G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

G35 headliner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question G35 headliner

I recently purchased a 2008 G35 sedan. As I was driving it home I noticed a noise coming from the headliner right above my head. It's a crinkly noise that sounds like static, and I hear it as I drive over any imperfection in the road. I can also push on the headliner and create this noise, but only above my head, right where the sunshade is. I don't get this response when I push on the headliner on other parts of the headliner.

Some might think that I should just get used to the idea that cars make noise, but I spent nearly $40k on my car and, in my opinion, the headliner should not make noise. My 12-year old Honda didn't have this problem.

The obvious solution is to take it to the dealer, but I'd like to see if (1) anyone else has had this problem, and (2) what the possible fixes might be.

Any advice or help would be very much appreciated.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:03 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
I haven't had that issue.

Are you sure it's not a loose moonroof gasket (trim piece) making that noise?
That's a known issue and a quick/easy fix.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't know about the nature of the 08s but my 07 sedan has a few recurring rattles. One is from the passenger seat belt receptacle. I rotate it down so that it's wedged between seat and the center console and it stops rattling. The second is from the sun visor. Occasionally if the visor extender isn't pushed all the way in it'll rattle. Also, if I have something light in the cup holder, like an empty water bottle, it may cause a rattle. You may want to experiment with those locations and see if it helps.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by djwishuwur
I don't know about the nature of the 08s but my 07 sedan has a few recurring rattles. One is from the passenger seat belt receptacle. I rotate it down so that it's wedged between seat and the center console and it stops rattling. The second is from the sun visor. Occasionally if the visor extender isn't pushed all the way in it'll rattle. Also, if I have something light in the cup holder, like an empty water bottle, it may cause a rattle. You may want to experiment with those locations and see if it helps.
Talking about a different car is always helpful... Especially when any of your issues have absolutely nothing to do with the headliner.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by marcusjb
I recently purchased a 2008 G35 sedan. As I was driving it home I noticed a noise coming from the headliner right above my head. It's a crinkly noise that sounds like static, and I hear it as I drive over any imperfection in the road. I can also push on the headliner and create this noise, but only above my head, right where the sunshade is. I don't get this response when I push on the headliner on other parts of the headliner.

Some might think that I should just get used to the idea that cars make noise, but I spent nearly $40k on my car and, in my opinion, the headliner should not make noise. My 12-year old Honda didn't have this problem.

The obvious solution is to take it to the dealer, but I'd like to see if (1) anyone else has had this problem, and (2) what the possible fixes might be.

Any advice or help would be very much appreciated.
I beleive a $40K car shoudl be farily quiet, but after driving several Acura TLs the last few years, clear Acura does not agree. Not sure how noisy a G is or gets, but Honda can't assemble a decent interior.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:35 PM
I consider the 07's and 08's the same car, and i believe he was pointing out that maybe the rattle was coming from another part of the car.

On that note, I have a noisy headliner too, but mine is more in the rear.

The last time it was in, it was the sunroof. This time something else because it's furhter back.

Worse case scenario if the dealer cant find it, i'll take it to my interior guy and have the entire car done in dynamat - which means he'll remove the headliner and then we'll go for a drive to locate it.

Sometimes, depending on the dealer, it's easier to fix it yourself. Altho not always convenient.

-s-

Old 09-02-2008, 10:00 PM
i have a similiar issue with the headliner. when the sunshade is open to the moonroof yet the glass is closed i will get a rattle/tapping noise.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:13 PM
G35 headliner rattle

I am a bit dismayed to learn that other G35 owners have issues with a rattling headliner.

I am not at all a car guy. From what little I know, my understanding is that the cloth portion of a headliner is attached to foam, and the foam is adhered to the roof. The noise I'm hearing sounds almost like the cloth has somehow detached itself from the foam, so each moves independently as the car moves over imperfections on the road surface. If I'm wrong, please educate me.

What is entailed in removing a headliner?

I suppose my next move is to call the dealer and schedule an appointment, though doing so seems absurd on a car that is barely 2 months old with less than 1000 miles on it.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:19 PM
I'll also inspect the moonroof gasket, though I'm positive that the noise originates from the area right above the driver's side sunshade. Thanks for the thought.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah, I have that static kind of noise coming from the dash and other places too. In my initial months i complained that i spent 40K on the car and my honda never made that noise, but guys, Something's gotta give. I recently travelled to Niagra fall from Virginia through the very beautiful pennsylvania. The amount of fun i had DRIVING the G, my honda could never give me that

Old 09-03-2008, 06:57 PM
I not prepared to live with an annoying flaw in a car that is so new. Maybe I'd be more willing to accept it after 10 years and 100,000 miles. But on a brand-new near-luxury car? I don't think so. I will take it to the dealer and keep eveyone posted.