G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

2009 Acura TL AWD vs. G37x sedan comparo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 12:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Acura TL AWD vs. G37x sedan comparo?

Folks,

Not sure if this has been discussed here before. A friend of mine is considering the '09 TL SH-AWD, and I wonder how you guys think it stacks up against the G37x?

Any inputs would be appreciated.

Cheers,
- M

Old 03-17-2009, 01:34 AM
I think the acura is HIDEOUS...

Old 03-17-2009, 01:57 AM
Has your friend looked at the front grill or the rear bumper/trunk?

I think it's generally accepted that the new TL is ugly. Even the dealers are painting the front grill to tone it down.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the previous gen TL was a beauty, but this latest one is an ugly beast. I'm sure it has it's pluses, but those Acura designers need to be fired for this one....

Old 03-17-2009, 09:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
looks are in the eye of the check writer,

as for as luxuries, the TL and the G are on par as far as I am concerned, they are both the entry models of luxury names, and tit for tat, each cars has some thing that the other doesn't but they are both on the same playing field.

As for performance, the g is far past the TL, you don't see them comparing the tl with the 3 series for a reason.

the G is a RWD based AWD, and the TL is a FWD based AWD.

as for price, im not sure what the new TL is running, but I would def drop the same $ for my G again .

so it depends on what ur fiend wants.

i looked at the 2008 TL when i got my G, i looked at the TL Type-S and the g35S.

the G was more sportier. if i didn't drive like an *** hole, there is a really good chance that i would have gotten the TL.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:58 AM
That TL is super fugly!!!!

AND the interior....man, I thought that I was being attacked by buttons.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Big8Gx
AND the interior....man, I thought that I was being attacked by buttons.
nerds wet dream...

Old 03-17-2009, 10:20 AM
Here's a comparison test done by edmunds:

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...7/pageNumber=1

It's no contest.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It hasn't been a contest before either. The TL used to have all the bells and whistles over the G35 - fancier navigation, more buttons, more electronics. It was my top choice as well. Then I drove the G35...

Old 03-17-2009, 10:58 AM
As a 3 time Acura TL buyer/driver I hate the new TL.... A friend is buying an MDX and is begging me to get a TL so we can buy together and have better bargaining power but I just cant do it....

Old 03-17-2009, 11:52 AM
Last December, I compared the G37 with the Acura TL, BMW 328 and Audi A4. Here’s a ramble about the four.

The Acura’s interior most closely competes with the Infiniti in that both fit me nearly like a glove. While the “Ahh” factor upon entering the Infiniti was highest, both cars were very comfortable concerning the seats and driving position. The Acura faltered in dashboard layout, however. It’s very busy with far too many buttons and doodads. There is more backseat legroom in the Acura, but the Infiniti backseats were just a bit more comfortable. In short, the Infiniti has the best cockpit. Sit in a front seat and you know why you’re there. “You’re safe, you’re comfortable, so let’s go!”

The view was good in all four cars. The Audi had perhaps the best overall view out, as I recall, but it felt a bit like sitting in a desk—uninspiring, as was the BMW. I liked the position of the Infiniti’s seat best relative to the view, partly because it simply feels invigorating. “No worries. Drive me!” it seems to say.

The Audi and BMW each had nicely laid-out interiors, but did not have the same luxurious and everything-is-at-your-finger-tip feel. The BMW had the least amount of appeal, and the backseat has the least legroom of all. It’s no fun back there. The Audi had as much rear seat legroom as the Acura, which is to say more than the Infiniti or BMW. If the two Germans had been produced after the two Japanese cars chronologically, I think automobile journalists would be saying, “The Audi and BMW (in particular) are rather sparse on the inside, as though conceived and executed by engineers and not craftsmen. Yes, there are seats and a steering wheel, but you don’t feel as though you’re supposed to be particularly comfortable or sort of at home while driving. The Germans could stand some class time inside the Infiniti.”

The driving experience with all four cars is great. No one loses. However, I found the Audi to be least inspiring, the punchy turbocharger notwithstanding. It simply felt, well, safe—and that’s how one should drive it, too. The four-cylinder engine sound does nothing to inspire either. Frankly, that was a big drawback for me. The BMW was nice and composed, handling the straights and turns equally well. The Acura was well controlled and pretty inspiring, second to the Infiniti. The G is simply the most invigorating of the four. It’s absolutely marvelous to drive. Everything about it says, “Sure, we can plod along through town easily enough, but what about that side street? How about taking the long and winding way today? You’re with me, so you know you want to.”

As for speed, I found the Acura and BMW to be very enjoyable and pretty fast. The Acura gearbox gets a notable downgrade for only five gears, but it uses them well. Both are relatively quiet and linear, which is to say “predictable.”

The Audi is, of course, jumpy, because of the turbocharger. That can be good and bad, depending upon what you want. A burst of speed? Got it. An easy and predictable meander about town? Not so much.

The Infiniti is a precision rocket. It can do a slow crawl in traffic and calmly navigate a delicate turn in complete control. But in a blink of an eye, it can be way down the road in a blast of speed. When slowing down, the G downshifts at around 23 mph, and that can be surprising at first since the car feels like it’s braking a bit. But after awhile, you get used to it and begin to depend upon it when slowing down to take a turn. You don’t need to brake because the engine will, and you can keep your foot resting on the accelerator, ready to go. Which car sounds the best? That’s easy—the G. Hands down.

I suppose I could sum up by likening the four cars to characters in a classroom. Each can sit and behave with the rest of the class (the Camrys and Accords and Altimas, etc.), but you know who the leaders are. They stand out. The Germans frown upon the G and give each other knowing looks; they’re snobs. The Acura TL SH-AWD is torn. Along with the Lexus, it has worked hard to be like the Germans, so it wants to stay in their company. But it’s envious of the G. Of the four, only one is at times mischievous, only one is quick with a wink or a raised eyebrow. And that’s the one that takes you further than the others—that’s the one you want.

That's the one I got.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:03 PM
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
In the Edmunds review the 3.7L TL ran a 6.7 in the 0-60. HAHAHA the G37 is down in the low if not flat 5 seconds. G hands down.

BTW, the rever, that was an excellent contribution to the forum. We need more people like you

Old 03-17-2009, 12:20 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
the new TL is a barge. The only thing the TL has over the G the interior.

TL failure checks:

Exterior design, check
FWD or FWD-biased AWD system, check
Transversely mount engine, check
4,000lbs with a 60/40 weight distribution, check

Old 03-17-2009, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by popcornten
I think the acura is HIDEOUS...

x2... end of thread. lol

Old 03-30-2009, 12:06 AM
I almost bought a TL instead of the G but performance sold me. I personally like the new TL but the G37 is a car to be bargain with! sedan that this

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2009 Acura TL AWD vs. G37x sedan comparo?