G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Cruise control and rain?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 07:25 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChristianN
I'm sure he was only trying out one of the many new features on his G and was just thrown off. While I would agree that cruise control should be used only when the conditions are permitting, do we really need to burn him for asking a question??
I wasnt trying to burn the OP, sorry if it came across that way. If I discovered the car actually kept you from using the cc in poor weather I would be pleasantly surprised but would know why. I was just saying it shocks me they have to write it several times in the manual.

Old 11-09-2006, 07:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
use regular cruise control

You can use the regular cruise control in the rain, just like your pop's buick or your old civic. I for one don't want car companies trying to nanny me, I am perfectly capable of making a judgment call to use or not use cruise based on how the situation is safety-wise.

So.... you are telling me it is a good idea to cancel the cruise control if it's a beautiful sunny day and i need to wash some bugs off of my window and turn on the wipers? Lame!

What's happening is that the laser in the front of the car cannot be certain of the readings it is getting if there is anything reflecting it back oddly -- rain droplets in the air reflect it all over the place. Since the ICC accelerates and decelerates the vehicle, and thus presents a higher risk situation than regular cruise control, it does not work if it is not sure of the conditions being safe. You don't want your ICC applying moderate braking in the rain, just in case it's especially wet and it causes a slip situation... and especially not if it is making a mistake and there's no reason to brake to begin with.

So... hold your cruise button down for 2-3seconds and your car will engage "legacy" cruise control... old fashioned "hold the speed"-style. this works in any conditions.

(i don't have an 07G so I'm assuming the ICC/cruise system on the 07G works just like my gf's ICC in her 06 FX35.. someone correct me if the 07G doesn't allow a fail-over to classic cruise control like the FX)