G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

How much wheel spin in 5AT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 06:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much wheel spin in 5AT?

When you launch the 5AT non X models with VDC off how much wheelspin do you get? Now that our X is broken in I have been slowly beating (gently for now) on it more and more. With the AWD this car really launches hard and fast. I am curious to see some 0-60 mph times for an X. This new engine/drivetrain is truly amazing!

Old 02-10-2007, 07:10 AM
Bad Toro
From my test drive experience (both S and X), there is a day and night difference in wheel spin. When I took the X for a spin I just couldn't get that think to break loose. When I got off the highway to an intersection with a stop sign, I made a left turn while flooring it, thinking there should be some wheel slip - nothing. It felt as if the tires were glued to the road.

I then proceeded to test the S. That was when I almost killed myself . Coming from a 6MT coupe, I figured the auto S without VDC cannot be more aggressive than my coupe. Boy was I wrong: same intersection - left turn, and I ended up with almost 180 fishtail.

I recommend for anyone who has never driven a RWD car before with so much torque, take it to a parking lot first before you try to step on in it on public roads. You may kill yourself and others.

Old 02-10-2007, 07:46 AM
Here is an interesting excerpt from a road and track article from last spring...bear in mind these are 06 models

Rear Drive vs. All-Wheel Drive: That Is the Question

For fun, we brought a rear-drive Infiniti G35 to our autocross and compared it with its all-wheel-drive G35x brother, in both wet and dry conditions with VDC yaw control switched off. We assumed the rear-driver would be quicker in the dry, given its ability to hang out its tail and help the driver tighten his line. But in the wet, we were confident the all-wheel-driver would have a tremendous advantage, hooking up better out of turns. Here's what we learned:

Well, we were wrong on one front, right on the other. Based on group average times on the dry autocross, the awd G35x proved itself faster, surprising us with its rear-biased manners and lapping nearly a second (0.9 sec.) quicker than the rear-drive G35. In the wet the G35x fared even better, 1.3 sec. quicker than the rear-drive G35.

Credit goes to the electronically controlled awd system, which maintains a rear-drive bias while endowing the car with improved stability. Don't get us wrong, the G35x still liked to hang its tail out, but the driver didn't need to be quite so careful with the throttle to keep the car's back end in check. In the rear-drive G35, the driver had to be far less aggressive with the throttle (and quicker with corrections) to post respectable times. Wet or dry, the awd G35x was far easier to drive quickly.

The G35x's center diff is responsible. From 0 to 10 mph, its electromagnetic wet clutch splits the torque 25 percent front/75 percent rear for good grip off the line; thereafter, the car is 100-percent rear drive until rear-wheel slip is sensed. Then, the diff can send as much as 50 percent of the power forward. Although other awd systems will produce different results, the G35x proves that all-wheel drive, properly applied, can give you the best of both worlds. — Andrew Bornhop

Old 02-10-2007, 08:36 AM
Interesting article. I wonder how the times would have compared with VDC on...

Old 02-10-2007, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by randman
Interesting article. I wonder how the times would have compared with VDC on...
I imagine the disparity would have been greater. Most traction/stability control systems are designed to enhance safety in everyday driving situations, for everyday drivers. Most professional testers who can drive at all will turn the controls off if possible, to yield better numbers. Driving a car at 10/10, and if you know what you are doing systems like VDC are usually a hindrance.

Old 02-10-2007, 02:38 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SPEEED
I then proceeded to test the S. That was when I almost killed myself . Coming from a 6MT coupe, I figured the auto S without VDC cannot be more aggressive than my coupe. Boy was I wrong: same intersection - left turn, and I ended up with almost 180 fishtail.
LOL, been there

With VDC off, turning out of a subdivision onto a major highway I was perpendicular at one point with VERY little effort. Especially if there's any crown to lift weight off the back wheels, the G will do some interesting things...

