G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Gas Tank Capacity Question.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 12:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah you definitely don't wanna wait till empty to fill up...that's just lazy and irresponsible

Old 01-11-2008, 12:17 PM
Out of many - one people
Originally Posted by AesonVirus
Seriously.... not trying to look like a wiseass...

I try to always keep the car above 3/8 - 1/2 tank full.
Yes, this causes me to visit the gas station more often, but if there was ever an emergency and I needed to jump into my G and get somewhere fast, the last thing I wanna do is drive to a garage for gas first.

It's tough to get used to at first but once it's habit, it's no big deal and it's probably only one extra visit per week to the station anyway.
That's fine, but the added weight of always having a near full tank reduces your gas mileage. Don't know what the loss in gas mileage would be per gallon of fuel, but I just thought I would throw that into the mix.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:14 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
I bought my G for the performance, the refinement and the fun factor.
I doubt the difference between driving full and almost empty is that great.
What are we talking about here... maybe $50 a year? (at best)
Also, driving empty just adds to the amount of times you need to fill up. Filling from empty to a 1/4 full, I'd be hitting the gas station every single day... maybe even twice.

If we're that worried about fuel economy, we wouldn't be driving G's to begin with.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's about the same as having another person in the car with you - under 130 lbs. - and less than an equivalent amount of water.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:52 PM
Out of many - one people
Also, driving empty just adds to the amount of times you need to fill up. Filling from empty to a 1/4 full, I'd be hitting the gas station every single day... maybe even twice.

If we're that worried about fuel economy, we wouldn't be driving G's to begin with.
I am sure that most of us (I included) purchased the G for "the performance, refinement and fun factor". I generally don't fill up everytime the tank goes below half or quarter as some have stated. I just simply made a statement about fuel economy as associated with the tank being full or not.

The added weight of a full tank of gas also affects performance albeit minute. It would be trivial to daily drivers, but not to someone using their car at the track.

You might not be concerned about fuel economy because you have a high performance car, but there are some that take it very seriously and not just for the money factor but from a conservation point of view.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:07 PM
Everyone is complaining left and right it seems. My point was just I thought I had a 20 gallon tank.. I'm filling up 17 gallons and I wanted to know why this is the case?? I didn't need smart @sses coming in here telling me "Oh man don't be lazy go get your gas" or "you lazy *** come on don't you have the money?".. I have the money and Duh I know to fill up I just prefer to leave a gallon or two as spare and fill up as much as possible in one visit because I do not ENJOY traveling to the gas station all the time. I just don't find it to be very appealing. I can think of 100s of things better than wasting additional minutes of my life pumping more gas. For instance I can be wasting my time watching tv, sleeping, taking a crap, all more productive or enjoyable in my eyes, but thanks for all those who seem so concerned. If you didn't post a smart @ss comment I thank you for your time and insight.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:52 PM
Out of many - one people
Originally Posted by Oliver514
Everyone is complaining left and right it seems. My point was just I thought I had a 20 gallon tank.. I'm filling up 17 gallons and I wanted to know why this is the case?? I didn't need smart @sses coming in here telling me "Oh man don't be lazy go get your gas" or "you lazy *** come on don't you have the money?".. I have the money and Duh I know to fill up I just prefer to leave a gallon or two as spare and fill up as much as possible in one visit because I do not ENJOY traveling to the gas station all the time. I just don't find it to be very appealing. I can think of 100s of things better than wasting additional minutes of my life pumping more gas. For instance I can be wasting my time watching tv, sleeping, taking a crap, all more productive or enjoyable in my eyes, but thanks for all those who seem so concerned. If you didn't post a smart @ss comment I thank you for your time and insight.
It's a 20 gallon tank and on average, when your display first reads --- , approximately 17 gallons of gas will fill the tank. With that said, it is fair to assume that the reserve will usually be about 3 gallons when the display first reads --- . With 3 gallons at say 20 mpg you would have about 60 more miles to travel.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:33 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by kring
I've always heard that, but common sense tells me otherwise. I'd like to see some sort of proof on this. I'm skeptical.

