G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Ran Off A Curb

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 04:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Ran Off A Curb

Ugh..so today kind of worried me a bit. I was in the parking lot of an elementary school because I was there for some school club business to help out and as I was going to leave the parking lot, an unfortunate event happened. Not noticing that I was parked right next to the exit ramp already, I proceeded to reverse out of the parking spot and managed to go too much and actually PASS the exit ramp and drove right off a curb. It was really dark and I couldn't even tell that I was going to be driving off a curb. The curb was a little higher than those regular curbs that are out on the streets and I heard two loud :thunks: as my front end went down first and my rear end shortly after. I was probably going 5 mph or so, but driving off the curb like that and hearing such loud noises got me worried if I had damaged anything on the car. I checked the front and rear bumpers first and then the side skirts and there seems to be no damage done. Then I looked under and felt the underbody to see if there were scratches on the bumpers and side skirts, still nothing found. Bent down and examined my exhaust and it doesn't seem as if any damage was done to it. Now I'm not exactly sure how my car went off that curb, but since it did make two loud :thunks:, something must've been hit right...? I'm just wondering what this could be...do any of you guys have an idea or similar experience? I hope that stupid mistake didn't hurt my car in any form or matter...only 3.5k miles on it. My friend thinks that since there seems to be no visible damage on the bottom of the car, then it could've just been the noise of the suspensions...but the thunks I heard seem as if something were hit because it sounded like an impact noise . Feedback please

Old 01-14-2006, 04:25 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would start by checking my suspension, if your car can still pull straight, then you should be fine with your suspension geometry. However, if your car starts to pull to one side, you should try to get an alignment done to see if that can help.

Good luck

Old 01-14-2006, 11:58 AM
Red face

Same kinda thing happend to me a few weeks ago.I was driving to a movie and was making a u turn(The road was being worked on) and all of a sudden my car slamed down and then poped up like i was in a truck off roading. It made to big sounds like it fcked my front end up.About a min down the road i couldnt take it and had to pull over a examen my car.. Nothing was wrong..Sence it was dark i went back to that u turn the next day to see, their was this huge cut out that was almost about a foot deep like 9inch..There needed to be a cone their or something..Im very lucky to come out of that with no damages.I guess the G is a Off roading beast.

Old 01-15-2006, 02:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check your wheels , once it happened to me and i scratched the rims

Old 01-15-2006, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hit a median in my 96 vet going 20-25 on the brakes as well all I did was scratch the side skirts. It pulled a little bit after but all is fine. I would not woory about it at all. Ohh BTW crashed the vet three days later, drifted into the rear end of a 1 ton Ram pick up truck @ a good rate of speed.

Truck was fine, car split in half. gone for now..................

Old 01-15-2006, 07:05 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
YOu need to get the car up off the ground to closely inspect the underside.
If the car is driving ok then you may not have damaged anythingm but you want to confirm that in case you damaged the suspension which will mess up you alignment.
G/L
C.

Old 01-16-2006, 12:11 AM
Thanks to most of you who gave actual feedback rather than ... I did let the car just roll without me touching the steering wheel and it went straight so I don't think anything is wrong with the suspension/alignment. Also, basus, I checked the rims and nothing was wrong with them so that's a plus. I will check the underside of the car more closely once I can jack it up since I need to install my splashguards later anyways.

Old 01-16-2006, 09:07 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
Originally Posted by Msedanman
YOu need to get the car up off the ground to closely inspect the underside.
+1. Jack it up or get it on a lift and check the underside carefully. Chances are if you did hit anything you'll see scratches or gouges under there.