Still fun tho

Old 02-11-2007, 08:04 PM
hahaha i love it. The S peels out a fair amount, at least under my tutelage . But it's certainly possible to keep it under control and pull some ridiculous manoeuvers, imo.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by demoncleaner
Here is an interesting excerpt from a road and track article from last spring...bear in mind these are 06 models

Rear Drive vs. All-Wheel Drive: That Is the Question

For fun, we brought a rear-drive Infiniti G35 to our autocross and compared it with its all-wheel-drive G35x brother, in both wet and dry conditions with VDC yaw control switched off. We assumed the rear-driver would be quicker in the dry, given its ability to hang out its tail and help the driver tighten his line. But in the wet, we were confident the all-wheel-driver would have a tremendous advantage, hooking up better out of turns. Here's what we learned:

Well, we were wrong on one front, right on the other. Based on group average times on the dry autocross, the awd G35x proved itself faster, surprising us with its rear-biased manners and lapping nearly a second (0.9 sec.) quicker than the rear-drive G35. In the wet the G35x fared even better, 1.3 sec. quicker than the rear-drive G35.

Credit goes to the electronically controlled awd system, which maintains a rear-drive bias while endowing the car with improved stability. Don't get us wrong, the G35x still liked to hang its tail out, but the driver didn't need to be quite so careful with the throttle to keep the car's back end in check. In the rear-drive G35, the driver had to be far less aggressive with the throttle (and quicker with corrections) to post respectable times. Wet or dry, the awd G35x was far easier to drive quickly.

The G35x's center diff is responsible. From 0 to 10 mph, its electromagnetic wet clutch splits the torque 25 percent front/75 percent rear for good grip off the line; thereafter, the car is 100-percent rear drive until rear-wheel slip is sensed. Then, the diff can send as much as 50 percent of the power forward. Although other awd systems will produce different results, the G35x proves that all-wheel drive, properly applied, can give you the best of both worlds. — Andrew Bornhop

That was the 2006 model though... They haven't done anything other than the G35S vs. TL Type S vs. IS350. Nothing on the X's yet.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:25 PM
Has any one tried this with the non sport model? Im assuming that without the LSD the G would just spin one of its wheels and the fishtailing would be kept to a minimum.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by Canadian144
That was the 2006 model though...
Duly noted...read the first line.

Old 02-12-2007, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by 03FXer
Has any one tried this with the non sport model? Im assuming that without the LSD the G would just spin one of its wheels and the fishtailing would be kept to a minimum.
I thought this test was done with a normal G, non-sport. Does anyone know if the G had a LSD for '06?

Old 10-16-2009, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by demoncleaner
When you launch the 5AT non X models with VDC off how much wheelspin do you get? Now that our X is broken in I have been slowly beating (gently for now) on it more and more. With the AWD this car really launches hard and fast. I am curious to see some 0-60 mph times for an X. This new engine/drivetrain is truly amazing!
had my x 5spd auto for bout a year now. Wheel spin off the line is practically impossible. But at around 40mph dropping to second and pinning it will chirp the tires. and I've done "brake stands" just spinning the rear tires on VERY slippery places. In the wet with VDC off, its scary how easily it'll break all four loose and send you towards a ditch. IDK if its faster than any rwd 6 or 7spds MT's though. but I drive like an *** and have romped on bmw's amg's audi's and a few boxers and I pissed off one guy in a 911 enough that he sat at a green light and waited till it was about to turn red to lose me; in the mountains by my house that would kill me off the line. And mine has 42000 on the oe tires still...

Old 10-16-2009, 06:25 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by G35Now!
LOL, been there

With VDC off, turning out of a subdivision onto a major highway I was perpendicular at one point with VERY little effort. Especially if there's any crown to lift weight off the back wheels, the G will do some interesting things...

Still fun tho
Way to bump an old thread.

About a week into driving my new 6mt Sport, I underestimated the power.

Fishtailed back and forth and recovered.

It was a little scary but fun at the same time.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its surprising how manuverable the g is even when your going sideways at 90mph. You just gotta make sure the vdc is off! or else your screwed lol

Old 10-17-2009, 05:37 AM
yeah especially if its cold and wet, I was 38 degree's and raining here pretty much all week, I got a kick out of shifting early and seing exactly what rpm in 3th i could get it to slip. I do miss my Canards. They seemed to help keep the front end where I wanted it over 45. also were awsome at keeping me planted going over rollers in the mountains by my house.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How much wheel spin in 5AT?