G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

So whats the deal with the "SNOW" button?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 01:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So whats the deal with the "SNOW" button?

When do you guys use the snow mode? All the time? First sight of snow? Heavy snow only? Just wondering. If you run it all the time do you see a change in fuel economy? Has it ever saved your a$$? Thanks..

Old 12-05-2006, 01:50 AM
Snow mode puts the power 50/50 front and back wheels. Had lots of snow lately, if the roads are covered I leave it on. hasn't saved my *** but works good.

Old 12-05-2006, 07:01 AM
I thought the snow button is also only to be used at low speeds (~20mph). At least in my 2005, thats what its purpose is....

Old 12-05-2006, 07:23 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
I never use the snow button. It is only good at speeds below 20km (12mph) .
If you flip the switch it does give you 50%traction front and back until you reach the above speed then it cuts out and the attesa AWD does it's stuff.
It is meant to be used if for example if you were in your driveway and the snowplow left a big snow bank at the end of the driveway, you press the snow mode and it gives you instant front and back traction at the low speed to get you through.
I have never found it neccessary to use it and I have been in very heavy snow. The regular mode is awesome when paired with a good set of winter tires.

Old 12-05-2006, 07:56 AM
Originally Posted by Lords47
I thought the snow button is also only to be used at low speeds (~20mph). At least in my 2005, thats what its purpose is....
I don't know why, but I thought I read 30mph. Can anybody confirm? I'll have to check the manual later.

Old 12-05-2006, 08:58 AM
I just did a search and besides cutting out at 20km/h (12mph) from 50/50 split it also controls throttle response. Then it provides awd as it does normally to whatever wheels require traction.

Old 12-05-2006, 09:10 AM
then whats the point in paying extra for the X model?
if it only gives u that tiny window of snowdrive(below 12mph) and kiks back into regular mode when driving on the highway (covered with snow), its still the same as other models that got the attesae control.

Old 12-05-2006, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by NonAme
if it only gives u that tiny window of snowdrive(below 12mph) and kiks back into regular mode when driving on the highway (covered with snow), its still the same as other models that got the attesae control.

Only the X model has Attesa AWD. The non-X models are rear wheel drive cars only. The snow button is for starting off, not at speed driving.

With the botton off, the car will engage AWD once it feels it needs to (wheel spin, etc). So the car will split the power 50/50 by itself without the snow button. With the snow button depressed, it forces the car to "startout" in 50/50 mode.

Old 12-05-2006, 09:26 AM
what the hell you guys have a snow mode!? lol i need me a g35X!!!

Old 12-05-2006, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by NonAme
You miss the whole point
The snow mode locks the front and rear 50% apiece. If you use snow mode button on dry pavement your tires would be squealing on every turn and you would wear your tires out in no time along with your running gear. The snow mode is something you would use in extremely slippery or bad conditions at slow speeds. Like I said in my other post the traction is so awesome in normal mode with winter tires on the X that I have never found a reason to use the snow mode button. I live in an area where our roads are closed at least a few weeks each year. That is why I have my X, it can run the snow covered roads as if it were on rails.
The AWD has also saved my bacon on an emergency manuevre once last summer where I actually had to leave the road at a high rate of speed to avoid an emergency situation.
The G35X is awesome at any speed.
The X still provides you with extra traction to any wheel that loses grip at any speed.
As you can tell I am sold on the X . I have always had 4x4s also and the X out performs them except where the conditions are so deep that the car would bottom out.

Old 12-05-2006, 11:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by GEE35X
If you use snow mode button on dry pavement your tires would be squealing on every turn and you would wear your tires out in no time along with your running gear.
Slight correction here. Snow Mode only locks front/rear torque distrubution at 50/50, it does not lock the front and rear differentials which would make both wheels (side to side) turn at the same rotational speed. This means that the car will still drive normally in dry conditions as well, even with Snow Mode engaged.

In slip conditions ATTESA on its own is able to proportion torque at 50/50 front/rear, which is the same thing that the Snow Mode button is doing, but this time, manually below 12 MPH.

From a standing start, in dry conditions or otherwise (without Snow Mode engaged), ATTESA sends 25% of available torque to the front wheels until forward momentum is achieved. If slip is detected it goes to 50/50 and it everything is normal it goes to 0/100.

For those of you with the "x" model, ATTESA is working all the time. Whenver you are at a stop sign, whenever you are at a stop light, whenever it detects slip, etc.

The following users liked this post:
ㄴㅇㅇㄱ™ ninja (11-06-2012)
Old 12-15-2017, 09:55 AM
08 g35x

Originally Posted by GEE35FX
I never use the snow button. It is only good at speeds below 20km (12mph) .
If you flip the switch it does give you 50%traction front and back until you reach the above speed then it cuts out and the attesa AWD does it's stuff.
It is meant to be used if for example if you were in your driveway and the snowplow left a big snow bank at the end of the driveway, you press the snow mode and it gives you instant front and back traction at the low speed to get you through.
I have never found it neccessary to use it and I have been in very heavy snow. The regular mode is awesome when paired with a good set of winter tires.
I can’t tell the difference with snow mode on or off ? I’ve tried taking off with VDC off . Then VDC off with snow mode on , then snow mode on and VDC on...

Old 12-15-2017, 08:51 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,457 Likes on 2,151 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
The AWD system is very quick to distribute torque anyways, snow mode basically forces 50% bias so the system doesn't even have to "react" from a stop.

VDC just means you can floor it and spin the tires to your hearts content and the ECU will not cut the throttle, nothing to do with the AWD system.