Dyno 05 5AT w/Stillen exhaust, Crawford cats, and Z-tube

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 07:01 PM
English dude, English
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by G35_TX
Wow, did I lose a few brain cells by reading this stupid post?

Originally Posted by DaveB
Why waste our time with a comment like this? Why not post something worthwhile to read?

I agree Dave. I too am also tired of lame posts. Instead of putting someone down. State your facts. It helps us (uneducated ones) to get a somewhat better understanding of whats going on.

Now I don't know what your two's history is, but... quit trying to prove each other wrong. I don't like know it all's, nor do most people. We come here for some good old learnin'. I respect both of you for your knowledge so don't get me wrong. Keep the positive posts coming.

Last edited by Skyline_G35; 01-23-2006 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:02 PM
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Skyline_G35
I agree. I tired of lame posts. Instead of putting someone down. State your facts. It helps us (uneducated ones) to get a somewhat better understanding of whats going on.
I agree. DaveB needs to put more facts down from now on. Until then I think he needs to keep his mouth shut.

Old 01-23-2006, 07:32 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Russ, you are a complete ****. I've tried to search around. I know of some differences but not all. It's too hard to wade though pages of drivel to gain one little snippet of info.

ESPECIALLY when you are trying to rip Dave a new one by stating his posts hold NO water until he posts some "facts". Now I don't know if this is a record for hypocrisy, but it has to be at least in the top 5 for this board.

Search is your friend. Click on it.

Last edited by Jeff92se; 01-23-2006 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:41 PM
Red Card Crew

You agree? He's actually agreeing with Dave.

I agree. DaveB needs to put more facts down from now on. Until then I think he needs to keep his mouth shut.

Old 01-23-2006, 08:33 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
You agree? He's actually agreeing with Dave.
I agree has a period after it. That means the next sentence can introduce a new idea

Old 01-23-2006, 08:52 PM
Let me see. I guess Infiniti will need to re-write the following sections of their Factory service manuals;

2003 G35 Sedan EC section - Revise current terminology to Phase I & Phase II;
All manuals EC sections - Properly explain how the ECM controls and adapts;
All manuals AT sections - Add 3rd gear to the torque converter lock-up… Infiniti currently recognizes only 4th and 5th gear.

Did I miss anything?

Oh Ya, I guess I'll need to get the local postage scale re-calibrated (it's reading real high), go back to school to learn how a thermal clutch fan really works, discard my fan conversion dyno results, & re-write my test results as none of them conform to the latest proclamation.

DaveO

Last edited by DaveO; 01-23-2006 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:54 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Hmmm, I know that dyno results are not 'exact' measurements, but I would expect more power from a 05 sedan. 217/216 seems very low with those mods. Supposedly Crawford claims 15whp for the CAT alone and Stillen claims 15whp for their exhaust as well. I would expect a 05 sedan with high flow cat and exhaust to be making at least 240whp.

Old 01-23-2006, 10:04 PM
English dude, English
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just speculation. But is it possible that maybe Infiniti put an older engine in this particular 05?

Old 01-23-2006, 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by Skyline_G35
Just speculation. But is it possible that maybe Infiniti put an older engine in this particular 05?
Haha....no! I think that the dyno I went to was screwed up. Maybe I'm wrong, but it makes no sense that those 2 mods only made 6whp/6wtq and that baseline I was at a measly 211whp. I'll dyno once again when I get to Hawaii if I don't dyno this coming Saturday in SC when I install the Alphawerks headers and Motordyne spacer. Anyway, I guess only time will tell.

Old 01-23-2006, 11:07 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After looking at the graph, I gotta think something's wrong with the results. I can't speculate as to what the problem is, be it operator, dyno, setup, or other equipment, but something isn't quite right. If you look at the curves, they appear to be *exactly* the same, throughout the entire range. The delta seems to be consisten the whole way through. That's what doesn't make sense to me. Adding cats and an exhaust should change the profile of the curve, at least by a little.

Who knows...

Old 01-24-2006, 12:13 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Russ, you're failing to convince me.

Let's see here. My 04 G35 Sedan weighed in at 3420 without me.
Amazingly close to what my 03 5AT weighs if I had a little less fuel and no tools onboard.

The 05 weighs in around 3500+ (haven't weighed mine yet). Could be 150+ lb heavier.

Yes there is more weighed added Dave. It is obvious by your post above that you again have no clue what your talking about! How many more stupid posts are you going to make?

The car gained weight from:

Wheels / Tires
I used your data as a reference because you proclaimed from a top mountain in a Godly roar that your Sport 18" wheels/tires weighed no more than you're old Sport 17s. I'll give 0lbs.

Engine internals slightly more weight
I already mentioned the cam timing equipment. How much do you really think one of those servos weighs I'll spot you 3lbs. There have been some other revisions to the Rev-Up motor, but they hardly add any weight. Search is your friend on this one.

