G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Why the hell are my windows rolled down?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 12:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why the hell are my windows rolled down?

Ok guys, this is a strange but true one. Today I came home from some random errands, parked my G in the garage and closed it. A couple of hours later I went to put something in the garage, and noticed that the windows were rolled down. The two front windows were about halfway down, and the two rear windows were about a quarter of the way down. This is completely freaking me out for the following reasons:

1. I didn't roll them down - I explicitly remember NOT having any windows or the roof open, since it was starting to rain on my way back.

2. They are rolled down equally on each side. That is, the front ones are rolled down the same distance, as are the rear ones.

3. As far as I know, NO ONE else could have done this. My wife was gone with her key, and mine was on the other side of the house on my desk.

Has anyone heard of this happening? Could it be some sort of malfunction, or is my garage haunted?

Old 05-12-2008, 12:18 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
not sure about the newer G's, but it's a possibility that you sat on your Key fob while it was in your pocket, triggering the remote window down.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:18 AM
there is a function on our cars when you hold down the unlock button on the keyless transmitter for a few seconds it rolls down the front and rear windows. you probably held down on that button somehow maybe while it was in your pocket.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:39 AM
Read your manual. You must have sat on your fob. My car drives itself to the car wash when it is dirty

Old 05-12-2008, 01:57 AM
yea accidently held button down too long

Old 05-12-2008, 02:15 AM
Thanks guys - as usual, I am an idiot.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:20 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
This just happened to me.
I never roll all 4 windows down, but, I was in the car yesterday and parked it in the back yard. Tonight I decided to go for a ride and went back there and all 4 windows were down since yesterday and I tell you it pi$$ed down rain last night. I removed the mats and dried up as much as I could inside the car. I must have bumped my I-Key against something after I parked it yesterday.
Anyways I was not happy when I discovered this. Now I would like to leave them open to air the car out but they are calling for rain all day tomorrow.

Something to watch out for

Old 06-16-2008, 10:22 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Allow me to hijack since OP's question is answered.

Is there anyway to increase the range for the remote? It unlocks and locks well from distance, but I find myself being right next to the car to get the windows to go down with the remote, I might as well just get in by then. At best, they will roll down a few inches then lose signal and stop. Its a great feature, but needs to work from further away.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:00 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
+1
lock and unlock have an awesome range.
The window down range sucks... Unless I'm sitting on my fob, that is!

Old 06-17-2008, 11:19 PM
usually alarm for me

When I've the my key fob accidentally pressed while in my pocket, it's always been the alarm going off from pressing on the panic button and never the unlock/windows down. At least with the alarm/horn I know it's been pressed accidentally.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:01 AM
He may not have pressed all the buttons on the remote to cause this. I have read about this happening on a G37.

If your battery is low it can cause the windows to roll down halfway and then the windows need to be reprogrammed by resetting the auto up/down feature.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:27 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AesonVirus
+1
lock and unlock have an awesome range.
The window down range sucks... Unless I'm sitting on my fob, that is!
maybe it varies slightly from one G to another G, my unlock range is not bad, and my window range is the same as the unlock range. So I can rool down my windows and have them all the way down before I even get to the car.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:51 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by mt7rabbit
maybe it varies slightly from one G to another G, my unlock range is not bad, and my window range is the same as the unlock range. So I can rool down my windows and have them all the way down before I even get to the car.
Maybe...
I figured that the unlock only needs a quick signal while the roll down feature needs a longer timed signal and maybe with the long distance, the longer signal gets broken up and never makes it in one piece to the car.
All I know is that I can lock or unlock at great distances, while the roll down feature, I may as well be touching the car to get it to work.

I sometimes park my car on top of the garage at work and I can see it from my office window. It's a pretty far distance, 200 feet maybe. Some guy was walking the garage and I saw him approach my car and look in the driver's window. As his hand touched the window to block out the sunlight, I hit the lock button triggering the horn honk.... he jumped back and almost crapped himself. It was worth a laugh.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:50 PM
For whatever reason you can get up to 20% more range if you open your mouth and point the fob at the back of your throat when you use it. Sometimes you just have to point it at your chin. (Yeah, I know it's not cool.)

Before you flame me try it. Get a to a point where you are just out of range face your car and give it a click. Then keep backing up until it doesn't work anymore.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by Grav
For whatever reason you can get up to 20% more range if you open your mouth and point the fob at the back of your throat when you use it. Sometimes you just have to point it at your chin. (Yeah, I know it's not cool.)

Before you flame me try it. Get a to a point where you are just out of range face your car and give it a click. Then keep backing up until it doesn't work anymore.
I've heard truth to this too. I think it has to do with the fillings in your mouth. Not what I know, just what I've heard. I catch myself putting my keys to my cheek everyonce in a while if I feel I'm too far away to lock my car....no idea if its really working or not.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why the hell are my windows rolled down?