G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Intelligent Key and Passenger door unlock ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 12:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intelligent Key and Passenger door unlock ???

For those that've been used to the iKey ....

Does this unlock all the doors when you approach or just the driver's door ??

In a normal key fob, you can usually press unlock twice to unlock all doors .... how to do this with iKey (without taking it out & pressing unlock twice?)

Anyone knows what's the normal behavior ?

Also a side note - what's the range of the iKey ? How far away does it "sense" the key and unlock the car ?

Old 10-17-2006, 12:39 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by max2k1
For those that've been used to the iKey ....

Does this unlock all the doors when you approach or just the driver's door ??

In a normal key fob, you can usually press unlock twice to unlock all doors .... how to do this with iKey (without taking it out & pressing unlock twice?)

Anyone knows what's the normal behavior ?

Also a side note - what's the range of the iKey ? How far away does it "sense" the key and unlock the car ?
There is a small button on each front door handle (sedan). Press once to unlock that door, twice to unlock all doors (there is a similar button beside the trunk lid). Leaving the car, pressing once locks all doors. You need to have the fob within about 3 feet of the door or trunk to lock/unlock with these buttons. To start the engine the fob needs to be pretty much inside the cabin.

If you have the premium package, the seat memory and power telescoping wheel can automatically adjust to the correct settings for whichever fob unlocked the car. My wife doesn't drive my car much, but if she drove it last, the seat starts moving back to my settings as soon as I unlock the door (freaked me out the first couple of times).

You can still use the fob to lock and unlock remotely - it has the same range and functionality as a normal fob.

Last edited by Coach; 10-17-2006 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's a silly situation:

My apartment is literally on TOP of my car: the apt is on the 2nd floor, and the carport is underneath it. I'm sure the distance between my bedroom and the vehicle is more than 3ft. But let's say it's within range. Does this mean that when I'm asleep, someone can easily open the doors?

Old 10-17-2006, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by GoofyG28

My apartment is literally on TOP of my car: the apt is on the 2nd floor, and the carport is underneath it. I'm sure the distance between my bedroom and the vehicle is more than 3ft. But let's say it's within range. Does this mean that when I'm asleep, someone can easily open the doors?
Yup. If you slept within 3 feet of your door handle with the fob in the pocket of your jammies then, yes, somebody could unlock your doors. The only way they could start the car and drive away is if you were actually sleeping inside the car with the fob. If that was the case you wouldn't be able to lock the doors - it won't lock with the fob inside.

My guess is your fob would be at least 8-9 feet away from the door handles even if you left it on the floor above your car. No problemo.

Old 10-17-2006, 01:19 PM
@usual_suspect
Thanks for your post --- it clarified the doubts I had

@GoofyG28 -->
The range question I asked was more or less for a similar scenario - but 3ft is acceptable for my case.
Maybe this signal is weaker thru walls -- probably not - but might be something to test out.

Old 10-17-2006, 01:20 PM
DWP

My apartment is literally on TOP of my cаr: the apt is on the 2nd floor, and the carport is underneath it. I'm sure the distance between my bedroom and the vehicle is more than 3ft. But let's say it's within range. Does this mean that when I'm asleep, someone can easily open the doors?
Let's not say that it's within range. Three feet isn't much, and that's measured through air. The pipes, joists, stucco and (perhaps) chicken-wire lathing between your dresser and the cаr would further attenuate the signal from the fob. If the signal was somehow reaching the cаr, it shouldn't be hard to move the fob and the cаr farther apart, or keep the fob in a metal can at night.

Old 10-17-2006, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by DWP
Let's not say that it's within range. Three feet isn't much, and that's measured through air. The pipes, joists, stucco and (perhaps) chicken-wire lathing between your dresser and the cаr would further attenuate the signal from the fob. If the signal was somehow reaching the cаr, it shouldn't be hard to move the fob and the cаr farther apart, or keep the fob in a metal can at night.
... I wonder if Infiniti makes pretty cans with their logo on it. Maybe they give out metal pen holders to dealerships.

Old 10-17-2006, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by max2k1
@usual_suspect
Thanks for your post --- it clarified the doubts I had

@GoofyG28 -->
The range question I asked was more or less for a similar scenario - but 3ft is acceptable for my case.
Maybe this signal is weaker thru walls -- probably not - but might be something to test out.
Yeah, it's designed that you need to be close enough to reach out and touch the door, and that's exactly how it works in practice.

The only (minor) glitch I've found is if we are both getting in the car and my wife jumps the gun and unlocks from her side. It makes the seat and wheel adjust to her settings. I give her a look and she doesn't do it again for a while - if she does, I can just disable her fob from the seat memory (it'll still work otherwise).

Bottom line - it's a great feature with no downside. It's just a PITA when I have to pull out my keyring to unlock the house or drive her car.

Old 10-17-2006, 03:29 PM
Waxer
I didn't have time to go all thru it but on the monitor screen there is a section where you can set all these parameters very simple thru the touch screen.

Old 10-17-2006, 05:58 PM

so what you're saying is that you live in your car?

Old 10-17-2006, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by boosterM
so what you're saying is that you live in your car?
No, on TOP. I am my own car's alarm system.

Old 10-17-2006, 08:06 PM
No, on TOP. I am my own car's alarm system.
Nothing like the Smith & Wesson/Colt .45 theft deterrent system.

Old 10-17-2006, 10:54 PM
pp7
Has anyone produced a hack or something on how to increase the range of the ikey?

Old 10-18-2006, 12:10 AM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
There wouldn't be a hack for something like that as ithe range is based on hardware not software. The wireless transmitter would be designed to propagate a signal over the RF in short distances only.

Old 10-18-2006, 12:17 AM
"Is that a giant antenna in your pocket, or are you happy to see me? .... Oh, it really is just an antenna."

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Intelligent Key and Passenger door unlock ???