G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v36-2007-08-217/)
-   -   Extended warranty prices? (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v36-2007-08/159123-extended-warranty-prices.html)

Nissanfan84 05-29-2007 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Culture
In some cases, if you finance through the manufacturer, they may offer a lower rate if you get the Extended Warranty. Has anyone seen / heard that with Infiniti?

I'd like to use this as a bargaining chip this week...

I wouldn't expect a large concession on interest rate, but personally if someone told me they would buy a warranty if I could save them 50 basis points, I would do it...

Depends though, if you go into the finance office at buy rate, they wont be able to make a concession for you.

tagheuer 05-30-2007 07:57 AM

[QUOTE=Nissanfan84]

Originally Posted by tagheuer

What I mean by dealerships pricing service cheaper to warranty companies is that by self insuring, you cannot set up the same amount for repairs like a warranty company can.

One claim can completely cover the cost of the warranty, and in most cases, two claims alone pays for the warranty. You make the assumption that a car is perfect and won't break down. An average car has 15k parts. lets say that it is 99.99% perfect. that still leaves you with 15 parts that aren't. The average repair bill is $300, so 15x300= $4500

I too would gamble that my car wont break down 15 times. But nothing is perfect. I would rather have the peace of mind knowing that I won't have to come out of pocket potentially thousands of dollars for a mechanical failure than attempt to get a measly 5% return on 1500. (which could evaporate in a milisecond, where your benefits are going to stay in effect for the entire time you purchased.

By the way, do you insure your car against a collision? You probably spend upwards of $2000 per year for that. Why wouldn't you want to insure your mechanical parts as well? For about $400 a year, you can cover yourself from mechanical failure (and by the way, your coverage cannot change, cannot be canceled, and cannot increase in cost) for the full term of the warranty....

For a dollar a day, wouldn't you want that peace of mind?

I understand all your points. My point is there is only one reason Infiniti sells extended warranties: to make money. My second point is that (at least with well built cars like Infinitis) the cost of any out of warranty repairs from 60k to 100k will rarely exceed the price you pay for the warranty.

You are taking a bet that you know you are likely to lose.

The other problem I have with this extended warranty is that I should have a pretty good idea by 60k miles whether I am likely to have major problems, i.e. if I have a lemon.

If the engine and trans run great until 60k, it is pretty unlikely they will not last another 40k miles.

Culture 05-30-2007 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Nissanfan84
I wouldn't expect a large concession on interest rate, but personally if someone told me they would buy a warranty if I could save them 50 basis points, I would do it...

Depends though, if you go into the finance office at buy rate, they wont be able to make a concession for you.

Nice to know - that makes sense, I appreciate the input!! I'll post back how this turns out...