G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Walking away with key fob while engine is on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 11:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walking away with key fob while engine is on

Hey Guys,

I have a bad habit leaving the car in idle and walk away with the key fob in my pocket. Is that a good thing? Will the car shut off by itself? On one occasion, I was in a rush to get to the post office before they closed and I parked the car and ran into the post office w/o shutting it down. When I came back out, the engine was still running. I was probably like 150ft away from the car. My question is, does the car shut off after a certain distance? Also, what would happen if you're driving on the highway and someone throws the key fob out the window?

Old 01-29-2008, 11:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It won't shut off.

Why would you throw keyfob out of the car on the HWY?

It would say there is no key in the car I believe it would still go. I never tried to throw out my key when I was driving it.

tg

Old 01-29-2008, 11:38 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
You can go as far as you want from the car with the fob once it's running, just like leaving the keys in any other running car.
It'll never shut off just because the fob is missing - you (or a car thief) just won't be able to start it again if it's shut off or stalled.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:42 AM
helpful hint: you can still lock the car while its running when you can go inside the post office by the key fob button itself or the one on the door handle

Old 01-29-2008, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by CoppellStereo
helpful hint: you can still lock the car while its running when you can go inside the post office by the key fob button itself or the one on the door handle
I do this everyday when I stop to get the mail out of my group box down the street. Hop out, push the button and you're good to go. I don't think anyone would be able to hide there and get my car but it doesn't hurt to get in the habit. I've been curious to see what happens if I push the panic button with it running. Probably just sound the alarm, but I haven't checked it.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:45 PM
Nothing happens.
I left my car running in the driveway, and my brother got in, and slowly pulled away. I pressed every button on the key fob, but it did not shut the car down. The car doors unlocked/locked, but the car stayed on. I think that being able to shut the car down with a push of a button would be a large safety concern.
Just push the button on the door when you leave your car running, and then you're safe!

Old 01-29-2008, 02:04 PM
While the car is still running, don't push the "stop/start" button 3 times in the row or the car will shut down. It have tried to push the "stop/start" button while the car is moving. The engine still runs if you push it once or twice, but no more than that or the engine will cut off and the car would be still moving. Please don't try it.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the feedbacks. Greatly appreciate the info.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:41 PM
I think someone posted here that they forgot to turn the car off (!) and it was still running like 4 hours later or something.

But yeah, I love the fact that you can just lock it and walk away... helps when you go to the gas station or to get coffee and you don't wanna turn it off. Keeps the car nice and toasty (or cool) for when you get back.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:52 PM
My classic story on this topic...it was my first week with the car and I valet'd it at this nice restaurant. Went in, ate a great dinner, and on the way out of the restaurant I realized the keys were still in my pocket. I felt like an idiot. When I asked the valet how he locked the car, he said they didn't. Then I was pissed that they drove away with the big red light on and all the beeps...but knew it was my own fault as I watched the valet run away with my keys this time to get my ride.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:16 PM
I have another question, does the car automatically lock if you walk away with the keyfob on you since sometime I forget to lock the car (using the keyfob or touching the car handle)? I know...I know....I should read the booklet but maybe some of you all expert already on all the functions of the car.

thanks,

Old 01-29-2008, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by blueshirts0819
I have another question, does the car automatically lock if you walk away with the keyfob on you since sometime I forget to lock the car (using the keyfob or touching the car handle)? I know...I know....I should read the booklet but maybe some of you all expert already on all the functions of the car.

thanks,
No, definitely not. You still have to push a button to lock it.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also the great thing if you listen the stereo when the engine is running and you want to shut the car but you don't want to interrupt the music just push the start bottom twice quickly. The music will stay on and the engine will shut off.

tg

Old 01-30-2008, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by tg1234
Also the great thing if you listen the stereo when the engine is running and you want to shut the car but you don't want to interrupt the music just push the start bottom twice quickly. The music will stay on and the engine will shut off.

tg
That's good to know... thanks!

Old 01-30-2008, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by tg1234

tg
Did not know that. Thanks for the info. At first I thought it was just normal to turn it off then turn back on just to listen to the radio, like Chrylser Plymouth where the ignition order is Acc, Off, On and Start.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Walking away with key fob while engine is on