feel safe with them on the road at all times. They are more like a normal car's ride than a sports car, but like you, they'll only be on for a couple months and i'm not looking to race or corner hard when its this cold out and the roads are still salted.

Old 12-22-2005, 11:30 AM
I got the 17" Blizzak WS-50 tires on my 05 6MT sedan. They are amazing in snow, but on cold dry pavement, I've found that they spin easily under moderate to hard accelleration. I think it's a tradeoff I'm willing to make, ever since I had the most frightening drive of my life on the 18" Turanza's. I just need to stop driving like a maniac (so tough to do in this car).

Old 12-22-2005, 09:37 PM
How many of you guys bought dedicated wheels for your snows? I can see spending $500 for tires and install, but not $1000.

Any reason outside of convenience to get dedicated wheels? I have the stock non-sport 17s from '03.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The Right Snow Tires