G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Information

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 08:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Information

Have been browsing the boards for the past week. Lots of good information to be had here. I am looking to buy a 2007 G35S sedan with nav, prem packages for the wife. I have been to the dealer and we have driven the car. It really is a nice car that is loaded with great options. I have a 2006 BMW 330i and i love it, i also greatly enjoyed driving the G35.

I e-mailed the dealer last night for an offer. He came back with MSRP. I wasn't really surprised but then again i was. We travel quite a bit and to go and get a car would be nothing. The really strange part is what he wrote in the final e-mail after i told him to go pack sand. It went as follows;

Ordered cars will not be here for about 100 days. Given the popularity of the new G, Infiniti will be increasing the price of the car within the next 2 months. We would not increase your OTD price 3 months from now to reflect the the difference in MSRP.

Would you consider a vehicle that we have in stock so that I can discount a few hundred dollars for you?
I know most mfr's do not increase their prices mid year. Normally it happens at the beginning of the new model year. I might be totally off base with this and if i am please correct me.

I live in Virginia, so if anyone knows a good dealer who gives a good discount please let me know. I am in no rush to buy the car so it's not time critical..

Thanks in advance and thank you for the wealth of info.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:32 AM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
I can't really help you on finding a dealer in your area, but I call BS on the price increase in two months. IMO, that's just a sales tactic to try and get you to buy now.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:57 AM
+1 on BS price.

hell if i was able to get 1k over invoice on a 335i... infiniti dealers will do the same on an 07 4dr... just gotta shop around, ask them how much they need to make over invoice (before you even drive there)

gl

ppp

Old 01-17-2007, 08:59 AM
Agreed Garnet. That's some sales ASSociate with a small IQ assuming everyone else's is smaller...

Old 01-17-2007, 10:01 AM
I think it's unfortunate that he would come at me that way. I told him good luck etc etc, because after he wrote that i knew i would never buy a car from there. I really hope he calls me trying to advance a sale. I might just tell him what i really think instead of being cordial.

The dumb thing is he knows i'm serious, last year i went in when i was deciding between the bmw and the infiniti and did a test drive. We drove up in the BMW that i picked over the infiniti. I hate wasting time, and apparently he has plenty to waste because he spent just over an hour demo'ing the car and then threw out that stupid response for the pricing. Hell maybe he just needed the practice but i would never buy anything from him now. lol

Old 01-17-2007, 10:28 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vabeach330i
I e-mailed the dealer last night for an offer. He came back with MSRP. I wasn't really surprised but then again i was. We travel quite a bit and to go and get a car would be nothing. The really strange part is what he wrote in the final e-mail after i told him to go pack sand. It went as follows;

I know most mfr's do not increase their prices mid year. Normally it happens at the beginning of the new model year. I might be totally off base with this and if i am please correct me.
You're off-base on the price increases. The American and Japanese companies have had multiple mid-year price increases in the last few years. I know, because I personally keep a pricing database up to date and my life would be much easier if I didn't have to deal with mid-year increases.

Oddly, the Europeans, who suffer the most from currency swings, rarely if ever change prices mid-year. So for BMW your statement would be accurate.

When Nissan increases prices, it's usually by $50 to $200. Given the G35's strong sales, I think a $200 or even $250 price increase should be expected. They may also bump the destination charge by a few bucks.

The sneakiest price increases are when manufacturers raise the invoice price but keep MSRP the same. It's essentially a price increase that's invisible to the consumer. Ford does this the most. More often, both prices go up, but the invoice goes up more, reducing the dealer's margin. Dealer margins are much smaller than they used to be.

I've written a bit about this here:

http://www.truedelta.com/pieces/pricing_game.php

One thing to keep in mind is that price increases only apply to new cars. Cars the already have stickers on them don't get repriced. So you can often save a few hundred dollars by finding a car that has been on the lots for a few months in cases where there are such cars.

Last edited by mkaresh; 01-17-2007 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:45 PM
07G
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vabeach330i

I live in Virginia, so if anyone knows a good dealer who gives a good discount please let me know. I am in no rush to buy the car so it's not time critical..
Have you looked in the Negotiated Deal Thread? Perhaps someone mentioned a dealer near you.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:41 PM
if it is close enogh for you try Coleman Infiniti in Bethesda MD. Talk to Jim McIntire- worked with him on my 03 and my new one and came away happy both times (and in between)

Old 01-17-2007, 05:49 PM
N50
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chuckg35
if it is close enogh for you try Coleman Infiniti in Bethesda MD. Talk to Jim McIntire- worked with him on my 03 and my new one and came away happy both times (and in between)
+1. I purchased at Coleman as well but through a different salesman. I'm assuming you are in Virginia Beach by your sn. Coleman is a little bit of a hike considering it is in N. Bethesda.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:00 PM
If I were you I'd go to Edmunds.com pick the options and color on the site. Once that's done you'll see the prices. Note the Invoice price, then go ahead and complete the information to get dealer quotes. In a day or so you'll get a call and or emails. Tell them how much you want to pay. Once someone give you a price, use it as a negotiation tool when other calls and emails come in. Tell them the name of the dealership and if you can the name of the Sales Manager of that dealership along with their offer. Keep playing the dealerships against each other until they all give up. When you get the price you want have them email it to you so you don't get screwed once you arrive.

I told you to note the invoice price because some dealerships will say "I'll give you $500 over invoice" yet their so called invoice price is already $500 above Edmunds. Also, you should not have to pay the $700 destination charge either. Cargo nets, mats etc... are already sitting in the trunks of the brand new cars on the lot so don't waist time negotiating on that stuff tell them you expect that to be include for free. Then ask for a Mug and Key chain and some touch up paint for free as well.

Please excuse and grammatical or type o's, my dinner is ready..

Last edited by washington dc g; 01-17-2007 at 07:12 PM.