G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Adaptive Cruse Control Sensor Alignment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 12:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adaptive Cruse Control Sensor Alignment

For those members having the adaptive cruse control option, can you please tell me how precise the sensor fits into the opening in the front lip, perhaps pictures?

I have the adaptive cruse control; however, the sensor appears to be significantly skewed towards the passenger side of the opening in the front lip and set back from the opening (about a half inch). I asked my dealership about this, but they did not have any other cars on the lot for comparison.

Before I get too concerned, I thought I would check to see what the forum’s thoughts were. The configuration of the opening leads me to believe that the sensor should fit snugly into the opening and that I should not be able to see mounting hardware from the front (i.e., on the driver side of the sensor, between the sensor and the opening in the front lip, I can clearly see some attachment hardware).

I am the first to admit that I am a very meticulous consumer, but things seem more significant when you are making the monthly payments.

Thanks in advance to all who respond.

Old 02-17-2007, 12:33 AM
i don't even care enough to go to the garage and look to see if mine is skewed... seriously- why do you care if it is left, right, up, or down?

i don't care at all

Old 02-17-2007, 01:04 AM
Originally Posted by oneformula
i don't even care enough to go to the garage and look to see if mine is skewed... seriously- why do you care if it is left, right, up, or down?

i don't care at all
Whatever.

I'd guess it might be important as a mis-aligned sensor would presumably lead the system to screw up. I'll have to take a look at mine in the morning and see how it fits.

Old 02-17-2007, 06:34 AM
I've been thinking the same thing too, For some reason, when I try and turn on the cruise, It just keeps flashing and I have no cruise.

Old 02-17-2007, 07:55 AM
Originally Posted by SuckItUp
For those members having the adaptive cruse control option, can you please tell me how precise the sensor fits into the opening in the front lip, perhaps pictures?

I am the first to admit that I am a very meticulous consumer, but things seem more significant when you are making the monthly payments.
Your user id doesn't seem appropriate for being so "meticulous" (sorry, couldn't resist ).

I only looked quickly at my car, and things seem fine. Maybe if you had some pictures, we can get a better idea of what might be wrong?

Old 02-17-2007, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by John2.5RS
I've been thinking the same thing too, For some reason, when I try and turn on the cruise, It just keeps flashing and I have no cruise.
The only time mine flashes if if you try to set it and your not going fast enough. Make sure your speed is over the minimum and it should work.

Old 02-17-2007, 03:36 PM
On our M & G it seems to be parallel with the front of the car...
It might appear to be at an angle due to the curvature of the bumper.
But if it doesn't work, then you'll need to have the dealer take a look.

Old 02-17-2007, 05:24 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the adaptive cruse control; however, the sensor appears to be significantly skewed towards the passenger side of the opening in the front lip and set back from the opening (about a half inch). I asked my dealership about this, but they did not have any other cars on the lot for comparison.

Before I get too concerned, I thought I would check to see what the forum’s thoughts were. The configuration of the opening leads me to believe that the sensor should fit snugly into the opening and that I should not be able to see mounting hardware from the front (i.e., on the driver side of the sensor, between the sensor and the opening in the front lip, I can clearly see some attachment hardware).

Thanks in advance to all who respond.
I just checked mine on the M and it's skewed in the same fashion as yours (towards to passenger side).....I'm assuming so as not to detect oncoming vehicles.
Welcome, BTW Suckitup, and enjoy thenew ride.

C.

Old 02-17-2007, 06:21 PM
Thank you for all of the constructive responses. It is unfortunate when the anonymity of the forum results in bold, and less-than-helpful remarks.

I have at least two reasons for concern. Firstly, and most importantly, the sensor is linked to the preview braking system, and therefore I want to ensure that it is operating properly and not being partially blocked by the front lip. Secondly, and admittedly of less importance, it is aesthetically displeasing to have exposed hardware on the front lip of the car.

As for the sensor, it does appear to be parallel with the front of the car; it is just not centered within the opening in the front lip. I will try to post a picture to help illustrate the offset.

John 2.5RS – I recently had a non-functional cruse control. I could not set the adaptive or the “regular” cruse. I do not recall any flashing, but the dealer did need to replace a brake switch in order to get the cruse to function properly. A trip to the dealer may be in order.

