G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Are there any trunk CD changer replacements?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 09:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Good job removing the CD Changer. How long did it take you?
Mine came out in about 5 minutes. Really easy, and I'm not particularly mechanically inclined.

I used a medium sized flat head screwdriver to pop out the 4 plastic pins. Easy. Very little force has the heads pop down, then use your hand to pull them out. I didn't damage any of them [EDIT - I damaged all 5!! The tabs that hold the pin in place were all bent outward. Could probably fix with pliers]]. FYI, the replacement liner needs 5 pins and doesn't come with any.

After the pins were out, the only thing holding up the liner is the Velcro on the underside and the lip of the bottom liner. A little pulling and it'll just pop off.

Next is the changer. First unplug the data/control cable. Push the little tab at the top and giggle from side to side.

There are 4 screws attaching its bracket to the underside of the back dash. I used a ratchet to remove them. They were very tight until I made that first 1/4 turn.

I'm picking up the liner and 5 tabs today. Will post photos after its done and report back with part numbers.

I'm excited to say that with the changer disconnected, it's no longer an option when you cycle through source on the head end.

Last edited by weinberk; 11-28-2007 at 05:08 PM. Reason: damage to pins
Old 11-28-2007, 12:42 PM
sweet. I didn't get around to doing this in the fall, and hell if I'm gonna freeze my butt off in MN winter weather to do it now . I'll probably pull the changer out next spring. There've been a few times now where the stupid changer bulge made the trunk less than accessible for what I wanted to drop in it.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:18 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
nice job, i can see myself doing the same thing in the near future. for a smallish trunk already, the cd bulge isn't helping anything.

and the ipod is capable of playing uncompressed music, and lossless compressed music. these file types will take up more memory, but will be the same quality as the original cd. so the only factor would be the DAC in the ipod vs the car. the g35 says they use a high quality DAC, but in a car environment i have serious doubts that i could hear any difference.

seems like a good experiment, compare the same audio tracks from the cd, uncompressed audio file, lossless compressed audio file, 256kbps mp4, 192kbps mp4, and see if i can hear any difference. i'm guessing the 256kbps aac file will sound just as good as the cd, making the cd changer in the trunk obsolete.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:22 PM
yeah, it wasn't more than 10 minutes on mine either...pretty quick process just as weinberk described. BTW weinberk, how much did you pay for your replacement liner, and did you get it through the dealership?

Old 11-28-2007, 05:15 PM
Trunk Liner Replaced - removed CD Changer

OK - I'm done.

I ordered:

part 84910-JK00A
FINISHER ASSY-TRUNK (the liner)

and five part 01553-09611
CLIP (the pins)

The trunk liner was 79.08. The clips were 1.73 each. I tried finding the liner online, but couldn't find it anywhere. Came from my dealer.

Only took about 5 minutes to put the new liner in. Couldn't have been easier.

Here's some pics - though why I'm posting them, I don't know, looks just like a G's trunk that has an in dash changer... The last photo shows the liner that was removed.

Attached Thumbnails Are there any trunk CD changer replacements?-1.jpg   Are there any trunk CD changer replacements?-2.jpg   Are there any trunk CD changer replacements?-3.jpg   Are there any trunk CD changer replacements?-4.jpg  
Old 11-28-2007, 08:07 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
^ Awesome, thanks for the info!

Old 12-08-2007, 11:18 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Got a few questions
  1. Per the original post, is there such a thing as repalcement unit- ie one that plays mp3's?
    --
  2. On the point of making use of the connector...is there such a thing as some sort of custom adaptor or cable to connect a spare ipod?? -would love to be able just to connect it (assuuming it would stay charged) and leave it there for a spare 1000 songs! If the system could 'recognize' it as one large CD, that would be awesome. Likely not possible though.
    --
  3. Regarding the replacement liner, from what I read in this post, the original has 4 pins and the replacement has 5 ...do they align at all, or does it not matter???

Old 12-08-2007, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by ThatsMyG
Got a few questions
  1. Regarding the replacement liner, from what I read in this post, the original has 4 pins and the replacement has 5 ...do they align at all, or does it not matter???
Correct, there are 5 pins for the non-cd changer liner. The 5th pin is approximately where the cd changer would go in the trunk. The other 4 are in the exact same spot as the cd changer liner's holes.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:20 PM
Re making use of the connector, ideally for use with a spare iPod, I'm beginning to think something might indeed be possible.

Check out these links:

http://www.usaspec.com/ipod_product_sheets/pa11-nis.pdf

and:

http://www.thegatesofdawn.ca/wordpre...ace-in-my-g35/

I personally would never dabble with the dash, but seems to be there might be something here re the 'spare' CD changer connector.

I dont know enough about this, but perhaps someone does.

See also : http://www.oemautosound.com/c-155-in...-products.aspx

I have my wire cutters ready... seems to me we are 'this' close to finding something that can be connected to ,or spliced into, the connector/wiring free'd up by removing the trunk CD changer.

Attached Thumbnails Are there any trunk CD changer replacements?-ipod.jpg  

Last edited by ThatsMyG; 12-08-2007 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
off the top of your heads, when you rip cds to the hard drive, does it do its own thing or can you choose the bit rate? does it also have the same function for compact flash to move it to the hard drive?

Old 12-08-2007, 12:53 PM
Also see http://www.discountcarstereo.com/pdf/pa11-nis.pdf

Particualrly like the reference "This interface is designed as an alternate replacement to the Nissan external 6 Disc CD Changer or XM"

Old 12-08-2007, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by jdanielsg
off the top of your heads, when you rip cds to the hard drive, does it do its own thing or can you choose the bit rate? does it also have the same function for compact flash to move it to the hard drive?
Re CF card movement to hard drive - not possiblw as far as I know

Re bit rate - According to the manual, you can "Set the recording quality of 105 kbps or 132 kbps. The default is set to 132 kbps."

Attached Thumbnails Are there any trunk CD changer replacements?-kbps.jpg  
Old 12-09-2007, 02:00 PM
I contacted discountcarstereo.com re potential use of the PA11 in the trunk: They say this:

The adapter cable included with the PA11-NIS must be connected to the back of the radio.. It will not fit or can't be modified to fit the factory cable in the trunk. Hope this helps.
As well, just noticed the price!. Certainly not interested at that price. I guess its best just to leave the CD changer connector be, spend the money on the liner, and throw out the changer!

Old 12-09-2007, 02:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ThatsMyG
Re CF card movement to hard drive - not possiblw as far as I know

Re bit rate - According to the manual, you can "Set the recording quality of 105 kbps or 132 kbps. The default is set to 132 kbps."

hmm only 132 thats not very impressive.... i think I am gonna have to read the manual, since it doesnt rip from CF, I guess it doesnt record xm radio either LOL so only CD rip...i'd rather just get a big CF and play come good 256kb stuff...

Old 12-09-2007, 03:48 PM
Dont forget bit rate is only one determining factor of audio quality ( along side dymamic range, frequency response, distortion, signal to noise ratio etc. True, the uisic box compresses to 132 kps but its a proprietry format, created from a clean quality commerical 1440kps CD source. The resulting quality is suprisingly quite good. In a car, with its acousitics and natural nosie levels, other distractions, and the dirvers concentration hopefully focussed on the road, you would readlly be hard pressed to notice any discernal difference between the music box, the CF card and the mp3 audio if they were all taken from the same original. I often switch between them all and you really cant tel one from the other while driving. All you tend to do is smile. And my benchmark at home are Klipsch speakers, SVS sub and a Harmon Kardon AVR.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Are there any trunk CD changer replacements?