Front facia, front fenders, different grill, different tail lights.
Let me go out in the garage and check something. Yep, my 03 came with a front facia, front fenders, grill, and tail lights. I'll give you 0lbs.

Interior quality better made (soft material than plastic, alum center console, more sound deaden materials).
Umm...that soft material is called plastic. I've had an 05 G35 loaner. It was neither more refined or quieter and the engine was actually far more thrashy. The dash plastic composition was the same. I'd bet you $1,000 that the aluminum covered PLASTIC center console weighs the same as an 03/04 plastic console.

Everyone so easily forgets that the 05s also have a much smaller midpipe resonator which means about 20lbs less weight.

Last edited by DaveB; 01-24-2006 at 12:16 AM.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:31 AM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by DaveB
Russ, you're failing to convince me.

Amazingly close to what my 03 5AT weighs if I had a little less fuel and no tools onboard.

I used your data as a reference because you proclaimed from a top mountain in a Godly roar that your Sport 18" wheels/tires weighed no more than you're old Sport 17s. I'll give 0lbs.

I already mentioned the cam timing equipment. How much do you really think one of those servos weighs I'll spot you 3lbs. There have been some other revisions to the Rev-Up motor, but they hardly add any weight. Search is your friend on this one.

Let me go out in the garage and check something. Yep, my 03 came with a front facia, front fenders, grill, and tail lights. I'll give you 0lbs.

Umm...that soft material is called plastic. I've had an 05 G35 loaner. It was neither more refined or quieter and the engine was actually far more thrashy. The dash plastic composition was the same. I'd bet you $1,000 that the aluminum covered PLASTIC center console weighs the same as an 03/04 plastic console.

Everyone so easily forgets that the 05s also have a much smaller midpipe resonator which means about 20lbs less weight.

1) The front end parts are heavier because they are larger.

2) The interior of the 05 is different than the 03-04. Obviously again you didn't look hard enough. There is nothing hard plastic anymore in the G35 except right where the keyhole is (but is now textured) and aroun the window controls. Everything is padded now like the dash. The cluster is now padded, the center console around the alum is all padded, real alum dash. Again you can't deny the facts but your trying your best too.

Your trying your best to make your 03 you bought the best G35 period.

I be amazed if the center console of the 05 weighs the same as the 03-04. Well you have a job don't you. Prove us wrong.

Oh so easily forgotten that the muffler on the 05 is larger than the 04. Oh so added weight.

It's obvious you know better than Nissan what is in the car and what is different. Oh and Nissan doesn't know the weight correctly either. Wow, seems Dave your the only one spilling this far fetched stuff. I see others backing me up a bit here as well in another way.

Let me have what your smoking!

Last edited by G35_TX; 01-24-2006 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:34 AM
Red Card Crew

You know, if there is any real documented information regarding weights/hp/differenences inbetween years, it would make much more sense to sticky it in the Sedan section. Because by now, no one actually points out specific threads. It's just "use search". In fact, DaveB is the only one that actually has put any specific #s to his posts. DaveO seems to have done quite a bit of interesting research. DaveO instead of getting frustrated by people that don't "search", gather it up in a Sedan section sticky. I think THAT would really cut down on the repeat questions AND it would get your hard research exposed to the masses

Old 01-24-2006, 12:45 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
1) The front end parts are heavier because they are larger.
Huh? Same wheel base, same overall length within a couple tenths of an inch.

2) The interior of the 05 is different than the 03-04. Obviously again you didn't look hard enough. There is nothing hard plastic anymore in the G35 except right where the keyhole is (but is now textured) and aroun the window controls. Everything is padded now like the dash. The cluster is now padded, the center console around the alum is all padded, real alum dash. Again you can't deny the facts but your trying your best too.
Yes, the interior is different. I guess I don't know what you're smoking because the last time I checked, the upper pad of my dash was foam-injected plastic (ie the soft stuff) as is the upper glove box cover. The dash pod and HVAC pod are now foam-injected plastic. And the door handles and window controls are covered with padded-vinyl now. How much do you really think this stuff weighs? Am I crazy to think these parts weigh no more than the ones they replaced? Seriously Russ, tell me why you think this stuff is so heavy. Do you think it's made out of steel or something

Your trying your best to make your 03 you bought the best G35 period.
Hardly. On multiple occasions I said if I totalled my 03, I'd probably get a used 05.

Oh so easily forgotten that the muffler on the 05 is larger than the 04. Oh so added weight.
Yeah. It's so much bigger I'll spot you 2lbs.

https://g35driver.com/forums/attachm...4&d=1135823856

Old 01-24-2006, 12:48 PM
Red Card Crew

Dave, stop posting actual proof. It screws up the flow in ths thread.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dyno 05 5AT w/Stillen exhaust, Crawford cats, and Z-tube