G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Is it really necessary to change the cabin air filter?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 12:06 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by SixFive
You could have gotten a charcoal Hepa filter from Gordgee for less than that crap stock nissan filter - I got 2 for 83 bucks or something shipped. The air smells clean.
I did use Gordgee's filter my first time around, and while it was OK (and I think his GroundingGear is awesome and I'm a big believer since I have his 10 wire kit), I went with the OEM charcoal filter the next time around because it fit better and in my opinion is of better quality that Gordgee's. I agree with you, though, that the standard non-charcoal filter is less effective than either charcoal filter.

I don't see how fresh air bypasses the filter either. All fanned air is going past the filter box.
I'm not sure who this is directed to, but I agree that the HVAC system (which includes simple fresh air ventilation) runs everything past the filter.

Old 04-27-2006, 12:12 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by BigSash
i don't get why people are so scared to take apart the dash on the G, it is pretty ****ing easy despite how much work it looks like. After taking my whole dash apart like 5 times I can do it in less than 10 minutes, and that is the whole dash. to access the cabin filter probably takes like 3 minuntes man. like 7 screws. really easy and there are lots of DIY guides with very descriptive instructions for audio installs.
Because we Americans have changed for the worse over the years . . . from common sense and self reliance and responsibility . . . to being lazy, relying on others, and excuse ridden.

Just look at the post that started this thread. You've got some guy who is leasing a car. This means the leasing company owns the vehicle, and it is very likely that another consumer will buy his vehicle when the lease expires. Does the poster care about maintaining his vehicle properly per his lease agreement? No. Does the poster care about the next guy who will own his car? No. Does the poster care about making sure he's under warranty for the next three years even if he doesn't do what he's supposed to so Nissan pays instead of him? Yes. You get the idea.

I'm sorry I'm going off on this thread, but here we have something so basic and simple as changing an air cabin filter, and instead of just doing it we've got more time being spent on this thread than if he just ordered the filter on-line and took the 10 minutes to install it himself. Geesh!

Old 04-27-2006, 12:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MiamiG35sedan
Because we Americans have changed for the worse over the years . . . from common sense and self reliance and responsibility . . . to being lazy, relying on others, and excuse ridden.

Just look at the post that started this thread. You've got some guy who is leasing a car. This means the leasing company owns the vehicle, and it is very likely that another consumer will buy his vehicle when the lease expires. Does the poster care about maintaining his vehicle properly per his lease agreement? No. Does the poster care about the next guy who will own his car? No. Does the poster care about making sure he's under warranty for the next three years even if he doesn't do what he's supposed to so Nissan pays instead of him? Yes. You get the idea.

I'm sorry I'm going off on this thread, but here we have something so basic and simple as changing an air cabin filter, and instead of just doing it we've got more time being spent on this thread than if he just ordered the filter on-line and took the 10 minutes to install it himself. Geesh!
when the lease expire, the dealer take the car back...they will put their $$ & labor to change it...now for the poster: don't worry buddy, it shouldn't effect any warranty issue. IMO it'll be cheaper to just buy a mask & wear them during driving your G

Old 04-27-2006, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by nate4598
IMO it'll be cheaper to just buy a mask & wear them during driving your G
lol, and btw the dealer probably wouldn't change the filter if it had a family of mice living in it like intgr8r

Old 04-27-2006, 12:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nate4598
when the lease expire, the dealer take the car back...they will put their $$ & labor to change it...now for the poster: don't worry buddy, it shouldn't effect any warranty issue. IMO it'll be cheaper to just buy a mask & wear them during driving your G
LOL! True dat! Let's just walk around like Michael Jackson and his kids with handkerchiefs strapped to our faces because the air is so filthy. Now it's even too filthy to drive through without a damn filter.

Old 04-27-2006, 01:54 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by DP03
If I'm not mistaken, this filter only filters air when the AC is on. Not when fresh air is blowing through the vents. And of course, is useless any time the windows are opened.

So if you use your AC all the time, it may be worth looking at.
It filters air all the time not with just the AC on. That is why you can see it from the hood area when removing the shrouds.

Old 04-27-2006, 01:55 PM
Premier Member

Its actually under the dash but removing those two items I mentioned allows you to have a clear view of it through the vents from the outside area. There would be no possible way for the battery to leak into this area.

Originally Posted by BigSash
dude if you look at your filter and it is filthy, that means all that dirt would've been in the air had it not been for the filter, clean it and it will pick up more dirt, everything little bit counts, even if you do smoke

isn't it a weird placement for a in cabin filter? right under the battery? what happens if battery leaks? i know its a sealed battery but still could happen, then you have toxic battery acid in the cabin to breath or burn passengers.

Old 04-27-2006, 03:34 PM
i guess you're right otherwise water would come in too. I have taken my battery out and the piece you were talking about that goes up to the windshield, i guess with it there everything is sealed.