G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Extended warranty prices?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 05:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Extended warranty prices?

As I understand it, we can buy the Infiniti extended warranty from any dealer up until the factory warranty runs out.

Anybody know of a good price and dealership for this? I'm getting all of the toys and I think I'll have the car for a while, so I'm thinking of getting the 7yr/100k/$0. I will try to hold it to $1500, but that is just an educated guess.

Thanks,

Old 05-26-2007, 11:15 AM
Extended warranty

I was also thinking about getting an extended warranty and talked with someone at one of the internets better extended warranty companies. He told me that the rates will change once I hit 3000 miles. I want to say the 7yr/100K was around $1700.

Old 05-26-2007, 11:32 AM
I got the 7yr/100k, 0 deductible Infiniti extended warranty. They offered $2300. I counter-offered $1500. We settled on $1800. I figure that's a fair price for "insurance". The standard powertrain warranty is pretty decent to begin with, but it's nice having a warranty to cover everything, especially since I got every feature available. If it turns out you want to sell your car in less than 7 years, the warranty is transferable to the new owner. That would make selling it easier and would allow you to command a higher price.

According to the Infiniti contract, the price of the extended warranty goes up after 6 months, 6k miles.

Old 05-26-2007, 10:05 PM
Man, that is pretty hefty. My 8yr/120k extended warranty for my Odyssey cost me $1200. I think the "list" price was somewhere north of $2000. But, there's a dealer contact over on the Odyssey forum that sells the warranty online for $1200 and I got my dealer to match it.

I don't suppose there's an entrepreneurial dealership like that in the Infiniti realm that anyone knows of?

Old 05-27-2007, 05:56 AM
Well, it doesn't matter what dealership you get the warranty from (as long as it's Infiniti's warranty). I only spoke to two dealerships (the one where I purchased my car from and the one where I purchased the warranty from). I probably could have gotten $1500, maybe a tad better from another dealership if I really worked at it, but figured it's not worth my time/aggravation.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:24 AM
VPP pricing seems to be about $1,800

I thought about the warranty but then came to my senses.
In almost all cases extended warranties are a ripoff. Think about it.

Infiniti is gambling that they will not have to perform more than $1,800 of repairs to your vehicle from 60k to 100k miles. They have the upper hand since they have more knowledge and can better predict the repair cost than you.

It actually is very simple, they sell extended warranties because they know, on average, that their repair costs will be less than $1,800. If that is the case, why would YOU want to buy an extended warranty?

Its just like Vegas, which is why people don't understand you can't really make money gambling, the house has a statisical advantage and will ALWAYS win in the long run.

You will almost always come out ahead if you "self-insure". Take $1000 put it into an investment that yields 5-6% interest and keep it somewhat liquid. If you have a need for an out of warranty repair, use your own "extended warranty" fund. At that point you are out of warranty and can go to an independent shop, and parts should be cheaper because in 4 years the G35 will be outdated and old news.

I will bet anyone on here that (unless you have a lemon) you will not be spending $1,800 of repairs from 60,000 to 100,000 miles. Aren't these cars pretty reliable and maintenance free up to 100k?

Old 05-28-2007, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by tagheuer

Infiniti is gambling that they will not have to perform more than $1,800 of repairs to your vehicle from 60k to 100k miles. They have the upper hand since they have more knowledge and can better predict the repair cost than you.

It actually is very simple, they sell extended warranties because they know, on average, that their repair costs will be less than $1,800. If that is the case, why would YOU want to buy an extended warranty?

Its just like Vegas, which is why people don't understand you can't really make money gambling, the house has a statisical advantage and will ALWAYS win in the long run.

You will almost always come out ahead if you "self-insure". Take $1000 put it into an investment that yields 5-6% interest and keep it somewhat liquid. If you have a need for an out of warranty repair, use your own "extended warranty" fund. At that point you are out of warranty and can go to an independent shop, and parts should be cheaper because in 4 years the G35 will be outdated and old news.