It's closed system, so how is water getting in to form condensation?
What GEE35X stated is very true. In cold temps and if your gas tank is lower on fuel, condensation/frost will form on the side walls of the tank. When/if temps get warmer, that condensation/frost obviously turns into water....which is not a good thing to have in your gas tank. I keep my tank at least 1/2 full at all times during the winter because of this.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have filled up with 18.5 gallons a couple of times. but normally its just under 17 gallons. 50-60dollars a fill depending on gas prices.

Old 01-12-2008, 05:38 AM
Originally Posted by rupdog326
It's a 20 gallon tank and on average, when your display first reads --- , approximately 17 gallons of gas will fill the tank. With that said, it is fair to assume that the reserve will usually be about 3 gallons when the display first reads --- . With 3 gallons at say 20 mpg you would have about 60 more miles to travel.
Thank you and that was the answer I was looking for.

As a sidenote if it went to --- and I traveled approximately 20 more miles. I would be able to fill up 18 gallons the next time. So my second question is. The next time I fill up will it use up the 18 gallons before it goes ---? or will it use about 17 gallons like "usual" and go ---? (I hope the wording of the question made sense. )

Old 01-12-2008, 07:29 AM
Oliver... do a search on this and find the other threads on the subject.
It has been discussed in the past and a few techs suggested not going past -- as the reserve fuel is only there for emergency and is also used to keep the pump cool. Making a habit of running below "---" is going to do nothing but shorten the lifespan of the fuel pump.
I know it's been discussed here before.

Old 01-12-2008, 02:46 PM
I find it to be quite annoying that you "feel this need" to come into a thread and add nothing to help the topic or the question that is being asked. I already stated that I used the search button, but DID NOT find "EXACTLY" what I was looking for.

Do you really find it necessary to come into a thread and act like a condescending idiot? as evidenced by:

Don't you have anything better to do besides hijack a thread with your useless jibberish about gas prices or how often you would have to hit the gas station?

Also this didn't help me at all.

Oliver... do a search on this and find the other threads on the subject.
It has been discussed in the past and a few techs suggested not going past -- as the reserve fuel is only there for emergency and is also used to keep the pump cool. Making a habit of running below "---" is going to do nothing but shorten the lifespan of the fuel pump.
I know it's been discussed here before.
Do you really find it necessary to act like a ***** online? If what you can tell me is "Do a search bro" gtfo of my thread, Thanks! I don't like being a ***** like yourself, but you deserve it because you've added a bunch of useless junk as seen from the previous quotes I posted. If you don't have the answer I'm looking for don't bother posting in the thread. Don't OPEN THE THREAD and Don't READ THE THREAD. It is actually quite easy. Leave the thread closed.

The following quote was for you and others like yourself "aesonvirus"

I found it very necessary to quote you and quote myself time and time again because I figured, "Hey if some @sshole is going to come into my thread and add useless information and a bunch of crap. I might as well let my thoughts be heard very Loud and Clear

Old 01-12-2008, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by rupdog326

Thank you and that was the answer I was looking for.

As a sidenote if it went to --- and I traveled approximately 20 more miles. I would be able to fill up 18 gallons the next time. So my second question is. The next time I fill up will it use up the 18 gallons before it goes ---? or will it use about 17 gallons like "usual" and go ---? (I hope the wording of the question made sense. )
If anyone has any idea about this question I would love to hear your thoughts. I figured this is a forum and the best place to find answers on my new G.

I hope the idiots don't return to this thread because apparently they have nothing better to do. If you are one of those idiots look above this post^ That post would be for you guys. Have a good one.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:00 PM
Whoa doggies... sounds like a good time to take a nice relaxing drive.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:20 PM
Wow... no doubt!

Oliver, I meant nothing but to help... and I'm sorry that with your short stay (17 posts), you're already upset.

I'll be sure to stay out of your threads from now on!!!
You never know how people will take things, even when no ill regard was intended.

I actually DID read the thread and know exactly what you are asking.
Hijacking a thread is when you jump into someone else's subject and start asking questions of your own... off the started subject. I hijacked nothing.
I was just trying to add a little bit of info that you may not have known and may not have known to ask. That is what we do... we share information.

BTW, calling (besides me) half the members of this forum a "*****" or "idiot" will get you nowhere fast.
Most of us get along very well here.

Peace.

Last edited by AesonVirus; 01-12-2008 at 03:26 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gas Tank Capacity Question.