G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Popularity of 6MT sedans?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 05:08 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gstais
Joe_Camel,

I don't think your generalization about G owners with the 5 or 7-Speed automatic is justified. I challenge you to drive for just a week in the SF Bay area, and then decide whether you still want a manual.

Traffic congestion here really sucks and is pretty much 24/7!. I may be older than most of you guys, but I would have gotten a stick over the auto if I lived somewhere where I wouldn't be spending my daily commute stuck in traffic pretty much all of the time.

And yes, I could have bought a Bimmer, but why? The G is as good (or better) for a lot less money, in my view.

P.S. - if you live in the Bay Area, you're a better man than me!

Regards,
I drive in so-cal traffic with an ultra light flywheel, heavy duty pressure plate, and an VERY grabby clutch disk

On the other hand, with the new 7AT, I have no reason to consider a 6MT. I definately would have taken a 6MT over the old 5AT though.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bfranks
Mine was the only one on the lot when I went looking. Oddly enough, it was set up exactly the way I wanted it. Seems it was meant to be . Plus they were real willing to deal on the price.
+1, same story here.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:02 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
When I bought mine in 05', there were NONE on the lot and NONE within a 5 state area that the dealer would let go. (total 2). So, I had to order mine. I was told that there are only one MT car to every 5000 AT cars built by Infiniti.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:45 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
For sedans, I'd say its pretty close to 1000:1

Old 12-23-2008, 07:58 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Commuting with a manual is not that bad. You really do get used to it. For 2 years i commuted in Boston traffic for an hour in the AM and an hour in the PM. It was literal bumper to bumper traffic......Clutch in, move car 3 feet, clutch out.....

Only reason I have an automatic is because I wanted an AWD and they don't come with a manual. If they did, i'd be all over that. But i wanted some peace of mind this winter.

Yes, i know RWD with snow tires is plenty capable, but for 11 years i've driven RWD with snow tires in the winter. I seriously debated a 6MT and doing the "snow tire thing" again, but i'm glad i got the AWD. I couldn't get this car stuck if i tried (and i have).

If they ever make a G37x 6-spd...i'd be first in line to buy.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, let's just thank those enthusiasts who purchased a 6MT. Outside of enthusiast forums like this one, it is quite the rarity. If you don't want a MT now, you might in the future and in ten years time it could be hard to find. You have to admit, the ATs are getting really good, and car companies are moving steadily in the direction of the auto-MT as their manual transmission option. For my DD with awd, i obviously have an AT but I like the option one day of purchasing a MT. Thanks 6MT folks for sending Nissan the message to not give up on the MT.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:13 AM
If they would but an MT in the X, I would buy that so fast....

Old 12-23-2008, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by Mike@RiversideInfiniti
I drive in so-cal traffic with an ultra light flywheel, heavy duty pressure plate, and an VERY grabby clutch disk

On the other hand, with the new 7AT, I have no reason to consider a 6MT. I definately would have taken a 6MT over the old 5AT though.
Mike,

Thanks for you objective viewpoint. However, I am curious about your comments. Are there issues with the 5-Speed Auto where you would opt for the 6-Speed manual? Is the 7-Speed Auto significantly better than the 5-Speed?

I can honestly say that I find the 5-Speed to be quite satisfying, especially in Sport Mode. However, for whatever it's worth, I was somewhat upset when Infiniti announced the engine and transmission upgrades for '09. But for now, my 2007 G remains a pretty awesome car. I guess I will be keeping it for a while.

Regards,

Old 12-23-2008, 12:21 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 07G35S6MTTech
I live in the Bay Area, drive a 6MT and commute 70 miles round trip each day. Actually, I've been commuting 60-100 miles a day in a MT car for the past nine years. Does that make me a better man for driving a 6MT? No.
Are there days where I wish I had a 5AT or 7AT instead? No, but then again I just prefer a MT over an AT.

That said, I can totally understand why most people would prefer an AT over MT. It just comes down to personal preference, what you feel most comfortable with and not having to deal with the hassle in bumper to bumper traffic.