I will bet anyone on here that (unless you have a lemon) you will not be spending $1,800 of repairs from 60,000 to 100,000 miles. Aren't these cars pretty reliable and maintenance free up to 100k?
Normally, I'd agree. We don't do extended warranties on things like TVs or Fridges. The extended warranty on this car may be different.

Because I can buy this warranty from any dealer, I can squeeze the dealer's margins a bit. That's why I started this thread -- to see how far we can squeeze dealer margins on the warrenty sale.

If something like the nav system goes later, I don't think anybody but an Infiniti dealer will be able to fix it and they will use that to inflate their margins. Even on simple stuff like the 15K maintance where other places can do the work, we are seeing the dealers charging double the non-dealer prices.

Trending Topics

Old 05-28-2007, 11:11 AM
Where's the Pr0N?
Originally Posted by tagheuer

Extended warranties carry concurrent benefits that give you way more protection than you could by "self-insuring." Rental car coverage and roadside assistance are among the benefits.

Furthermore, dealerships give different pricing to warranty companies than they do consumers, so you will never come out ahead by self insuring.

By the way, I sell car extended warranties every day, since I do Financing for a car dealership in S. FL.

Each state is different when it comes to warranties and the way they are sold. In Florida, warranty prices are fixed. Dealerships cannot negiotiate the prices. What you will find different is the warranty coverages. I sell exclusionary warranties which give you the most coverage. While slightly more expensive than inclusionary warranties, the benefits are clear when you see how many things are actually covered.

If anyone lives in Florida and would like a price quote for a warranty, then please PM me with your model info and current mileage. Coverage is limited by the amount of miles on the car at time of warranty purchase; hence it is always cheaper to buy a warranty when you buy the car new instead of waiting for your warranty to almost be over.

Old 05-28-2007, 11:22 AM
Where's the Pr0N?
I can only speak on behalf of Florida warranty prices but my understanding of other states is that the standard markup for warranties is 2x the cost.

I don't think you can sit in front of a finance manager and beat him up over his warranty prices because we are paid on the gross profit, not the volume (again, cant speak on behalf of anyone but myself, but it is industry standard) but I think your best bet to get them to move on the price is to use the price match close.

Mr. Manager, I got a quote from X dealership for the same warranty for $500 less. I will buy it today if you sell it to me for $150 less, otherwise I will go back to them."

I dont think you will have anyone tell you to go somewhere else and get it, unless they are really strong and don't need your business for less than what they want to sell it to you for.

Hope that helps!

Old 05-28-2007, 04:29 PM
Yes, many folks buy the extended warranty, knowing that, on average, the money you spend on the extended warranty may be more than what you might spend out of pocket. It is a form of insurance, and provides peace of mind, particularly if you plan on keeping the car for a while. I was particularly unlucky in my previous car, and an extended warranty would have saved me a lot. It's particularly nice when something goes wrong and that isn't necessarilly a major problem (i.e. doesn't affect the drivability of the car), but would cost a lot to fix, so you may not actually fix it w/o warranty. For example, my previous car's heated seats went bad, and fixing it would have cost $400. There's a lot of little things that may go wrong over the course of 7 years, and can add up to a lot of $$$. A warranty from a car manufacturer has various advantages, such as being able to bring it to any dealer. Some problems that crop up may require multiple visits to the dealership also, and a warranty is nice to have in those cases (especially when the dealership claims they don't observe the problem the first time you bring it in). If you wind up not keeping the car for 7 years, you can command a better price since the warranty is transferable. Plus, the warranty also covers roadside assistance, car rentals, and other incidentals that may occur if your car breaks down. An extended warranty is not for everyone, so you need to decide if it is worth the peace of mind. I bought every possible option on my car, which has a lot of high-tech features (Nav, ICC, etc.), and if something goes wrong with one of those items, it can be expensive to fix. Fortunately, they don't charge for the warranty based on how many options you bought. So, a stripped-down G35 has the same extended warranty price as a G35 with all the features.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:22 PM
$1600 for my 7 yr / 100K

My previous thread on EW.

