G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Recording satellite radio on hard drive?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 11:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Satellite radio recorders help sell music though, so I don't think the RIAA's objection is genuine, they just want money they don't deserve. Think about it, recording satellite radio means you should be able to hear good new songs you like from beginning to end for every minute you're in your car. Wouldn't that sell a heck of a lot more albums of bands you probably never heard of before, as opposed to hearing the same old songs for the millionth time when you already bought those CDs years ago or made up your mind about never buying it? Recording up to 50 hours of xm shouldn't mean you can then burn it or transfer it to other mediums, unlike DVRs which can record to VCRs. People with DVRs record shows then have to delete them to record others, same thing with satellite radio recorders. Perfectly legal DVRs are even worse than satellite recorders because TV networks and advertisers don't get money for people renting DVRs and skipping over commercials. Does ANYONE actually keep the same music on their satellite recorders? It doesn't make sense to keep it around after you've heard it once or twice. If people like it so much, they'll download it or buy the album. Didn't RIAA want restrictions like only being able to record up to 50 hours that xm followed anyway?

And RIAA is never going to file suits against Infiniti or other carmakers right? Carmakers have all the leverage over satellite companies since sirius and xm needs their business, so Infiniti should demand satellite recorders, we as customers should demand it from both Infiniti and xm. Plus xm and sirius should also be eager to rush out satellite recorders to everyone so the genie's out of the bottle just like with DVRs. The people REALLY opposed to this should be terrestrial radio, this is the final nail in their coffin, but they're not the ones filing suit. RIAA has no reason to complain, satellite recording helps them sell more records.

Anyway, the 08 Cadillac CTS apparently has a satellite radio recording feature, almost certainly for XM since GM has a huge stake and contract with XM. So if GM and Cadillac can do it, Infiniti absolutely should too, just to compete. I didn't know much about the CTS, but apparently it got great reviews as a good sized drivers car and now it's a heck of a lot better with the 08 model, add in satellite recording and it might jump ahead of the G35, which already isn't overwhelming anyone with sales. When Lexus is easily outselling the g35 with it's terrible FWD underpowered and overpriced fancy camry ES350 not to mention Acura, BMW, Audi, the new Mercedes C, Cadillac, etc., Infiniti needs some good new features for 08 like satellite recording just to keep up. Otherwise Nissan/Infiniti will keep moving backwards while their competitors have record sales.

Last edited by nycdc911; 01-26-2007 at 02:40 AM.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:22 AM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Argghh, I clicked on the wrong button and deleted part of your post nycdc911. Many apologies.

Old 01-25-2007, 12:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I cannot see any reason to record music from satellite radio, there are so many different stations that I really doubt you'll be listening to the same old songs over and over again. Don't take this the wrong way, but your logic on recording ability will increase album sales is completely flawed. While it may be true that some people download an album only to try it before they buy it, in the case of recording I doubt it will lead to many people buying anything. If you look at the case of the DVR, people who record movies may have a VHS collection but rarely have a library of DVDs. Sure you pay to listen to satellite radio, but you are paying only a very small amount per month, which gives you license to listen to live broadcasts. Don't whine about the RIAA, if someone doesn't look out for the interests of the music industry they will stop producing quality products. To ensure long term profits and continued success I think that the music industry needs to reconsider their pricing and distribution model, but unfortunately they haven't asked for my help yet.

On another note I agree with comments from other members including Garnet Canuck that the 2007 G35 sedan comes loaded with more features than any other car in its class. Just the fact that it has a hard drive to store music from CDs is pretty awesome if you ask me. Every time I sit down in my car I can choose to listen to AM/FM radio, XM radio, the in dash CD player, the 6 disc changer in the trunk, the music box or the compact flash card. I have so many choices that if I don't like what on XM I can choose something else. It doesn't matter what they put in the car there will always be something else that they could have added. Why not include a Wi-Fi connection to take music off of your home network or right off a laptop without a router, why not be the first to include a satellite based internet connection or the new Max-Fi wireless? When do we stop and just say I'm happy with what I have?

Old 01-25-2007, 02:31 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by ChristianN
When do we stop and just say I'm happy with what I have?
That's exactly my point Christian. Some people never seemed to be happy with what they have. If recording XM to the HD was possible, they would find something else to complain about.