G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

how to aim headlights?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question how to aim headlights?

I lowered my car and I need to adjust the headlights, just seeing if anyone knew how, and the best way to do it.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:17 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
John, there are aiming adjustment screws located behind the headlight assembly. Basically you turn the screw clockwise to aim higher and counterclockwise to aim lower. It's very easy to do. Do you have the service manuals?

Old 02-28-2007, 08:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
John, there are aiming adjustment screws located behind the headlight assembly. Basically you turn the screw clockwise to aim higher and counterclockwise to aim lower. It's very easy to do. Do you have the service manuals?
Are you sure that's a good idea with the auto leveling HIDs? How would this affect the AFS system?

Old 02-28-2007, 08:34 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by ChristianN
Are you sure that's a good idea with the auto leveling HIDs? How would this affect the AFS system?
If I am reading the service manual correctly, if your G has AFS it has an auto aiming system. If your G doesn't have AFS, you use the adjustment screws. If anyone else has the service manual, let me know if you read it the same way I do.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by John2.5RS
I lowered my car and I need to adjust the headlights, just seeing if anyone knew how, and the best way to do it.
Looking at the service manual it seems that cars with the tech package need to have the levelizer adjusted at the stealership using the consult-III

Old 02-28-2007, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by John2.5RS
Just curious, how do you know how high to set them? Is there some
recommended height. I have not really drove mine much at night since I had it lowered. I might want to adjust mine.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Reading it and doing it are two very different things. Having adjusted my headlights already, its far from easy, take a look yourself the adjusters are very difficult to get to.

I ended up removing both air boxes to get to the little gear thing, even with them out of the way I could not get on the adjuster head so I sort of bypassed it and could get a little screwdriver in the gear that adjusts them and turned it. It took over a half hour to make the adjustment and I have over a decade experience working on modern cars(and have adjusted hundreds of headlights and these were not so easy).

Old 02-28-2007, 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by Railgunner
Just curious, how do you know how high to set them? Is there some
recommended height. I have not really drove mine much at night since I had it lowered. I might want to adjust mine.

I have a fancy $1500 headlight aligner and still do it the old fashioned way, I get better and more even results by parking on a level surface and turning on the headlights aimed towards a building/wall that has horizontal lines on it and make both head lamps even. It may take more then a single session but it is easy to do and will get the exact results you want.