I paid $1600 for 7 yr / 100K when I bought the car in Jan 2007.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:32 AM
[QUOTE=Nissanfan84]Extended warranties carry concurrent benefits that give you way more protection than you could by "self-insuring." Rental car coverage and roadside assistance are among the benefits.

Furthermore, dealerships give different pricing to warranty companies than they do consumers, so you will never come out ahead by self insuring.

By the way, I sell car extended warranties every day, since I do Financing for a car dealership in S. FL. QUOTE]

1. Ok, so a rental car and tow truck are worth $1,800 to you? Again, that is only 40k of coverage. Try AAA, a lot cheaper.

2. Your second point doesn't make any sense. Of course the consumer can't get the price charged to warranty companies.

Don't ever forget, Infiniti is betting (and will almost always win their bet) that your car will not require that many repairs in only 40,000 miles.

Everyone always seems to forget they are losing the time value of money. You'd be much better off taking $1,800 (or whatever the charge is) and invest it, at least you are earning interest for the first 4 years.

I still stand by my point, in almost all cases extended warranties are a waste of money.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:49 PM
I paid $1900 I think for my extended warranty. If I had gotten the vanilla G ie no tech or nav package I wouldn't not have gotten it but given the amount of technology in those packages I felt comfortable for the piece of mind.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:39 PM
Where's the Pr0N?
[QUOTE=tagheuer]
Originally Posted by Nissanfan84
Extended warranties carry concurrent benefits that give you way more protection than you could by "self-insuring." Rental car coverage and roadside assistance are among the benefits.

By the way, I sell car extended warranties every day, since I do Financing for a car dealership in S. FL. QUOTE]

1. Ok, so a rental car and tow truck are worth $1,800 to you? Again, that is only 40k of coverage. Try AAA, a lot cheaper.

2. Your second point doesn't make any sense. Of course the consumer can't get the price charged to warranty companies.

Don't ever forget, Infiniti is betting (and will almost always win their bet) that your car will not require that many repairs in only 40,000 miles.

Everyone always seems to forget they are losing the time value of money. You'd be much better off taking $1,800 (or whatever the charge is) and invest it, at least you are earning interest for the first 4 years.

I still stand by my point, in almost all cases extended warranties are a waste of money.

What I mean by dealerships pricing service cheaper to warranty companies is that by self insuring, you cannot set up the same amount for repairs like a warranty company can.

One claim can completely cover the cost of the warranty, and in most cases, two claims alone pays for the warranty. You make the assumption that a car is perfect and won't break down. An average car has 15k parts. lets say that it is 99.99% perfect. that still leaves you with 15 parts that aren't. The average repair bill is $300, so 15x300= $4500

I too would gamble that my car wont break down 15 times. But nothing is perfect. I would rather have the peace of mind knowing that I won't have to come out of pocket potentially thousands of dollars for a mechanical failure than attempt to get a measly 5% return on 1500. (which could evaporate in a milisecond, where your benefits are going to stay in effect for the entire time you purchased.

By the way, do you insure your car against a collision? You probably spend upwards of $2000 per year for that. Why wouldn't you want to insure your mechanical parts as well? For about $400 a year, you can cover yourself from mechanical failure (and by the way, your coverage cannot change, cannot be canceled, and cannot increase in cost) for the full term of the warranty....

For a dollar a day, wouldn't you want that peace of mind?

Old 05-29-2007, 04:46 PM
In some cases, if you finance through the manufacturer, they may offer a lower rate if you get the Extended Warranty. Has anyone seen / heard that with Infiniti?

I'd like to use this as a bargaining chip this week...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Extended warranty prices?