G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Do the mirrors tilt ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 11:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used the folding mirrors on my 330i when parked so nobody would hit them walking by and when going through a car wash. I guess if you've never had them they wouldn't be missed but it's a handy feature. My 07 Tahoe has folding and tilt mirrors (not to mention rain sensing wipers but that's another topic all together) so it's not just a European thing.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:38 AM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by AesonVirus
I would NEVER park my G into a spot that was so tight that it required me to fold in my mirrors.
It's a useless option.

As for tilting, our Acura MDX has tilting mirrors and they're fantastic for parking near curbs, or just to watch how close you are getting your wheels to obstacles while backing up.
+100000000000000000000000000000000000

Old 08-01-2008, 10:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by G35Now!
A while back someone posted a good point on tilting mirrors: When you back up, use the **** to tilt the right mirror down, and park. When you get back in, it'll move back up to memory position.

For the once every two months I need to see an outside curb, works great
What, but that would require being unlazy

If you need folding mirrors to get in somewhere, how are you going to get out of the car? The sunroof?

Old 08-01-2008, 11:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Glockz
I used the folding mirrors on my 330i when parked so nobody would hit them walking by and when going through a car wash. I guess if you've never had them they wouldn't be missed but it's a handy feature. My 07 Tahoe has folding and tilt mirrors (not to mention rain sensing wipers but that's another topic all together) so it's not just a European thing.
it's seem like a european thing when it comes to having folding mirrors on cars...because to my recollection what car has folding mirrors that's not european? and no i'm not talking about suv's...because it makes sense on big trucks and suvs to have them

Old 08-01-2008, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by ugaexploder
it's seem like a european thing when it comes to having folding mirrors on cars...because to my recollection what car has folding mirrors that's not european? and no i'm not talking about suv's...because it makes sense on big trucks and suvs to have them
It's definitely a more prevalent with European brands probably but I've seen this feature on the Nissan Maxima and Cadillac STS but can't really think of any others. Regardless, it's a nice feature and if the G35 is aiming at 3-series it would be nice if it offered the same features. The flip side is not having features like this is why the G is cheaper than the 3-series and IS.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:54 PM
It's definitely a more prevalent with European brands probably but I've seen this feature on the Nissan Maxima and Cadillac STS but can't really think of any others. Regardless, it's a nice feature and if the G35 is aiming at 3-series it would be nice if it offered the same features. The flip side is not having features like this is why the G is cheaper than the 3-series and IS.
But I like the G35 being cheaper than both or else I couldn't have afforded it

Old 08-02-2008, 10:22 PM
I was under the impression that power folding mirrors exist as protection from donkeys who walk by your car in the parking lot and bang into your mirrors because they're too fat to get by even when they turn sideways. It doesn't make sense if they were for squeezing into tight spaces. As others have said, if you have to fold your mirrors to get into a space, how the hell do you plan on opening your door?

Old 08-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Actually, the 08 Maximas have this option. The mirrors fold in and tilt when in reverse. I just bought a 08 Maxima so Nissan does have this option.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:18 PM
I've had it on my last three cars...but it was not a factory standard option at the time. Of course, after I had purchased the models the next year it was added by the factory...so I updated it later.

Everytime it was simpy a program option through the OBD port that cost me an average of $50 to have programmed. Volvo did it for free, Jeep charged me for my SRT8, Saab was around $60 I think.

In LA it's a very important option...wierd sized curbs every where...and while I don't hit curbs, valets do. So it helps them too.

Hopefully the 08's with the passeneger side power down when in reverse option will be an software upgrade as well and not require a new module or something.

On my 06 S60r, I ordered the parts from EU and had the dealer install to have the mirrors fold in. On my 07 SRT8, it was not an option until 08...so I was planning on doing it until I got the G.

I don't mind pushing them in manually when i do park on the street, but the power folding option was nice.

Last edited by ParkStr8; 08-03-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:34 PM
As far as folding mirrors, they are useful for people living on busy streets with high traffic flow who must park their cars outside and don't want someone getting too close and taking out a side mirror. Somewhat common in San Francisco especially on streets like 19th Ave or many downtown streets.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:29 AM
I think the tilting mirror comes in handy...Ive never had folding mirrors or tilting so i dont miss it..But my managers TL has tilting mirrors and its nice.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:14 AM
Why not just set the memory 2 for tilting down the mirror. So when you stop you hit memory 2 it tilts down you park your car.

tg

Old 10-05-2008, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by kool-aid
my passat mirrors would fold in when i turned the switch all the way up, it was handy in tight squeezes
Say Whut?

If a parking spot is so tight you need to fold the mirrors, how do you get in/out of the car? Sunroof? Crawl thru to the trunk?

Tilt on reverse feature I can understand. The rear camera can't wrap it's lens around the side of the car. But the electric electric fold feature is lost on me. Perhaps it's the European equivalent to US market insistence on cupholders.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:53 AM
Hey, the Bimmer offers the i-drive "feature". I wouldn't recommend Infiniti ape that particular piece of umm.....technology. Rather, I wonder why BMW isn't looking at the G35 content and doing more to keep up. They live on marketing hype.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:18 AM
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
You can always get curb feelers! For those of you who don't know what they are, its a spring loaded rod that clamps at a low spot on the fenders and sticks out of the side about 6" to 8", so it makes noise when it hits the curb warning you that your too close. (Just joking, I have not seen any of them since the 1960's)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Do the mirrors tilt ?