G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

2007 G35 sedan test drive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 02:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CV35 6MT
Originally Posted by feeshta
The VQ does not use such high tech gear as Honda's iVTEC, or BMW's VANOS systems, so the specific output per liter will be lower.
You underestimated the amount of analysis I did (granted, I did not include it in my post). I'm not just talking about HP/L. Engine efficiency, regardless of whether it's a high-revving engine, can be measured in volumetric efficiency. VE measures how well the cylinders are filled, and is directly related to specific torque. With 77 ft-lb of torque per liter, the VQ is very efficient (compared to 70 ft-lb/L of the Civic Si and also 77 ft-lb/L of the M5). Maintaining that torque at high rpms is what makes power. (by definition HP = torque (ft-lb) x rpm / 5252) If the VQ needs to rev to 7500rpm just to make 306HP, that means the torque at 7500rpm falls off to 214 lb-ft. That simply doesn't make sense. Mark my words, the VQ does not need to rev to 7500rpm to make 306HP. Not to mention manufacturers usually set the redline higher than the rpm at which peak power is achieved.

Regarding your statement, the new VQ has continuously variable valve timing (camshaft phasing) on both the intake and exhaust side, so it's exactly on par with the technology used by BMW's Double Vanos. Only Valvetronic has advanced continuously-variable valve-lift, which isn't used in the high-revving M motors anyway.

Old 06-28-2006, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by Jspeed
You underestimated the amount of analysis I did (granted, I did not include it in my post). I'm not just talking about HP/L. Engine efficiency, regardless of whether it's a high-revving engine, can be measured in volumetric efficiency. VE measures how well the cylinders are filled, and is directly related to specific torque. With 77 ft-lb of torque per liter, the VQ is very efficient (compared to 70 ft-lb/L of the Civic Si and also 77 ft-lb/L of the M5). Maintaining that torque at high rpms is what makes power. (by definition HP = torque (ft-lb) x rpm / 5252) If the VQ needs to rev to 7500rpm just to make 306HP, that means the torque at 7500rpm falls off to 214 lb-ft. That simply doesn't make sense. Mark my words, the VQ does not need to rev to 7500rpm to make 306HP. Not to mention manufacturers usually set the redline higher than the rpm at which peak power is achieved.

Regarding your statement, the new VQ has continuously variable valve timing (camshaft phasing) on both the intake and exhaust side, so it's exactly on par with the technology used by BMW's Double Vanos. Only Valvetronic has advanced continuously-variable valve-lift, which isn't used in the high-revving M motors anyway.
After looking at it a little deeper, I would agree that it's very doubtfull this engine would require all 7,500 RPM to make 306 HP. I didn't see any mention of the variable timing in the literature I had seen before I posted. My apolgies to anyone I may have offended, but some of the statements seemed exceptionally ignorant without anything to back them up. Obviously everything is not always as it seems.

The high redline seems to me to be an indicaton that this engine is intentianally held back by the programming. The mechanicals are obviously first rate with that high of a redline. So, maybe with aggressive enough programming it could make the higher numbers that some have suggested. Why would they hold the engine back? Any number of factors. Quite possibly they will uncork it and bump the power a bit in the other models with the same engine, for example the coupe or the Z? Might it possibly be able to run regular fuel? For all we know it could even be that the engineers found they liked the sound better at this level of tune and 306 HP was considered plenty to be competitive in the market. I'm sure they have their reasons.

Just out of curiousity, what rpm does this engine make it's peak torque?

Old 06-28-2006, 06:40 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by feeshta
After looking at it a little deeper, I would agree that it's very doubtfull this engine would require all 7,500 RPM to make 306 HP. I didn't see any mention of the variable timing in the literature I had seen before I posted. My apolgies to anyone I may have offended, but some of the statements seemed exceptionally ignorant without anything to back them up. Obviously everything is not always as it seems.

The high redline seems to me to be an indicaton that this engine is intentianally held back by the programming. The mechanicals are obviously first rate with that high of a redline. So, maybe with aggressive enough programming it could make the higher numbers that some have suggested. Why would they hold the engine back? Any number of factors. Quite possibly they will uncork it and bump the power a bit in the other models with the same engine, for example the coupe or the Z? Might it possibly be able to run regular fuel? For all we know it could even be that the engineers found they liked the sound better at this level of tune and 306 HP was considered plenty to be competitive in the market. I'm sure they have their reasons.

Just out of curiousity, what rpm does this engine make it's peak torque?

Maybe the automatic's will make 306 hp to match the Lexus IS350's 306 which only comes in automatic. The 6 speed manual however will have closer to 320 HP which will definitely be class leading!