G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

XM Nav Traffic - not so helpful

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 11:24 AM
JSG
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't used this feature too much, but something I've noticed is that it doesn't automatically refresh itself-you have to use the back button and then prompt the traffic screen again. This is kind of annoying, especially on long drives. Am I missing something?

Old 10-26-2007, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by JSG
I haven't used this feature too much, but something I've noticed is that it doesn't automatically refresh itself-you have to use the back button and then prompt the traffic screen again. This is kind of annoying, especially on long drives. Am I missing something?
Mine updates just fine... if you leave the screen open, it will decrease the distance to the incidents. It doesn't happen real-time though, more like every 10th or 1/4 mile or so.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by KulG35
orange county, CA... XM Traffic = USELESS CRAP! even the xm radio sound quality stunk! When I got the survey for NAV and Radio.... I TORE IT APART!
Orange county here as well. Agreed the sound quality is pretty bad on some. But try 113 XM Pops.. GREAT sound quality. I don't listen to classical but it sounds darn good. Most of the rock/pop stations are very compressed sounding.

Traffic - Disagree. It's not 100% but I've never been in traffic while the lines are green. Even the orange/red has been pretty spot on. It's especially helpful to check the 91 to determine if I should take the toll roads or not. As far as rerouting, like mentioned earlier, ask for reroute and it'll do it, or just say "Minimize freeway" and get off. It'll reroute.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by Sickler
Orange county here as well. Agreed the sound quality is pretty bad on some. But try 113 XM Pops.. GREAT sound quality. I don't listen to classical but it sounds darn good. Most of the rock/pop stations are very compressed sounding.
113 and 110. Love those 2 channels.

Old 10-26-2007, 04:54 PM
i live in LA and everytime i go to school i chekc for traffic so it helps me actually a lot...never tried the reroute yet....thats why i actually singed up for xm and traffic after my free trial got hooked up for $124 for the whole year...so im happy

Old 10-30-2007, 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by jl114
And we don't even have it in Canada...
Actually, that's not totally true. I've got US XM on my canadian car (activated with US address). I've been getting XM traffic incident reports when I look up info and go to traffic option. We still don't have red, green etc. traffic flow info (much more useful) in Toronto. I'll wait until that's available to decide if I want to keep XM. (The sound quality is not great compared to the CF or CD's IMO)

Old 10-30-2007, 02:48 AM
Here in Las Vegas we don't have full Nav Traffic, we just have have incident reporting. From my experience it works pretty well, one time the 95 was completely closed, this is a main artery for las vegas, It didn't reroute but it alerted me and even spoke it to me, and I have the voice turned off, I guess it thought it was that important. When I hit the reroute button it did give me an alternative. Another thing that I really like is that it shows objects on the road and disabled vehicles,

Old 10-30-2007, 04:02 PM
I haven't received any audio warnings though I have incident reporting as well. Do I have to manually activate traffic? (I've got a little blue icon at the top left of my nav screen that says traffic, but nothing much happens when I try to press on it). The only way I can see the incidents is if I hit info --> traffic.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by dcmidnight
XM Traffic has worked great for me in Northern VA/DC. I commute in and travel around the area a lot and have frequently been routed around traffic. If its a longer trip I always set my route before hand but I cant count the number of times it has helped me. If I have the NAV zoomed out I can often see the accident symbols before I normally would think of looking for them as I'm just not going to listen to the XM traffic station for an hour or two straight. It also helps in my normal commute when I'm approaching a major highway I can see the traffic flow far enough in advance to continue on side roads if I need to and not need to worry about crossing four lanes of traffic to get off.

Eh, to each his own I guess, it works for me.
Man I've found it to be the exact opposite. But I know that most of the time there really isn't an alternative route. Plus it won't work on route 7 (Leesburg Pike). It only gives traffic information on major highways and interstates, although route 7 is God awful during rush hour.

Although I will look at traffic info to find out how bad traffic is before I decide to go a particular route.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by westsideg35
On the Westside of LA, I have noticed that the traffic doesn't even show up at all on the 10 between the 405 and 110 and it sometimes doesn't show up on the 405 between Sunset and the 105. I also find that when it does show the lines, they are not even accurate.
Not anymore. You can now get traffic reports for the entire stretch of the Santa Monica, which made me really happy when they started showing up two weeks ago.

NAV Traffic reads into highway flow monitoring systems that are installed on highways. So it is entirely dependent on whether a not a city's highways have flow monitoring, which the I-10 got about two weeks ago.

In Miami there are no flow monitors, so XM can't show traffic flow.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by westsideg35
On the Westside of LA, I have noticed that the traffic doesn't even show up at all on the 10 between the 405 and 110 and it sometimes doesn't show up on the 405 between Sunset and the 105. I also find that when it does show the lines, they are not even accurate.
Not anymore. You can now get traffic reports for the entire stretch of the Santa Monica, which made me really happy when they started showing up two weeks ago. They started showing up about two Tuesdays ago.

NAV Traffic reads into highway flow monitoring systems that are installed on highways. So it is entirely dependent on whether a not a city's highways have flow monitoring, which the I-10 got about two weeks ago.

In Miami there are no flow monitors, so XM can't show traffic flow.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:08 PM
Los Angeles driver here, I love NAV traffic. The highway traffic flow markers are dead on right. I have not asked for a "reroute" because once I am in the freeway system I just Zoom OUT to see flow on alternate freeways, then I jump onto routes that show clear. If you get off the freeway you can navigate surface streets and it will continue to try to get you back on the freeway, which I will do when I am past the obstruction. There is also incident reporting which gives real time traffic incident reports. I am very happy with the service.