G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Intelligent Key Battery Life Sucks!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 11:00 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
I never had a problem with mine before I did the I-Key Recall at 10 months.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had to replace mine every 4-5 months. My wife's key hasn't been changed since we got the car two years ago, but that cuz she never drives it. I've brought mine in a couple of times because it takes a while sometimes for the car to register the key when you try to start it. but all they ever say is "you need a new battery". i plan on taking it in again to have the discolored center console taken care of, and will have them check the fob out again.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
I am in my 13 month of ownership and haven't had to replace them yet.........BUT I am certainly not going to complain when the times comes.
^^ +1

Old 12-11-2007, 11:15 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
+1, I don't see what the big idea is whatsoever. The beauty of having an i-key is being able to leave it in your pocket so you don't need to plug it into the port. Your i-key is continuously communicating with the car via blue tooth, and that requires battery power to do so.

I am in my 13 month of ownership and haven't had to replace them yet.........BUT I am certainly not going to complain when the times comes.
Did they go to bluetooth on the '07 keys? I'm sure the '05 and '06s were based on passive RF responding to an RF signal from the car. That's why they warned against storing the fob near RF sources to avoid draining the battery.
I was beginning to think that the battery issue was unique to the '07s (like the cell phone scramble problem) till I saw the two posts below yours. I've been using mine every day for two and a half years and the original battery is still OK.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:26 AM
I haven't had to replace either of my keys yet(original or recall key). Is it literally just like swapping out a watch battery when it goes out, or do we need to get it rematched up with the car when the battery dies?

Old 12-11-2007, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by usual_suspect
Did they go to bluetooth on the '07 keys? I'm sure the '05 and '06s were based on passive RF responding to an RF signal from the car. That's why they warned against storing the fob near RF sources to avoid draining the battery.
I was beginning to think that the battery issue was unique to the '07s (like the cell phone scramble problem) till I saw the two posts below yours. I've been using mine every day for two and a half years and the original battery is still OK.
They aren't using bluetooth, it's still RF based.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:55 AM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
I've had my car for a year now without changing I-key batterys and I just did the recall a few weeks ago. I 'm guessing you use the I-key buttons a lot.

To extend battery life, minimize use of the I-key buttons because transmitting the signal uses much more power than passive mode (keeping I-key in pocket and using the buttons on the door handle and trunk instead).

Originally Posted by tagheuer
I had the recall done about 3 months ago, received two brand new ikeys, due to the cellphone issue everyone knows about...

So, I have had my new key a total of 3 months, and yesterday the display informed me that the battery is low already!!!!!! WTF??!?

This is supposedly a 3 month old key straight from the factory....and I drive "normally", once in the morning to work and then on the way, nothing excessive, not like I'm driving the G as a taxi cab, with 50 starts a day.

1. Has anyone had to replace the battery, and if so, where did you get one?

2. Why didn't infiniti make the battery rechargeable, and allow us to recharge by placing in key port?

I buy a 35k luxury sedan, and I have to pry open the key fob to replace a little watch battery....pretty retarded.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had my G for 1 year and 3 days...

and have had no trouble with battery life.

I have never pushed a single button on the fob. I just put it in my pocket and forget it's there.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:31 PM
lot of misinformation here.

As others have noted, the intelligent key doesn't have anything to do with bluetooth, it is RF, a separate and distinct technology.

And I NEVER use the buttons on the fob, why would I? I always press the button on the door handle.

I'm not complaining about price of the stupid .99 battery, but the pain to change it every 3 months...

But it sounds like something is wrong with mine, because everyone else is getting more than 3 months.

Like I said, BMW has comfort access, some keys recharge in dash, but even their non-rechargeable batteries last quite a few years, I have never had one die on me before.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by GEE35X
Old !!!, Did you say Old !! Speak up Tom. Define Old

Don't be picking on old people
Ha, I said Old Lady, not Old Guy! I'm sure we fit the description if you ask some of the kids here!

Old 12-11-2007, 12:57 PM
+1, I don't see what the big idea is whatsoever. The beauty of having an i-key is being able to leave it in your pocket so you don't need to plug it into the port. Your i-key is continuously communicating with the car via blue tooth, and that requires battery power to do so.

I didn't know the bluetooth connection, good to know Shane!

Old 12-11-2007, 01:00 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
If you never push the buttons on the I-key and you are only getting 3 months at a time, I agree with you ... there is something wrong with the I-key. Can you try using the other key and see how long it lasts for?

As others have noted, the intelligent key doesn't have anything to do with bluetooth, it is RF, a separate and distinct technology.

And I NEVER use the buttons on the fob, why would I? I always press the button on the door handle.

I'm not complaining about price of the stupid .99 battery, but the pain to change it every 3 months...

But it sounds like something is wrong with mine, because everyone else is getting more than 3 months.

Like I said, BMW has comfort access, some keys recharge in dash, but even their non-rechargeable batteries last quite a few years, I have never had one die on me before.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:20 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
My mistake on indicating that it was Bluetooth. However, the concept is still the same......since Bluetooth DOES use the RF to communicate. Whether the i-key uses Bluetooth or any other band in the RF spectrum is irrelevant. The fact remains that constant communication between the i-key and the car continuously uses battery power.

But I agree that it seems your i-key isn't getting normal battery life for whatever reason.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:52 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Batteries are CR2025!

VERY easy to change!

Old 12-11-2007, 02:21 PM
I just changed mine out about two weeks ago, and its been 3 months, but I still have issues with the car picking up the remote, sometimes while trying to start the car, and other times when trying to open the trunk with the button on the rear. I think having to change it every few months is ridiculous!!!! Besides, my RSX remote hasn't needed a change yet, and those batteries are at least 5 years old!!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Intelligent Key Battery Life Sucks!!!!!!!!!