G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

2008 Sedan 6MT concern

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 01:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had my 'O8 G35 6MT for 7 months now. I've been driving manual transmissions for 20 years and I have to say that the clutch is a little tricky. When I first got the car I actually "bonked out" at a few stop lights (so embarrassing!!!!) Once you get use to it you'll be fine.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:23 AM
the 6mt is great... but the AT is not so bad either with the paddle shifters... it depends like someone said above... if you want to cruise with it go AT all the way, i personally chose manual because it's a lot funner during the day to drive manual... i think i would fall asleep driving a AT

Old 08-27-2008, 07:19 PM
Hi All,

I have a similar problem, but I have an 07 coupe 6mt. I would go to the coupe forum but this is exactly what I experience with my clutch. The take up is inconsistent, sometimes it takes up in the middle and other times it's right near the top of the clutch throw, making for difficult driving. I have 16,000 miles but it's been pretty much like this since new, also with some clutch chatter. Do you think the same problem of the clutch sleeve is causing my problems? Does the recall cover my coupe too?

Thanks,
James

Originally Posted by 808MIKE
I have an 07 6MT. And have had no Problems whatsoever! there was a Clutch Recall, that replaced a defective clutch Sleeve. And after that change, the Pick-up point is alot more forgiving, and not as abrupt! And I have had no So called "Squeaking" of the clutch pedal! Although I only have about 5300mi on mine. It's been problem free!

Old 08-27-2008, 07:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had my 08 MT for a few weeks now, no problems at all. Like some others, driving automatics for quite some time it took a bit to get used to it. No regrets on choosing the MT (even though there were some good deals on 2007 AT's, but don't tell my wife that).

Old 08-27-2008, 08:15 PM
i just bought a BO G35s 6MT. I love it. Once you learn how to shift, it definitely feels fun. But I only have 270 miles on it so far so i haven't really pushed that baby yet... okay maybe alittle bit lol if you love driving manuals and need one...this is the car for you..

But one thing I haven't tested is the high revving part obviously because I am still breaking in. My other car is 200sx se-r and that car is also really fun to drive when revved high so I hope I get similar satisfaction with this one but with alot more torque.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:12 PM
I own a 07 6mt that i bought with 10k on it. The recall was done prior to my purchase. No problems at all. The clutch engagement point is not as forgiving as other manuals but hey...its a made for performance. If your the type of person that like manuals then buy the 6mt! You wont regret it. I drove the paddle auto and its no where near as fun. If your leasing then no worries...you'll return the car within the warranty period anyway.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
This is the only car I've ever owned where the manual car is not faster than the automatic. I had the slave cylinder fail and now the car needs a new transmission. Sometimes I wish I sprung the extra cash for the 335i.

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...nsmission.html

Old 10-07-2008, 09:47 AM
I currently have a 06 350Z 6MT, I was dead set on a G35S 6MT going into the dealership yesterday. They didn't have any on the lot so I asked to drive a 5AT.

WOW I was impressed!! Shifting was very quick and smooth, and paddles seemed responsive enough for me. This is my first car I've ever driving with paddle shifters. But anyways, that whole thing changed my mind about whether or not to get the 6MT. My nissan 6MT for example is loud and whiny, makes a thud noise when I press the clutch at low speeds, and occasionally grinds. I thought I could compare the new G35's 6MT to mine but since I didn't have the chance, I'm strongly going towards the AT. I know that the 7AT is coming out, but I'd rather get a deal on the 08's. Plus I don't like the fact that the 09's initial numbers have it 200lbs heavier.

What I can't believe is that I asked for a BO Journey+Sport Pkg,Nav,Premium, and the dealer said there is NONE in southern california.. Yet there are 2 6MT's w/ my options and color. I find that very hard to believe.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:00 AM
What's most important is that you like the way the car/tranny drives and feels. It really doesn't matter what some magazine editor thinks about it as long as you like it.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:30 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
'08 G35S 6MT here.....

The tranny itself is quite good, nice smooth synchros & follows nicely gear to gear.
The clutch definitely takes a little getting used to.
The engagement is quite high & takeup is very switch like (quick) with little transition.
It does have good feel though.

I'm planning to do the pedal stop DIY to eliminate some of the excess travel, it should be quite good overall after that.

FWIW... As a comparison, I'm coming from a very good 6MT in a Z4 ///M
so this is a topic I was very concerned about.
In a nut shell, I'm VERY happy with my decision to go with the 6MT.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:30 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
07 6mt,
had sticks all my life, the gear box is very nice, smooth, easy to find gears, one of the best i have owned.

the clutch is a weird one, took me about 5k miles to get use to it. first 4k was before the recall i had the "creak" problem from about 1200 to 6000, little white grease and solved the problem, i just rolled over 20k and still no creak.
each car is different, you just have to learn it. if u know how to drive a clutch the correct way you won't have a problem. just adjust ur old habits and after a few miles its second nature again and u don't think about it.

i would but it again knowing what i know now

Old 10-08-2008, 11:48 AM
08 G35S 6MT here. Very short friction point which takes getting used to, but the shifter itself is very smooth with well defined and easy to find gates.

I could search, but while i'm here I will ask...Do our cars have a hill-hold assist feature?

Old 10-08-2008, 12:15 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by LOW2000
08 G35S 6MT here. Very short friction point which takes getting used to, but the shifter itself is very smooth with well defined and easy to find gates.

I could search, but while i'm here I will ask...Do our cars have a hill-hold assist feature?
No...
I had that on my Z4M, it was a nice feature.
But, OS method with the handbrake is no biggie.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:33 PM
I had the car for about the last 2 months. The clutch takes getting used to, and I have been driving stick for the last 18 years. I surprised myself stalling a few times a day for the first few days. Like anything, I am very used to it now, and love it.

Performed well enough where I could easily do moves like this one...

Old 10-09-2008, 05:13 AM
08 6mt sedan - 3500 miles in 7 weeks

driven a ton of different mt cars prior to this.. tho all non-nissan/inf. and the clutch on this threw me for a loop. as most would agree, very little feel for engage/diseng as well as it being high up on the travel and very short on the engage/diseng distance.. even now, i still have trouble getting into 1st smoothly (esp on hills) w/o over rev'n the engine.. but i also am using this as a weekend car so i don't have as much actual daily seat time.

that said, i still have no regrets (even in la/oc traffic).. as opposed to the at..

my shifts will probably never be as quick nor be as smooth as paddles ... but pressing on the clutch and being able to move the shifter through the gates.. its a very satisfying feeling for me. stalled the car.. quite a few times.. look like an idiot doing it.. prolly.. but its ok.. i love my car. : )

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2008 Sedan 6MT concern