G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Please post impressions on the XM NAVTRAFFIC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 03:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I may jut be dumb but my NavTraffic seems to show all roads as red, all the time. I live in NYC so there is a lot of traffic but anytime I get on a highway (LIE, BQE, FDR) it shows the road as red (high volume if im not mistaken) I've never even seen the supposed other colors...

Anyone else experience this ? do you have to have a destination set for it to kick in ?

Old 05-02-2007, 05:16 PM
Nope no destination needed to see the traffic flow info - and I see all the colors even here in Los Angeles...

Maybe you need to zoom in more??

Old 05-02-2007, 06:02 PM
In NYC, you would need to check at 3am if you want to see the other colors
Originally Posted by BKblack
I may jut be dumb but my NavTraffic seems to show all roads as red, all the time. I live in NYC so there is a lot of traffic but anytime I get on a highway (LIE, BQE, FDR) it shows the road as red (high volume if im not mistaken) I've never even seen the supposed other colors...

Anyone else experience this ? do you have to have a destination set for it to kick in ?

Old 05-02-2007, 07:07 PM
Actually, go you see the word "traffic" on you screen? It should be a green color. If it is gray, XM did not activate your traffic subscription

Old 05-02-2007, 08:18 PM

I know this sounds really stupid, but is it a dark red or a flashing bright red. The Navigation system shows all highways as dark red roads. If it has high congestion, then it flashes a brighter red. I drive through NYC everyday and I see green & yellow lots of times. The problem I have is that many times there's no color at all (no green, no yellow, no flashing red), so that's why I'm thinking of cancelling the traffic service. I find that the traffic channel for NYC (channel 211) is 100x better than the NavTraffic feature.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:45 PM
i like it fine

Old 05-02-2007, 10:20 PM
Ok ... that makes sense I guess. In the section where it lists the nearby traffic info I see lots of diff color routes (yellow. green etc....) I just find it very strange that Ive had NavTraffic for about to weeks and have NEVER actually been on one of these routes...

Old 05-03-2007, 02:22 PM
Ok ... that makes sense I guess. In the section where it lists the nearby traffic info I see lots of diff color routes (yellow. green etc....) I just find it very strange that Ive had NavTraffic for about to weeks and have NEVER actually been on one of these routes...
Depends on where you are...

Some areas (even parts of the BQE/LIE) don't have NavTraffic info shown, but I do see it all the time on the FDR, the BX and even the BQE near the bridges. I drive that route and see it all the time. You won't get anything on side streets or even major roads, only on the highways... and yet it doesn't look like they track the Hutch but they track the Bronx River Pkwy, etc. Nothing on the Cross Island, the Van Wyck, etc.

It doesn't really help me because I already know that the Bruckner is gonna be a mess, and that the FDR is bad at most times of the day, etc... but sometimes it comes in handy. You can spot accidents/construction up ahead and decide what to do... the other day when the FDR was closed because of flooding it knew (and showed the "blue" lines instead of red) and re-calculated the route to send me into Queens to the GCP, etc.

I don't think I rely on it, but it comes in handy every now and then.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:19 PM
Here in St Louis, XM NavTraffic works only on certain highways. There are 5 major highways and two of them do not have any reporting what so ever. And one of those is the major north-south interstate. I have not located any info online to describe why this might be as here are several areas where two highways intersect and one is described and the other is not.
On the route I take daily, XM does provide good info as to accidents, congestion etc. Seems to be pretty accurate most of the time.
Not worth the extra cash in my opinion...and was really hoping for the XM-Sirius merger. OH well...I really miss the Sirius I had in my old G. Thank God for the Music Box.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:08 PM
Could someone please help me out. I have a 2008 G35 and I have been trying for over a week to get my NavTraffic to work. I do not have the traffic icon in the top right corner of my map (below the time). I have been calling XMradio atleast twice everyday all they keep doing is resending the signal and that is not working. If I go to traffic settings it says XM NavTraffic required. My XM radio stations are playing just find though. What am I doing wrong?

Old 02-25-2011, 09:09 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
google maps on a smart phone ftw traffic shows accidents and different levels of speed

Old 02-25-2011, 09:42 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
@tola: the nav traffic is separate subscription from the xm radio, as long as you get that activated everything should work fine. Call XM again and ask them to activate your XMtraffic it should be a separate authorization signal that they must send to your car.

If you have already bought the xmTraffic separate and it still doesnt work then it has to do something with XM and not the car imo as your xm radio is working fine.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
@tola: the nav traffic is separate subscription from the xm radio, as long as you get that activated everything should work fine. Call XM again and ask them to activate your XMtraffic it should be a separate authorization signal that they must send to your car.

If you have already bought the xmTraffic separate and it still doesnt work then it has to do something with XM and not the car imo as your xm radio is working fine.
Yes I have them separately. I have XM NavTraffic and XM Everything Plus. Thanks for the reply

Old 02-25-2011, 09:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I live and work in the NYC and NJ area. I find the traffic flow part of XM NavTraffic to be great, and honestly, right on the money. I think its worth the two dollars, however my only complaint is when I put in a destination in my nav, the nice lady tells me that there is traffic along my route, but never re-routes me to a non-traffic route. Would have been a nice feature.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:33 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by TolaSkamp
Yes I have them separately. I have XM NavTraffic and XM Everything Plus. Thanks for the reply
Since you're sure that you have bought the traffic package and your XM radio and nav by itself works fine, i have to say that the ppl over at XM are at fault here IMO and have some how not managed to activate your XM traffic, try calling them again and refuse to get off the line until they either fix it or give you a better deal if it turns out that its a hardware problem in the car(that i highly doubt)

Keep us posted

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Please post impressions on the XM NAVTRAFFIC