Thanks again to all who posted constructive comments.

Old 02-17-2007, 07:45 PM
Thank you for all of the constructive responses. It is unfortunate when the anonymity of the forum results in bold, and less-than-helpful remarks.

I have at least two reasons for concern. Firstly, and most importantly, the sensor is linked to the preview braking system, and therefore I want to ensure that it is operating properly and not being partially blocked by the front lip. Secondly, and admittedly of less importance, it is aesthetically displeasing to have exposed hardware on the front lip of the car.

As for the sensor, it does appear to be parallel with the front of the car; it is just not centered within the opening in the front lip. I will try to post a picture to help illustrate the offset.

John 2.5RS – I recently had a non-functional cruse control. I could not set the adaptive or the “regular” cruse. I do not recall any flashing, but the dealer did need to replace a brake switch in order to get the cruse to function properly. A trip to the dealer may be in order.

Thanks again to all who posted constructive comments.
hey! that's a swipe at ME! i'm the class clown in real life, not just on the internets! gimme proper credit!

(i still don't care enough to look at my alignment of the sensor, though)

Old 02-17-2007, 08:57 PM
I was actually going to come on here and ask where the sensor is when I saw this thread. I've had two times where I'm in cruise control, and the system beeps at me and shuts off. The first was in a major storm, where the rain was very heavy. Tonight, it just randomly shut off twice, causing me to just turn on the regular cruise. I'm thinking that it might have had something to do with the fact that it was close to sunset, and I was driving right into the sun. I am theorizing that the bright light was interfering with the sensor...does that sound plausible? Otherwise, I've got issues with a brand new car :-)

Oh, and another question--does the ICC shut off if the car in front of you comes to a complete stop? Mine seems to beep a bunch of times and stop if the car in front of me brakes too quickly. I've never had enough guts to see if it truly shuts itself off or just is warning me...

--Brendan--

Last edited by kubrendan; 02-17-2007 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by kubrendan
I was actually going to come on here and ask where the sensor is when I saw this thread. I've had two times where I'm in cruise control, and the system beeps at me and shuts off. The first was in a major storm, where the rain was very heavy. Tonight, it just randomly shut off twice, causing me to just turn on the regular cruise. I'm thinking that it might have had something to do with the fact that it was close to sunset, and I was driving right into the sun. I am theorizing that the bright light was interfering with the sensor...does that sound plausible? Otherwise, I've got issues with a brand new car :-)

--Brendan--
Here are a couple of things from the owner's manual that might be involved. (btw, the car's manuals are available as PDF's on the Infiniti site - makes looking stuff up real easy )

The cruise control will automatically
cancel if the vehicle slows more than
8 MPH (12 km/h) below the set speed.

When the windshield wiper is operated
at the low speed (LO) or high
speed (HI) position, the Intelligent
Cruise Control system is automatically
canceled.

− When strong light (for example, at
sunrise or sunset) is directly shining
on the front of the vehicle

− When rain, snow or dirt adhere to the
system sensor

Old 02-17-2007, 09:10 PM
Oh sure, read the instruction manual! Come on, where is your sense of adventure in figuring everything out for yourself? That's cheating! :-P

Cool...glad to know it's doing what it's supposed to do.

--Brendan--

Old 02-17-2007, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by MoCoG
Here are a couple of things from the owner's manual that might be involved. (btw, the car's manuals are available as PDF's on the Infiniti site - makes looking stuff up real easy )

The cruise control will automatically
cancel if the vehicle slows more than
8 MPH (12 km/h) below the set speed.
That's funny, when I used the ICC on my last trip to LA on the 405, I set it at 70-75 and it didn't turn off unless traffic got below about 30mph. I definitely remember traveling along at 50 when it was set to at least 70

According to the manual it can only apply something like 30% of parking power and can't come to a complete stop so if the car infront stops quickly it should beep at you. I've never experienced that but I hit the brakes pretty quickly if the cars ahead are slowing rapidly.

Old 02-17-2007, 10:05 PM
Yeah, same thing here. I sometimes let the ICC take me around this one particular curve from one highway to another if there's a car in front of me...you have to take that curve about 30, but the highways are both 65. It does a really good job at it. :-)

--Brendan--

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Adaptive Cruse Control Sensor Alignment