G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Performance wheel / tire pkg. Worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 12:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Go with the sports tires. The performance and safety of the sport tires are well worth it. The oem 17's are not very good tires. The G has alot of power that can be put to the ground and you will not be able to do that with the the stock 17's (unless you upgrade the tires). Remember, it's the tires that gives you the braking performace as much as the the brakes.

Depending on what you want out of your car, performance or luxury; the 17's do ride softer.

side note: I personally do not like the khumos, they are cheap and you will get what you pay for with these.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:46 PM
+ you don't "HAVE" to spend 1200 on a new tire set. you can get a whole new set of tires for 5-600 that will last 30+k and fit the 18"s

they look better, they handle better, you won't regret it.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:59 PM
true, I forgot to mention that. You don't have to go with the original tires when it wears out.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:08 PM
I put snow tires on my 18" for the winter.
I have my stock Potenza's in the shed, and i am planning on selling them for $700 or so, they only have 400 miles on them. I am going to get a tire that has better tread ware and cost 1/2 the amount.
Any body interested in a set of like new potenza's for the sport 18"s ?
$700 or best offer.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by onthebeam
To each his own. . . I love the sporty handling of the G35, too, but how many of us treat the car like we're on the track, with hard cornering, testing the limits constantly, etc. Regarding tire prices, it's not a so what proposition for me. If you change out the sport tires every 15,000 miles, when you hit 60k, you're at $5,200 or so just for tires! And you can bet with raw materials prices still surging, so will tire prices continue to rise.

Not sure what you mean about $250 for the difference in price. Lot's of good choices for $400-$500 a set for the stock 17's. You'll be starting around $1,200-$1,300 a set with the sport tires.

And, how many of us live in a part of the country where you can use sport tires year round? Very few indeed. So, many folks deciding to buy extra rims and winter tires like Blizzaks, or to pay for the tire swaps twice annually. Lot's of extra cash for that, too. The upside being that winter tires are great if needed. So, if money is truly no object and you have several thousand $$$ extra to invest, you can have great summer tire performance, and great winter tire performance, too. For me, all season touring tires, when chosen carefully, are excellent. I'd rather spend that several thousand on lots of other stuff!
Fortunately, OP and I live in Sunny California.

I don't know where you got $1200-1300 for a set of tires. Assuming stock tire sizes, the OEM Potenzas (depends on driving habits, but the rears lasted me 25k miles and the front will last me at least 30k miles) cost less than 800 on tirerack, and the Goodyear A/S (my next replacement...supposedly handle just as well, and last A LOT longer) cost even less.

So, taking into account the wear rate on MY tires and cost of replacement, I personally am a far cry from spending $5200 every 60k miles..

Old 02-12-2008, 02:25 PM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
Anyone try the Nankang? Looks like a bargain for a summer tire
About $330 for the 225/45/18~245/45/18 set
http://www.tires-easy.com/start.html
They seem to be well reviewed too

Old 02-12-2008, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by G35Now!
Your answer doesn't have to be the same.
My point exactly. Happy cruisin'!

Old 02-12-2008, 06:58 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
i wouldn't spend the extra 4 bills or whatever it costs for the performance wheels. i'd keep the stock 17s and eventually get rid of them for some new 19s! haha but that's just my opinion.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:24 PM
I agree that the 18's look great and would expect them to out perform the stock 17's in agressive driving on dry pavement. So if you really like the look or need the perfomance, then the additional $400 initial cost and higher (and more frequent) replacement cost may be well worth it. But IMHO, the stock wheels look good and perform well enough for most drivers. You should also keep in mind that there is less rubber (sidewall) between the wheel and the road on the 18's, so wheels may be more susceptable to damage from potholes, etc. Just one more factor to consider.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by onthebeam
And, how many of us live in a part of the country where you can use sport tires year round? Very few indeed. So, many folks deciding to buy extra rims and winter tires like Blizzaks, or to pay for the tire swaps twice annually. Lot's of extra cash for that, too. The upside being that winter tires are great if needed. So, if money is truly no object and you have several thousand $$$ extra to invest, you can have great summer tire performance, and great winter tire performance, too. For me, all season touring tires, when chosen carefully, are excellent. I'd rather spend that several thousand on lots of other stuff!
I have to respond to this. Especially the "Lot's of extra cash for that, too" part of the comment. My snow tires cost less than a complete set of RE050As. My rims cost me $300 bucks. Installed, I paid about $100 more than a replacement set of RE050As for snow tires. Most places give you free rotation if you have the tires installed/mounted from them. Swapping tires is considered a rotation. If not, it's a $20 charge for most places to do a rotation, coming out to $40/year.

Remember, when you're driving on your snow tires, you're not driving on your summer tires, effectively "doubling" their life. Snow tires last longer than the RE050as if you don't drive them too much warm weather, so in the long run it ends up being a wash, in some cases maybe cheaper if you get
a snow tire that goes longer.

One thing that people also forget, if you're in northern climates, all season tires are about as effective as summer tires under about 10 degrees fahrenheit. All season compound harden up significantly when it's cold.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by gottaGnow
I agree that the 18's look great and would expect them to out perform the stock 17's in agressive driving on dry pavement. So if you really like the look or need the perfomance, then the additional $400 initial cost and higher (and more frequent) replacement cost may be well worth it. But IMHO, the stock wheels look good and perform well enough for most drivers. You should also keep in mind that there is less rubber (sidewall) between the wheel and the road on the 18's, so wheels may be more susceptable to damage from potholes, etc. Just one more factor to consider.
Thank you so much for your info.

I didn't think about damage portion at all. Good to know, because Los Angeles area have tendency to get lots of potholes after the heavy rain. (Although I never have damaged rim because potholes. - Maybe because I am driving car with 14" wheel size which is civic.)

Well, I am now really cannot make my mind whether I get performance wheel / tire package.

Last edited by skfnxh; 02-13-2008 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:52 PM
many people in LA area driving around with 20"-26" rims not worrying about potholes. if you're that worried then drive more carefully.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by skfnxh
. . .Well, I am now really cannot make my mind whether I get performance wheel / tire package.
You know, it really probably doesn't make much difference: You'll be getting a great car either way. I'd advise geting it without the package. Later, if you get bitten by the mod bug, you'll have a way to go. Sure, it will cost more later, but you can keep your options open. You'll enjoy the car a lot, either way you equip it.

--Rich

Old 02-14-2008, 08:40 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Hmmm, until someone provides data that shows me some significant performance increases in handling and breaking on a journey with performance tire/wheel package compared to a journey without the package, I'd go without. I don't doubt there's improvement, I just wonder how much and if its really worth the cost.

And how do great tires on the 17"s compare with crap tires on the performance wheels?

Old 02-14-2008, 08:51 AM
u don't need data to figure it out, get in a G with the 18"s and do about 30 mph and do a quick lane change. then do it in a g with the 17" wheels.

the smaller rim has more side wall on the tire. the sidewall will flex and ull feel it.

ever look at an F1 tire/wheel setup? they have small side walls.

and with a drag car, they have small rims/big side walls because they want the side wall to rinkel when they come off the line.

bigger rims/smaller sidewall setups have MUCH more responsive steering, its functionality that looks good.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Performance wheel / tire pkg. Worth it?