G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

I can see no difference when fog lights are on.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 01:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can see no difference when fog lights are on.

I've had my G35 for 3 days and drove it on a winding road last night. I flipped on the fog lights and couldn't see any difference. Is this how it should be?

On my other cars the fog lights illuminate the road closer to the front hood and on the sides giving a wider beam. Is there something wrong with my fog lights?

Thanks,
Bruce in LA

Old 02-15-2007, 01:13 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
I can definitely see a difference with mine on.

Old 02-15-2007, 01:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I notice them as well.

They are just below the turn signals I believe, inboard of the main headlight bulge.

You can see them in the reflection of the vehicle in front of you at a red light if you blink them.

To me, it looks like they illuminate the area immediately infront of the car with a wide beam...

Old 02-15-2007, 01:52 PM
Waxer
Was there any fog around?

Old 02-15-2007, 01:53 PM
the fogs arent HID so they might be drowned by the head lights. ive never been a fan of fog lights being inside the headligh assembly. i like my fogs seperate. ill see a difference if im stopped infront of a wall or at a red light behind a car.

Old 02-15-2007, 01:53 PM
I can see a difference, but it's not very dramatic - you really have to watch as they go on and off.

The only time I've noticed a real difference with them on in any car, was when it was actually very foggy.

Old 02-15-2007, 03:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chrisbel
I can see a difference, but it's not very dramatic - you really have to watch as they go on and off.

The only time I've noticed a real difference with them on in any car, was when it was actually very foggy.
Same experience for me.

Old 02-15-2007, 03:30 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisbel

Agree - with my past cars, low fog lights have delivered light close to the car. These really don't - but haven't tried them in fog.

Old 02-15-2007, 04:30 PM
I guess I did see a little flash but not that dramatic. Expected more.

Expected more.

Old 02-15-2007, 04:37 PM
Traveling Administrator
Some strange responses here. The reason I say that is when I use the fog lights, it completely lights up the road immediately in front of me in a wide angle. They work darn good IMO.

Old 02-15-2007, 04:40 PM
The fog lights are a joke, I have tried in numerous conditions and they create a little extra light about 2 ft. in front of the car but that's it.... not enough to make any sort of visibility advantage. I was also displeased with the pattern the headlights projected, with the sharp cut off. So I adjusted up the headlights just a little bit and now I could careless if the car had foglights at all. I will note, there is a seperate adjuster for the fog light bulb you could adjust it up a bit to possibly see a difference. But with the headlights adjusted up that little bit I see no reason in wasting time, I have superb night/ugly weather visibility now.

Old 02-15-2007, 04:49 PM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by Audiophile
The fog lights are a joke, I have tried in numerous conditions and they create a little extra light about 2 ft. in front of the car but that's it.... not enough to make any sort of visibility advantage. I was also displeased with the pattern the headlights projected, with the sharp cut off. So I adjusted up the headlights just a little bit and now I could careless if the car had foglights at all. I will note, there is a seperate adjuster for the fog light bulb you could adjust it up a bit to possibly see a difference. But with the headlights adjusted up that little bit I see no reason in wasting time, I have superb night/ugly weather visibility now.
You do realize that fog lights are designed to be aimed down and close to the front of the vehicle, as light aimed straight ahead will only difuse in a fog and DECREASE the visibility of the driver. They are doing EXACTLY what they are designed to do.

Old 02-15-2007, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
You do realize that fog lights are designed to be aimed down and close to the front of the vehicle, as light aimed straight ahead will only difuse in a fog and DECREASE the visibility of the driver. They are doing EXACTLY what they are designed to do.
Riiiight, light is not needed two feet in front of the car regardless of the conditions outside, I am well aware that the light will difuse in fog, the idea of a foglight is to have a different beam that typically works better in fog. This is not my first car with factory foglights(its the 6th), and its fog lights are the least beneficial of the bunch.

And the fact still remains the foglights are a redundancy on this car to please a market who wants a 20+ year old luxury option. HIDs make foglamps obsolete, yet the older crowd likes to hold on to that old time luxury option.

Old 02-15-2007, 05:59 PM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by Audiophile
Riiiight, light is not needed two feet in front of the car regardless of the conditions outside, I am well aware that the light will difuse in fog, the idea of a foglight is to have a different beam that typically works better in fog. This is not my first car with factory foglights(its the 6th), and its fog lights are the least beneficial of the bunch.

And the fact still remains the foglights are a redundancy on this car to please a market who wants a 20+ year old luxury option. HIDs make foglamps obsolete, yet the older crowd likes to hold on to that old time luxury option.
Your fog lights projecting only 2 feet in front of you definitely didn't sound right to me, so I went out and measured. It was quite easy to measure since you can definitely tell where the halogen fog lights end agains the HID headlights. Anyways, my fog lights projected 23' 4" in front of my car. If yours only project 2 feet you may want to get them looked at.

Old 02-15-2007, 06:17 PM
^^ no need to, the slightly turned up HID's are better then any combo of lights I have ever used(including other HID's on previous cars). Real world performance is what I care about.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I can see no difference when fog lights are on.