G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

clear bra over time

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 03:31 PM
mrb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had one on my S2000 and I won't put another one on any car. It's a good idea and works well for some peoplebut........in my case, I hit some rocks on the highway that cut right through the clear bra and scratched the paint underneath. After weighing the pros and cons (discoloration, cost) I decided I wouldn't put another one on. I've used regular OEM bras on previous cars and they worked better for me and stopped more damage. It's a pain for some people to regularly remove the thing to clear off debris or remove it when it gets wet but it wasn't an issue for me. My clearbra cost me $700-800 to get everything done. I could have the front of the car repainted for that (and did).
I learned the hard way that any of the mfr's that produce clearbras, well an OEM bra is thicker and protects better, just doesn't look as good. If the rocks are sharp they'll go right through that clearbra.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrb
I had one on my S2000 and I won't put another one on any car. It's a good idea and works well for some peoplebut........in my case, I hit some rocks on the highway that cut right through the clear bra and scratched the paint underneath. After weighing the pros and cons (discoloration, cost) I decided I wouldn't put another one on. I've used regular OEM bras on previous cars and they worked better for me and stopped more damage. It's a pain for some people to regularly remove the thing to clear off debris or remove it when it gets wet but it wasn't an issue for me. My clearbra cost me $700-800 to get everything done. I could have the front of the car repainted for that (and did).
I learned the hard way that any of the mfr's that produce clearbras, well an OEM bra is thicker and protects better, just doesn't look as good. If the rocks are sharp they'll go right through that clearbra.
I think the point of the clearbra is to minimize damage and make the car look as good as possible at the same time. Sure I may need to repaint after 4 or 5 years when I sell the car, but that is better than repainting 3 times in 4 year to that I can enjoy the car while I have it.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by terrycs
Hard to say ... maybe if you knew what year the cars were. We can assume they had them installed from the beginning and figure out how old the film is.

Did you get yours installed?
Appt is for tomorrow morning. Having last minute indecision, but still a GO!

Old 01-23-2007, 04:31 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RBull
I had a 3M clear bra removed from my car last summer which was on for nearly two years. It had not yellowed at all during that time. However there was a slight paint colour differerence between the uncovered and covered area on my hood and fenders. It seemed the UV inhibitors of the clear bra prevented paint fade. However, my car had only two treatments of a permawax dealer paint protection during that time so the paint was not well protected.

I have since compounded the car, regularly apply sealant/wax and reinstalled a new clear bra. The compounding restored a perfect blend where the areas met.
Deane; this is a good example of how it seems most people's clear bra experience goes (well, at least in my experience with cars that have clear bras); in general the bra does not crack, peel, or fade if applied properly however the paint underneath will fade less quickly than the rest of the paint on the car if it isn't regularly sealed (which of course most cars aren't). In general the quality of a clear bra comes down to the installer and to a lesser extent the material.

I personally recommend them, but I have a sort of hyper exaggerated experience with paint chips.