G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Music Box functionality

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 07:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Music Box functionality

Well I am considering a G35 sedan and the sound system is awesome, but the limitaions on the music box seem strange. Ages ago I ripped all my CDs to my computer and spent a lot of time cleaning up and standardizing my MP3 ID tags. in my old TL was greta just create CDs with MP3s on them and set up the folders how I liek and the TL handled it. All 6 CDs could play MP3 or DVD-A or WMA. Now the G35 with HDD looks great, but first i read you can't play MP3's from the 6 disc changer, just the dash. Then I read it won;t copy MP3s form the dash into the Music Box. Seems rather lame to me. I am sure their answer will have something to do with DRM and RIAA, but I own this damn music! Seems liek a huge waste of time to create custom CD's in CDA format, let the MB rip them, then dump the unidentified songs back to CF then to computer to clean up title info then back to car. WOW! such are the convienences of the Music Box! NOT! OK Infiniti, come on an fix this, i rarely listen to the entire CD of most of my collection.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:35 AM
You sound like me where the CDs are scattered and have spend numerous hours cleaning and organizing my MP3s. I would say that you should just do what I do and invest in some 2GB CompactFlash cards and put your MP3s on there. They're fairly easy to swap. Each card is like having 3 CDs filled with MP3s (so 2 cards would be equivalent to your trunk changer). And if you ever want to change songs, you don't have to reburn, just move whatever files you want. Once I started using CF, I havent put a CD in the dash...and I've never put one in the trunk.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by DaCurryman
You sound like me where the CDs are scattered and have spend numerous hours cleaning and organizing my MP3s. I would say that you should just do what I do and invest in some 2GB CompactFlash cards and put your MP3s on there. They're fairly easy to swap. Each card is like having 3 CDs filled with MP3s (so 2 cards would be equivalent to your trunk changer). And if you ever want to change songs, you don't have to reburn, just move whatever files you want. Once I started using CF, I havent put a CD in the dash...and I've never put one in the trunk.
what is the max size CF the G35 will support, hell I can get a 8GB CF and that negates the need for the music box!

Old 08-24-2007, 11:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kluken
what is the max size CF the G35 will support, hell I can get a 8GB CF and that negates the need for the music box!
It will support any size CF...However...It will only support 250 (I think) files. This negates the value of having a large CF card, unless you put a whole album on the CF card as a single file. (I'm sure there's a way to do this) Yet another ridiculous oversight in the appliations of the SOW.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ 512 files

Old 08-24-2007, 11:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by douglas555
It will support any size CF...However...It will only support 250 (I think) files. This negates the value of having a large CF card, unless you put a whole album on the CF card as a single file. (I'm sure there's a way to do this) Yet another ridiculous oversight in the appliations of the SOW.
Do you expect the SoW to have all the functionality of a quadcore pentium based computer? Please stop

Old 08-24-2007, 12:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ChristianN
Do you expect the SoW to have all the functionality of a quadcore pentium based computer? Please stop
Okay, so 512 files - anyway, that's a terribly easy thing to fix - to allow more files. It's really only good for about a 2 gb CF card. They really dropped the ball on that one.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:04 PM
This all seems rediculous. I see Mitsubishi did same thing on their new Lancer, the Music Server will only rip CDA CDs, not MP3 import capability and worse, they don't have a CF slot. honestly if they are going to be this short sighted, they are better off ditching the HD and giving you an IPOD and a dock inthe car, far more flexibility than this process.

Old 08-24-2007, 02:48 PM
This all seems rediculous. I see Mitsubishi did same thing on their new Lancer, the Music Server will only rip CDA CDs, not MP3 import capability and worse, they don't have a CF slot. honestly if they are going to be this short sighted, they are better off ditching the HD and giving you an IPOD and a dock inthe car, far more flexibility than this process.
I don't think they were being short sighted...I think they did for the reason of having people copy MP3s as a DRM issue, so they didn't allow it.

And as for the iPod dock...they actually did one better and gave you a full AUX input so it's not limited to the iPod but any audio/visual player of your choice. And for 2008 they're even giving people a specific iPod input.

I personally commend Infinti for the options:
Radio/XM Satellite/CD+Changer/Music Box/CompactFlash/AUX Input

That's a lot more than almost every other car...

Old 08-24-2007, 03:01 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Ridiculous huh? Give me a car in the same class that gives the driver more options for playing music than the G? You've got CDs, Music Box, Satellite Radio, Compact Flash, AUX ports, and iPod connector with the 08 model. How is that NOT flexible? Jeez.

Old 08-24-2007, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Ridiculous huh? Give me a car in the same class that gives the driver more options for playing music than the G? You've got CDs, Music Box, Satellite Radio, Compact Flash, AUX ports, and iPod connector with the 08 model. How is that NOT flexible? Jeez.
You guys are misisngt he point, the limitations for how to getmusic into the Music Box is ridiculous. The RIAA casues us to be victims of their restrictions. Allowing me to creat a CD on my computer that has the folders and MP3s on it then put that into the G and say copy CD would be awesome. Even the big music sellers are agreeing that DRM restricted music was not working and more and more places are selling downloadable music without DRM. I do commend Infiniti for the optiosn, btu then again, why can't I put 6 CDs with MP3s on them in the trunk changer?

Old 08-24-2007, 04:18 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
You guys are misisngt he point, the limitations for how to getmusic into the Music Box is ridiculous. The RIAA casues us to be victims of their restrictions. Allowing me to creat a CD on my computer that has the folders and MP3s on it then put that into the G and say copy CD would be awesome. Even the big music sellers are agreeing that DRM restricted music was not working and more and more places are selling downloadable music without DRM. I do commend Infiniti for the optiosn, btu then again, why can't I put 6 CDs with MP3s on them in the trunk changer?
If you are so hung up on this, don't buy it. Simple.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:10 PM
If you are so hung up on this, don't buy it. Simple.
Chill, I like the car overall, just saying how inflexible it is to get MP3s into the system.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:55 PM
Long story short...could the G's music system be better? Sure, there's always room for improvement. Is it more than adequate to meet the majority of a driver's musical needs? You're damned right. More so than just about any other car on the road. I'm guessing that we'll see some kind of software upgrades to address some of the issues voiced in this thread as time trudges forward.

So, if it's a huge problem, don't complain about it...report it to Infiniti. They're the only ones who can actually do anything about it.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:45 PM
Don't forget AM/FM!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Music Box functionality