G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

2007 G35S 6MT Transmission replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 G35S 6MT Transmission replacement

Hey guys, as I mentioned in the voluntary clutch recall thread, the dealership called me last week and said they'd like to replace my entire transmission given the issues I've been experiencing (inconsistency in how easy it is to push the lever into first or second, rough shifts, etc) even after I had the slave cylinder recall work done. I wanted to ask people on here though, what are the implications of having the entire transmission (including clutch) replaced with a brand new one at only 3000 miles? Should I be calling up Infiniti and asking why a new car needs a new transmission? Or should I be happy they're replacing it all.

In terms of service, Robert at Frontier Infiniti's been really nice about it (I'd recommend him to anyone in the San Jose area), he did the 045 ECU flash for me as well and has been keeping me up to date, but as it stands, I've had the car for just over a month and it's been at the dealership for a week waiting on the new transmission to come in. What are people's thoughts on this?

Last edited by Merlyn_3D; 02-19-2008 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:43 PM
Depending on your state, you may have applicable lemon laws that could get you out of the car in a zero-sum scenario.

Otoh, I think it speaks well of Infiniti that they're not giving you any trouble about the dealership wanting replace it.

On the other hand still, if you've had THAT much trouble, well, I know I'd be looking at the lemon law rules and seeing if they applied.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:50 PM
Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
In my honest opinion, who cares if the transmission was a lemon? If they spotted the problem and changed it for you then I'd be a happy camper because they took initiative to fix those problems.

Now if this problem persists then yes I would go to the next level, but if not just be happy.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:10 PM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Id have the entire transmission replaced if they are willing to do so.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good to know about Frontier (I usually hear back things about them). Brian at Peninsula Infiniti (Redwood City) wouldn't flash my ECU to 045 because they didn't notice any cold start problems.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by GoofyG28
Good to know about Frontier (I usually hear back things about them). Brian at Peninsula Infiniti (Redwood City) wouldn't flash my ECU to 045 because they didn't notice any cold start problems.
Yeah my experience thus far at frontier has been nice and pleasant. The first time I took my car in I asked about the ECU flash and he asked if I could get him a TSB number so he could narrow down what I was talking about. This time I call him up while my car was in there and left him a msg with the number, he called me back and said no problem. I haven't heard bad things about frontier's service even after asking on here which is why I decided to go to them.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D
Yeah my experience thus far at frontier has been nice and pleasant. The first time I took my car in I asked about the ECU flash and he asked if I could get him a TSB number so he could narrow down what I was talking about. This time I call him up while my car was in there and left him a msg with the number, he called me back and said no problem. I haven't heard bad things about frontier's service even after asking on here which is why I decided to go to them.
How long did it take you? Frontier is kinda far for me, but I wouldn't mind making a trip out there and wait in their showroom. An ECU flash shouldn't take more than 30 minutes.

About your transmission: I'm surprised they are even willing to consider that route. They're basically asking for more work. Kudos to them for not ignoring the issue. Maybe you just got unlucky and have a poor transmission. At least they're willing to replace it. See how things go after, then decide on the lemon law.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:56 PM
Get it done! At least you don't have to convince them with a lawyer that your tranny is fubar... Good luck

Old 02-26-2008, 01:13 AM
Well...I got my car back last thursday, and all I can say is wow. The feel of the transmission is much better with no whine in 2, 3, or 4 like before. They replaced the clutch with a brand new one as well and it feels like a dream. It's very grabby, and the engagement point is far better than what it was. Overall it's much easier to drive the car smoothly now, no more stalling! Take note, there are a few people on here who mention whiny transmissions etc with the G35 6MT, well your transmission is not supposed to whine. You're also supposed to be able to drive the car smoothly. If it does or if you can't, have a tech drive it with you in the car and see if he struggles with how hard it is to drive. Mine did and said he definitely wanted to take a look at the tranny.

On a side note, the service at Frontier Infiniti was pretty good too, in case anyone in the bay area wants to know. Robert was the service guy I interfaced with (if you have a similar problem and want to speak to him)....it was pleasant, and communication was always pretty good. They asked if they could keep the car an extra day so they could drive it cold and just make sure everything worked like it was supposed to.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:09 AM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D
Well...I got my car back last thursday, and all I can say is wow. The feel of the transmission is much better with no whine in 2, 3, or 4 like before. They replaced the clutch with a brand new one as well and it feels like a dream. It's very grabby, and the engagement point is far better than what it was. Overall it's much easier to drive the car smoothly now, no more stalling! Take note, there are a few people on here who mention whiny transmissions etc with the G35 6MT, well your transmission is not supposed to whine. You're also supposed to be able to drive the car smoothly. If it does or if you can't, have a tech drive it with you in the car and see if he struggles with how hard it is to drive. Mine did and said he definitely wanted to take a look at the tranny.

On a side note, the service at Frontier Infiniti was pretty good too, in case anyone in the bay area wants to know. Robert was the service guy I interfaced with (if you have a similar problem and want to speak to him)....it was pleasant, and communication was always pretty good. They asked if they could keep the car an extra day so they could drive it cold and just make sure everything worked like it was supposed to.
Im glad they fixed your issues bro. This is an amazing car and you should be enjoying it at 100%.