G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Self servicing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 06:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Self servicing

How much has it cost people per trip to the dealership to service their car? I'm approaching my first 7500 mile service and the dealership is charging me $145 to change the oil, top off fluids, clean out brakes, and rotate the tires.

Also does anyone here do the various servicing themselves rather than taking it into the dealership? Of course, I wouldn't be considering this unless I knew what I was doing.

Old 09-03-2003, 06:55 PM
Re: Self servicing

I took my G to the dealer for the 7500 mile service a month ago and it cost me $71.56. Since I get free oil changes, the price of the oil change was deducted from the regular price. I’m not positive how much an oil change costs, but I think it’s between $30-40.
Jen

Old 09-03-2003, 06:59 PM

How did you get free oil changes?

The oil change costs about $41 after taxes according to my dealer up here in Seattle. Since they're the only Infiniti dealership up here, they can charge a little higher and get away with it. I was thinking about doing the "easy" stuff like oil changes and topping off fluids myself and for the harder stuff, bring that in.

Old 09-03-2003, 07:18 PM

Not entirely sure. We went through Costco for the car purchase, which basically means that we used Infiniti’s fleet/internet department. I think the free oil changes are this dealership’s standard offer. The first time I went in they tried to charge me for my oil change, (I had forgotten my free oil change form) and I think it was about $38.

The deal is not as good as it sounds when you hear the rest of it. I get free oil changes for the life of my car, only at this particular dealership, and only as long as I complete their recommended maintenance. So far, the only maintenance I’ve had to do is the oil change at 3750 and the recommended stuff at 7500. As long as it continues like this, then I’m OK with it.

There is one final catch, the dealer is 50 miles one way from my house. There’s one closer, but I believe that it has a different owner. Basically, I get a free oil change as long as I’m willing to put 100 mi on my car to do it.
Jen

Old 09-03-2003, 08:23 PM
IQ9

In the San Francisco Bay Area we pay about 62 bucks for an oil change. The same oil change on a 350Z costs 28 bucks-same filter, same oil, same ducting to remove but we have the Infiniti name[img]/w3timages/icons/mad.gif[/img]

03.5 Sedan/B. Silver/Prem/Winter/Aero/Tint/Rims
69 Chevelle Hard Top BB/4.11's/Posi

Old 09-03-2003, 08:41 PM

Interesting, the Costco in your area was offering that deal? I know you can buy motor oil at Costco in bulk. The question is, I need to figure out where the oil filter is. Has anyone looked into that?

See the thing is, I'm not sure I need to do all the dealer recommended services. When I owned my Toyota Corolla, it ran for 160,000 miles with no problems. I maintained it myself with the same methods that I will use on my G35. I'm thinking that the dealership may tac on a lot of extra things that you really don't need. And the main thing is the oil change.

Old 09-03-2003, 08:55 PM

Costco just provided a referral to the dealer. The rest was through the dealer like normal. If you’re a member you can go to Costo.com, click on Services then it’s under Auto Sales.

The free oil changes is just to dissuade people from doing exactly what you did with your Corolla. I, on the other hand, always took my previous car (Civic) to the dealer at regular mileage intervals for them to perform the scheduled maintenance. The only maintenance I performed was putting a new air filter in. So now, with the free oil change offer, the Infiniti dealer 50 mi away is getting my $ instead of the one 15 mi away.

Here’s a link to the Oil Change How To from the FAQ & DIY forum. It has a picture of where the oil filter goes.

https://g35driver.com/forums/showfla...sed&sb=5&part=

I’m sure you’re right about being able to maintain the car your self—at least, I really hope you’re right, ‘cause I expect an Infiniti to be reliable.
Jen

Trending Topics

Old 09-03-2003, 10:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get the crush washers and the OEM filters at any Nissan parts department. You can find K&N filters at AutoZone. You can find a 5 quart jug of Mobile 1 5-30w synthetic at Walmart for $18.88.

You can top off other fluids yourself; rotating tires front to back is easy. Checking breaks has been documented (just do a search).

About the only thing I haven't seen fully documented is how to actually change brake pads. But you can buy brake pads for $75 for the set of 4 from what I understand. I'll let you know when I get enough miles

To me it's not about saving money so much as it is about pride of ownership.

--Steve

Old 09-04-2003, 12:01 AM

I've done all my own scheduled maintenance from day one, with the exception checking the auto trans fluid level and condition (color, smell, etc.).

American Infiniti/Nissan says the auto trans is NOT CUSTOMER SERVICEABLE. And they get quite indignant when you question or challenge their position.

There's no AT dipstick. It takes a special tool you can't buy. There's no part number, picture or information available on this special tool.

Now if you're a Canadian, or have a Canadian G or Z, you're smart enough to check the AT fluid yourself and your car will have a dipstick. You're close to Canada. Buy several for your friends and fellow forum members.

Old 09-04-2003, 07:33 AM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I bring my own oil for the oil changes. I've been using
Castrol Syntec 10W40 synthetic oil. The dealer charges me
around $19 for the oil change.

2003 Twilight Blue Sedan 5AT, sunroof, Graphite Leather,
splashguards, GG red 8 wire Hypergrounding kit, 350Z intake duct, K&N filter.