G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Marketing to Runners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 05:32 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Marketing to Runners

Went for a stroll down to the mailbox this afternoon. Lo and behold was the December issue of my trusty "Runners World" along with the requisite collection of bills and flyers of course. As I carried away the magazine I wondered what the heck was inside making it so fat. To my surprise there was a thick glossy 16 page (multi fold) insert promoting the new '07 sedan glued into the centre. One of the more extensive and well done ones I've seen in my 20+ years in advertising. There was even a business reply mail envelope perforated on the insert.

Hmmm- marketing a performance sport sedan to people interested in performance at their own sport. Works for me.

Old 10-31-2006, 06:46 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
That sounds pretty cool Deane. A bit of special treatment for the peeps that put out that extra to keep their bodies like lean, mean, performance machines . Props to you
I need lots, and lots, and lots of work before I would ever qualify for that treatment .

Old 10-31-2006, 06:53 PM
DWP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It isn't worth a sticky, but it would be interesting to get reports on what different magazines Nissаn uses to advertise the new G35. It would indicate who Nissаn thinks their potential customers are. The runner demographic is, no doubt, younger, active and upscale, and thus prime G35 customers. With today's pinpoint marketing, for a given magazine whether you get a G35 ad (or insert) might also depend upon your address.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:14 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by RBull
Went for a stroll down to the mailbox this afternoon. Lo and behold was the December issue of my trusty "Runners World" along with the requisite collection of bills and flyers of course. As I carried away the magazine I wondered what the heck was inside making it so fat. To my surprise there was a thick glossy 16 page (multi fold) insert promoting the new '07 sedan glued into the centre. One of the more extensive and well done ones I've seen in my 20+ years in advertising. There was even a business reply mail envelope perforated on the insert.

Hmmm- marketing a performance sport sedan to people interested in performance at their own sport. Works for me.
VERY Deane!
I like their thinking....
Performance athlete = performance car

Old 11-01-2006, 07:34 AM
Rated M

Originally Posted by DWP
It isn't worth a sticky, but it would be interesting to get reports on what different magazines Nissаn uses to advertise the new G35. It would indicate who Nissаn thinks their potential customers are. The runner demographic is, no doubt, younger, active and upscale, and thus prime G35 customers. With today's pinpoint marketing, for a given magazine whether you get a G35 ad (or insert) might also depend upon your address.
Yes that would be interesting. I posted this because it happens to be the first advertising I've seen for the new model and was surprised where I saw it.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:50 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Yes that would be interesting. I posted this because it happens to be the first advertising I've seen for the new model and was surprised where I saw it.
I noticed they finally started to put big 2007 G35 sedan ads in the Toronto Star 2 days ago.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:52 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DWP
... The runner demographic is, no doubt, younger, active and upscale, and thus prime G35 customers....
I know I'm not the only "older, active and upscale" runner in the demographic. Better take another poll!

Old 11-01-2006, 10:56 AM
Rated M

Originally Posted by usual_suspect
I know I'm not the only "older, active and upscale" runner in the demographic. Better take another poll!
Haha, I left that comment alone when I saw it.

Old 11-01-2006, 11:24 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Haha, I left that comment alone when I saw it.
LOL.. I was tempted, believe me

Old 11-01-2006, 11:34 AM
DWP
Just got the new Wired magazine yesterday and it had a full-page ad for the '07. Wired appeals to people like me who are, in their own opinion, cutting-edge technorati, and so a toy-stuffed cаr like the new G35 would be a natural fit.

Old 11-01-2006, 01:18 PM
I am 30, a runner(19:16 5K with an 80+ lb double Jogging stroller), I own an 05 G, and will own an 07 G someday. They don’t need to advertise to me. They already have me hooked. I do see an awful lot of G35s at the races now though. However, those are almost always coupes. Now if they could just find away to get the double jogger in the G without ruining the cars lines then I would upgrade today!

Old 11-01-2006, 03:13 PM
Rated M

Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd
I am 30, a runner(19:16 5K with an 80+ lb double Jogging stroller), I own an 05 G, and will own an 07 G someday. They don’t need to advertise to me. They already have me hooked. I do see an awful lot of G35s at the races now though. However, those are almost always coupes. Now if they could just find away to get the double jogger in the G without ruining the cars lines then I would upgrade today!
Hey that's a good time. Very good considering you're pushing a 2x jogger. Good luck securing a G and figuring out a fix for loading the jogger.

Old 11-01-2006, 03:53 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GEE35X
That sounds pretty cool Deane. A bit of special treatment for the peeps that put out that extra to keep their bodies like lean, mean, performance machines . Props to you
I need lots, and lots, and lots of work before I would ever qualify for that treatment .
LOL, Wayne, I know the feeling....

Good find, Deane....
C.

Old 11-01-2006, 04:35 PM
Rated M

Originally Posted by GEE35X
Thanks for the props Wayne. Very nice of you.

I'm sure you can hold your own out there.

Old 11-01-2006, 04:36 PM
Rated M

Originally Posted by inTgr8r
LOL.. I was tempted, believe me
Thanks for not.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Marketing to Runners