G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

G35x road noise dilema

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 09:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35x road noise dilema

Having just purchased a fully loaded G35x, I'm having a hard time dealing with the road noise. On most roads its fine, but on certain pavement types it just seems excessively loud (specifically 31 if you're familar with Western Michigan). The only way I can explain it is if you were in a basketball as its being dribbled. Its a concrete highway with cutout/replaced sections every 100 feet or so. I have either drove or ridden in probably a hundred different vehicles over my years on this surface and don't remember this annoying sensation before.

Has anybody changed tires yet on this car to rid the thumping sound in the cabin. Performance tires are not a necessity as power is my only requirement( and I can't wait to try that out ).

Old 04-30-2007, 09:19 AM
For a road like that I'm not sure you can blame it on the tires/cabin soundproofing. One of the major roads around here is undergoing repaving and the noise is terrible on the sections they are redoing - similar to what you are describing - otherwise the car is just fine. Personally I always have the radio on or sunroof open so I never consider cabin noise to be an issue.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:26 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Have you checked your tire pressure? Many have found it set far too high from the stealer.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:00 AM
"I'm not sure you can blame it on the tires/cabin soundproofing"

I hate to say it, but it seems its the only thing I can blame it on. The road is less than ideal as its the result of several repairs over the years. But again, I have driven/riden many cars on this road over the years, this is by far the most irritating sensation I've come across in any car. My wife's car is half the price, but at least the thumping sounds like its external to the cabin, that I could live with.

Thanks for the responses!!! All are welcomed

You're right about the tire pressure, I received mine at about 47 psi, figured that one out a couple days after pickup. Helped quite a bit but needs much more improvement. Touring tires??

Last edited by Planar; 04-30-2007 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:06 AM
I guess I would think there was an issue if the car was loud on all road - but if its fine on most other roads? Not sure that the combination of your tires and this one particular road are reason enough to change your setup.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:13 AM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
I've got to agree with dcmidnight. If you were hearing roadnoise on ALL roads, than there may be an issue.......but you say that most roads are fine. If excessive road noise was an issue with the G, you would here it on all roads IMO. I also don't recall any members here saying they had a road noise issue. To me, this sounds like nothing more than crappy roads.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:59 AM
Yes, some roads are beautifully quiet. It just so happens this is the road I take to work about 15 miles each way, and its just about a straight shot at that. I know all cars are sensitive to road surface, this car seems to go to the extreme.

On tirerack, the tire ratings for the RSA's are ( out of 10 )
6.5 Ride Comfort
6.1 Noise Comfort

This seems to be pretty low for a tire, I'm hoping that a different tire could
help the situation dramatically.

A possible canditate would be:

Goodyear Eagle ResponseEdge (all season touring)
8.6.Ride Comfort
8.8 Noise Comfort

"while delivering a blend of responsive handling and comfortable ride qualities that allow drivers to feel the road, not the rumble"

Note: Will be using blazaks in the winter so all season is not a necessity

Old 04-30-2007, 11:03 AM
If the problem was with the tires and car you would notice the noise on all roads. The fact that most other roads are quiet means that the road is the variable here. IMO if the road is in such lousy shape no tire is going to help you out. I drive the RSAs around the DC area on a variety of roads good and bad and everywhere in between and have no complaints.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:01 PM
lots of people say the rsa's are noisy. but you have many tire options.

i looked at the yokohama yk520's. most people say theyre quiet.

i drive a newer lexus, and on some roads & crappy roads, i still hear the thuds and squeals.

so dont feel bad. The lexus might have a little more sound insulation. but the infiniti is just a better car. I can't wait to get rid of this.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:12 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
My Girlfriend's 06 Sedan with the RSAs is quiet as a churchmouse.