G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Do you set your headlights to Auto?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 12:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I leave mine on auto as well... even though I park in a garage at home go through 2 tunnels in the morning to go to work, and park in a garage at the office. Its just more convenient for me and I figure the reduced life of the bulb wouldn't be that drastic. As long as it lasts a couple of years its good enough for me.

I remember seeing in the settings an option to adjust the sensitivity for the auto headlights.. maybe I'll fiddle with that so it won't turn on when I go through short tunnels and stuff.

Old 02-08-2007, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by kewltea
I like the convience of having the headlights set to auto so that they come on when it gets dark out. But it's a bit annoying when it comes one when I go through a tunnel or into a parking garage when really it's not that dark. I don't mind it comming on b/c it's actually pretty cool when the HIDs startup, but I'm just worried that in the long run the bulb will burn out faster.

Also find it annoying that to get to ON you have to pass the parking lights first thus cause it to flash ON/OFF/ON to get to it.

I'm old school. I turn my lights off and on when I want to. I used "auto" for a day/night cycle, then went back to my old habit, turning them off and on by hand whenever I felt like it.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:39 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by huhuh2
I leave mine on auto as well... even though I park in a garage at home go through 2 tunnels in the morning to go to work, and park in a garage at the office. Its just more convenient for me and I figure the reduced life of the bulb wouldn't be that drastic. As long as it lasts a couple of years its good enough for me.
It's covered by warranty for the first four years, right? I figure after four years I'll be looking for another car

Old 02-08-2007, 12:43 PM
I use Auto- hate the garage thing! I am going to try changing the setting to mode 4. Its worth a shot....

Thanks Treacherous!

Old 02-08-2007, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by herschelg123
I'm old school. I turn my lights off and on when I want to. I used "auto" for a day/night cycle, then went back to my old habit, turning them off and on by hand whenever I felt like it.
Same here. "Auto" anything annoys me. The other big gripe I have about the headlights is that you have to go through the AUTO feature when manually turning on the parking light or headlights. Sometimes I like to run just the parking lights when its still a bit light out at dusk or if its still a little dark at dawn.
The only way around the auto headlight function turning everything on is to flick the dial on the lever fast enough past the AUTO setting w/o turning on the HID's. AUTO should've been the last stop on the dial IMO.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:24 PM
I use auto on both vehicles. I'm not too concerned about them coming on in the garage. But I think it's important that they are on as soon as it starts to get darker out , while some people are still driving around with just their park lights on. It's a safety thing.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by caveman666
I use auto on both vehicles. I'm not too concerned about them coming on in the garage. But I think it's important that they are on as soon as it starts to get darker out , while some people are still driving around with just their park lights on. It's a safety thing.
That's why everyone up here in the GWN has daytime running lights.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by ChristianN
True enough, but I see lots of unaware people driving around after dark with daytime running lights on only. That means the clueless driver has no dashlights on and no tailights on. More than once I've come up pretty fast on on car with no tailights on. Not everyone enjoys driving as much as us, some people just use it to get from a to b and have no idea what goes on in between.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:15 PM
I find that even on the highest sensitivity level the lights still don't turn on when on auto. Seems to make a difference right before dusk or say if it gets cloudy right before its going to rain the lights still wont go on. I've been using it for the last month or so but may not anymore.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by ChristianN
yeah Great White North! Canada rocks.. thats why I live in it!

We usually leave ours on auto... just more convenient. We don't park it in a garage at home because our garage is filled with junk!

Old 02-09-2007, 01:43 AM
i leave mine on auto all the time

Old 02-17-2008, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by John2.5RS
I leave mine on auto. You can adjust sensitivity and a few other things in the menu.
What is the MENU you are referring to?

Thanks,

Mike

Old 02-17-2008, 10:01 PM
I leave mine on auto also, but it does get kinda aggravating that it turns on when i park my car/start it in the garage, but i don't mind b/c it isn't as bad as when your alarm goes off and your HID's flash on/off

Old 02-18-2008, 09:06 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The thing I find most convenient is not that the lights automatically turn ON however that they automatically turn OFF after the car is shut down. If you do not have it on AUTO then it takes almost 5 minutes for the headlights to turn off by themself. When on auto, it shuts lights off after 30, 45 or 60 seconds based on your settings in the menu.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My 03.5 has been driven from garage at home to garage at work and back 5 days a week with auto headlights on since I bought it. Haven't had a single problem with them yet, and that's at least 4200 on/off cycles (4 per day for over 4 years every weekday) since Sept 03. I don't find it annoying at all, and judging by the performance so far, I don't think it's worth worrying about the life of the bulbs being compromised.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Do you set your headlights to Auto?