Let's not turn this into a MT vs AT flame war. We should all enjoy the fact that we drive Gs.
Well said. I drove 30 miles each way in the infamous 405 freeway 7:00 am traffic for 7 months strait with my 04 6MT. I loved having the 6MT and that is the reason im getting rid of the BMW. As great of a car it is lack of 6MT makes it boring and not enjoyable to drive. I won't go back to a transmition without a clutch pedal no matter how good or sophisticated it is. It can be 10 speed dual clutch DSG tranny i'll still drive a proper manual box for at least 10 years.

The bottom line is that everyone has a personal choice and that is why they have MT and AT.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
If they would but an MT in the X, I would buy that so fast....
Get an Evo X. Faster, better looking, better AWD system, WAY cheaper to make more power in, just as much interior room (although a lot less trunk room).

And there aren't 1000 cars that look just like yours all over the mall parking lot.

Just saying

Old 12-23-2008, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by 07G35S6MTTech
I live in the Bay Area, drive a 6MT and commute 70 miles round trip each day. Actually, I've been commuting 60-100 miles a day in a MT car for the past nine years. Does that make me a better man for driving a 6MT? No.
Are there days where I wish I had a 5AT or 7AT instead? No, but then again I just prefer a MT over an AT.

That said, I can totally understand why most people would prefer an AT over MT. It just comes down to personal preference, what you feel most comfortable with and not having to deal with the hassle in bumper to bumper traffic.

Let's not turn this into a MT vs AT flame war. We should all enjoy the fact that we drive Gs.
07G35S6MTTech,

You are absolutely correct - it IS personal preference. No is one trying to start a 'flame war' here. I am just expressing my view which is what I thought this forum is all about.

And yes, I agree we should all "enjoy the fact that we drive G's"

Regards,

Old 12-23-2008, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by goofygrin
Get an Evo X. Faster, better looking, better AWD system, WAY cheaper to make more power in, just as much interior room (although a lot less trunk room).

And there aren't 1000 cars that look just like yours all over the mall parking lot.

Just saying
I can count the number of G's in Corpus Christi on two hands and have fingers left over.

And they are not that much cheaper, but they "feel" cheap.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by gstais
07G35S6MTTech,

You are absolutely correct - it IS personal preference. No is one trying to start a 'flame war' here. I am just expressing my view which is what I thought this forum is all about.

And yes, I agree we should all "enjoy the fact that we drive G's"

Regards,
gstais,

I respect your views and I apologize if it sounded like I was accusing you of starting a flame war. That was not my intent. It was more of a general statement as I've seen way too many threads turn into an AT vs MT
argument.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
I can count the number of G's in Corpus Christi on two hands and have fingers left over.

And they are not that much cheaper, but they "feel" cheap.
Actually my Evo X was (slightly) more expensive than my wifes G35S 6MT. However, adding power to it is significantly cheaper. With a $6-700 tune on the EvoX you're up 70+hp. $6-700 on the G35 gets you maybe 10hp?

Don't get me wrong, there are definite fit and finish differences between the two... but there are some cheap things on the G35 (like the center heads up display console is super crappy looking compared to the one in the Evo X). The main difference is the dealerships and warranty. Mitsu dealerships are not nice (typically), the warranty is shorter, and there's no "perks" that you get with Infiniti.

However, from a driving perspective, I'll take my Evo X any day over the wife's G35S 6MT (or her 03 G35 Coupe 6MT). Boost is definitely a drug

Old 12-25-2008, 09:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wanted to buy the 6spd MT but my wife wouldn't let me as she doesn't know how to or want to learn how to drive stick shift. So ended up getting the G35X Sport and use the paddle shift almost exclusively....

The sound of a beautifully executed double clutch is music to my ears or that instantaneous response from the engine when I the driver chose the gear I want, without having to wait for some computer to do it for me. I'm over 40 years old and live in Northern NJ. Miss driving a manual transmission. Even if I had to get stuck in traffic everyday, I'd still want a manual trans...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Popularity of 6MT sedans?