G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Viper 791 alarm..is New Key/fob a must???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 02:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Viper 791 alarm..is New Key/fob a must???

Part1: Anybody have the 791xv? I'd like to know your thoughts on it and if theres anything specific I need to make sure is done when I get it installed.
Im debating hooking up the autostart or not...Ive heard it can give issues (havent heard anything on Infini's but other makes), as well as this extra key BS...

Part2: I just got the viper 791 xv and the installer says I need an extra key to get the autostart to work. Anybody heard of this?? i only have 1 key/fob so i'd love to skip this "necessity" if possible...
Anyway, so I went to the dealer to inquire about a new key and he told me it'd be $220. I groaned and bore it, but then i realized im gonna need a fob as well, (another $240)...The key is a wash, but Im really not trying to hear $500 additional for a $500 alarm system, so if anybody knows where/how to get another fob I'd really appreciate it. I was looking around & found the DIY on how to program it, so i'd assume their on sale somewhere. Thanks
Ras

Old 04-05-2006, 03:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have that alarm...its works great IMO. Get the Autostart...I have not had issues with that but be ready to give up you other key because the G was designed that you need to...something about the transponder your installer should clarify it better...all alarms that have autostart in a G is required to do that...jsut give them your valet key works the same...the only thing i did not like about the viper alarm is the blue case....should have gotten the clifford cuz that has "carbon fiber" look to it...its all the same alarm viper and clifford...both comes from directed. hope that helps

Originally Posted by rasdamak
Part1: Anybody have the 791xv? I'd like to know your thoughts on it and if theres anything specific I need to make sure is done when I get it installed.
Im debating hooking up the autostart or not...Ive heard it can give issues (havent heard anything on Infini's but other makes), as well as this extra key BS...

Part2: I just got the viper 791 xv and the installer says I need an extra key to get the autostart to work. Anybody heard of this?? i only have 1 key/fob so i'd love to skip this "necessity" if possible...
Anyway, so I went to the dealer to inquire about a new key and he told me it'd be $220. I groaned and bore it, but then i realized im gonna need a fob as well, (another $240)...The key is a wash, but Im really not trying to hear $500 additional for a $500 alarm system, so if anybody knows where/how to get another fob I'd really appreciate it. I was looking around & found the DIY on how to program it, so i'd assume their on sale somewhere. Thanks
Ras

Old 04-05-2006, 03:33 PM
Get the Python 881xv instead, same as 791xv but with black carbon look transmitter.

Old 04-05-2006, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by spoiled808177
I have that alarm...its works great IMO. Get the Autostart...I have not had issues with that but be ready to give up you other key because the G was designed that you need to...something about the transponder your installer should clarify it better...all alarms that have autostart in a G is required to do that...jsut give them your valet key works the same...the only thing i did not like about the viper alarm is the blue case....should have gotten the clifford cuz that has "carbon fiber" look to it...its all the same alarm viper and clifford...both comes from directed. hope that helps

Thanks. I didnt get a valet key so, im just gonna give em the spare.
With the install, was your sensitivity level set right or did you have to play with it to stop the false alarms?

Old 04-05-2006, 03:41 PM
Banned
you loose the smart key features, no more pushing button on door to lock/unlock doors. you will always have to hit the alarm remote to get in/out.

Old 04-05-2006, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by killerlexus
you loose the smart key features, no more pushing button on door to lock/unlock doors. you will always have to hit the alarm remote to get in/out.
So I really dont need the fob anymore?

Old 04-05-2006, 05:47 PM
I have it on my 04 sedan love it. I had them install my windows to channels 3&4 so I can still roll them down with the remote. I also used my valet key. And have them hook up the rear defroster to come on when you remote start it.

Old 04-05-2006, 08:19 PM
i don't use my key fob anymore...you can get the viper programed to do everything the keyfob does...i believe to can adjust the sensitity on it..

Old 04-05-2006, 11:20 PM
I have the Python 881XP and I did NOT get the remote start installed. It seemed expensive for something I would use infrequently and that might be a source of trouble. If you do get remote start, you need to give one of your transponder keys (not the wallet key) to them to lock into a box in the dash to tell the ignition that it is OK to start. I thought a new key was about $150. By the way, they might mangle your key on purpose so the box can't be opened and the key used to drive off.

Your remote fob is NOT used in the install and will not be needed afterward. In fact, I think you can trigger the alarm by using the factory remote, since, for example, opening the trunk with the factory alarm does not deactivate the Python, so it thinks your trunk has been broken in to.

I had an episode like that once when I opened the trunk with the factory remote by mistake. The only way I could get the alarm off was by taking the battery out of the remote and putting it back in. I never wuite figured out what went wrong.

I had them program my windows for remote up AND down to the Python remote and also my trunk opening.

The sensitivity seems good but can be adjusted with a screwdriver on mine and by the remote on the slightly newer models.

Old 04-06-2006, 06:52 AM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
With the alarm installed correctly you should be able to get rid of the OEM keyfob completely, you won't need it for anything. The Viper alarm will arm and disarm the OEM security system, and you can always use the key in the drivers key cylinder to disarm the OEM system if for some reason you need to.

Having auto start is like having a car with power windows for the first time, once you have it you have no clue how you ever lived without it, but thats coming from a guy who lives in Ohio, where it snows in April. Out in Cali I would be more worried about the ability to open/vent windows and open/vent the sunroof to let the hot air out.

I would agree that the Viper and Python are very similar alarms (almost exact) but I would not agree that Viper and Clifford are the same alarm, although they are both owned my DEI. Clifford was bought out by DEI several years back, and they have maintained quite a bit of Cliffords technology in the Clifford line. I have never been a fan of Clifford personally, but many people swear by it.

Good luck with the install.

Oh, and one note or warning, MAKE SURE you tell your installer that there have been several cases of water dripping on the BCM because of the wires that run in to the drivers door. You have to break the waterproof seal to get to the lock/unlock and arm/disarm wires. Once you break the seal it is possible for water to channel down your wires and drip right on the to the BCM, so make sure the installer seals up the hole he makes!

Old 04-06-2006, 05:13 PM
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
i have the viper alarm system and what i did was actually just cut off part of the key so no one can just try to break in to steal the key used for the remote start transmitter and try to start up my car.

yes my windows roll up and down, trunk opens up and other stuff on my viper5000 alarm system.

Old 04-07-2006, 04:10 AM
Banned
now the button next to your door handle will be useless. you will always HAVE to hit the remote to lock/unlock no more just pushing the button and going.no more smart key functions.

Old 05-16-2006, 12:10 PM
I had a question about this alarm. I have it in a 03 G35 Sedan. When I hit the unlock/disarm button it delays to unlock the doors for like 1.5 secs. Are any of yours like this? I was told that it does it cause it has to disable the factory alarm and its on a double pulse. Can I get it to unlock right away???

also
Originally Posted by killerlexus
This is not true, my switches still work

Old 05-16-2006, 12:30 PM
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
it really is delayed that long? i would ask the installer

Old 05-16-2006, 01:04 PM
Yes mine delays for a second as well...it can be a real pain, especially when you have a passenger overeager to ride in the G.