G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Is the 5AT good enough to forego a manual?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 12:56 PM
RCK
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wrestled with the 6 MT/5AT dilemma when shopping for my G last summer. My wife and I each test drove both transmissions a number of times. We are both life long manual tranny drivers since our teens, now in our 50s. Despite the clutch's high engagement point, we chose the 6MT for all the reasons cited in earlier posts: gas mileage; control; style.

My only complaint sare the dinky, awkward center console in the 6MT, on which you cannot rest your arm as with the AT model, and the fact that when the stick is in 5th gear you can't get to the ashtray--yeah we both smoke.

Major factors against the 5AT is that there is no 6th gear, so rpms are higher at high speeds, which effects gas mileage. There is also a slight delay in shifts with the AT, not as noticeable as with other sport automatics but it's there.

To those in cities who find the manuals a chore, then get a an automatic.

For me I like the stick in traffic, it keeps you alert and allows quick speed changes to get around less attentive drivers. I'd go even farther and say that in moderate to light city traffic the stick is a real advantage.

Finally, with the slave cylinder recall the clutch is now smoother with a wider sweet spot. So the earlier clutch problems are fully resolved on the 07 and don't exist on the 08.

To get all you can out of the G35S get the 6MT.

But if you aren't really an assertive, spirited, or lively driver but think it's cool to have sport model, get the 5AT.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jsmonet
how would going 6mt have saved you money in any big way? it only comes in one of the most expensive trims, and loaded journey sport vs. loaded g35s is about a thousand dollars' difference...if that. heck, i've seen plenty of journey sports walk off the lot for less than 6mt g35s's.

heh, i think that seals the deal for a lot of people leaning toward auto.

personally, i just was not impressed one bit with the 5at. being a manual fanboy that I am, impressing me was probably impossible

the gt-r's gearbox is a sequential gearbox. it's not an auto. there is no viscous-based torque converter. it has a dual-clutch setup mated to a relatively normal gearbox. the big difference in this is that instead of a clutch pedal and a little rowing gear to your right, you have paddles and a computer doing the clutching and rowing for you. it can be very auto-esque if you elect to let it (deciding for itself what gears to use). mechanically, it's just a manual trans being told what to do by a computer /over-simplification of the control system
I don't remember using the term "big way" when mentioning the monetary benefits of buying a 6mt over a 5at...but I think it is no secret that a standard transmission costs less than an automatic transmission. Correct me if I'm wrong. Sure there might be a small difference in savings, but like I said I don't remember saying, "You'll save a million dollars by going manual!"

Old 05-08-2008, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by jsmonet
yeah... that's probably the most annoying misconception i've been dealing with as well. I'm 30, married, looking to have kids in the not-distant future, and prefer manual. my wife can't drive my car but so what? I wasn't going to drop nearly 40 large to settle for something less enjoyable. the 6mt isn't perfect by any means, but it is a fair sight more enjoyable to drive than the auto.
how is it a misconception when you are part of 10% of G sedan drivers that buy manual transmissions. Numbers don't lie, and just because you and a handful of other car enthusiasts on the forum own a 6mt doesn't change the statistics buddy. The average G driver is 40yrs old and 90% of G's are automatics...if that's a misconception I don't know what isn't. Not every 30+ yr old thinks like you guys who think manual is the only way to go. In my opinion, most 30+ yr olds drive automatics from what I remember, so uhh sorry, no misconception here.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:51 PM
pretty sure the 6mt's are more cash than the 5at's no? at least they were back in 05...

Old 05-08-2008, 06:11 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RCK
To get all you can out of the G35S get the 6MT.

But if you aren't really an assertive, spirited, or lively driver but think it's cool to have sport model, get the 5AT.
I love statements like this...let's make it accurate:
  • For 99% of the drivers of G35s, including 99% of those on this forum, the 5AT is every bit as fast (track, or even probably straight line) as the 6MT
  • For the 1% who are actually CAPABLE of getting 100% of the performance out of the G, the 6MT is likely a bit faster

BTW, I belong in the 99% category, but during a track day I raped a couple of 6MT drivers. Maybe MY 5AT is just a freak...

I could be persuaded that maybe 2% of the forum members can get to 100%, because let's face it, we're enthusiasts

Old 05-08-2008, 08:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ugaexploder
how is it a misconception when you are part of 10% of G sedan drivers that buy manual transmissions. Numbers don't lie, and just because you and a handful of other car enthusiasts on the forum own a 6mt doesn't change the statistics buddy. The average G driver is 40yrs old and 90% of G's are automatics...if that's a misconception I don't know what isn't. Not every 30+ yr old thinks like you guys who think manual is the only way to go. In my opinion, most 30+ yr olds drive automatics from what I remember, so uhh sorry, no misconception here.

there you go being stupid again. stats stats whatever. just because the bulk of G's are BUILT auto, doesn't mean folks who prefer manual are somehow immature. it's ok, though. you're so wound up in your misconception that you can't even begin to imagine you're wrong.

also, you can buy a base auto G for way less than the g35s. for most of you, the extra improvements available on the 6mt are worthless, as you'll spend most of your time babying your cars to and from the market, i suppose...or whatever "mature" people do in their cars....because apparently those of us not buying into the largely USA-based love affair with autos are just kids.

back on topic: no, the auto isn't all that satisfying to drive. what it really comes down to, though, is YOUR impression. drive both. I did and HATED the auto. you may have a different experience. I drove a journey sport before my 6mt, so they were pretty much the same as far as everything else would be concerned.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:07 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
This thread is going downhill fast, and the OP's original question has been answered. Closed.