G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

8000K vs Stock headlights - Pics inside!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 02:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
8000K vs Stock headlights - Pics inside!

If you just want pics and don't care about my troubles, scroll down

Ok so time for me to bitch/complain . Picked up these 8000K bulbs from 808mike - he's a great guy by the way! So helpful and easy to talk to . I decided around 11:30 I'm going to just go throw one in and take some comparison shots since I know I always wanted to see them and nobody ever did straight comparisons. So I consider taking out the intake - and by the way I have no idea exactly what I'm looking for cuz the DIY pictures don't work. About 20 minutes later I decide to just drop the wheel liner with the tire there. So I turn I turn the wheel all the way right, try to start dropping the wheel liner but it's getting caught on the wheel. So I decide to lose the tire, i turn it back straight but after 20 minutes I couldn't get the lug nuts to budge.... Only the wheel lock which seemed quite loose? End up turning the wheel hard left and I'm able to drop the liner that way. Spend a half hour fiddling around with the water proof cap, having no idea what the silver thing in front of the bulb is and trying to get the butterfly clips off. Finally figure it all out and get the bulb in. Tighten everything back up and find the waterproof cap sitting off to the side on the floor.....

Well an hour and half probably of pushing and pulling and twisting and turning here's the results!

ALSO - I have some Luminics yellow fogs in the mail (I hope they're in the mail already) and if I can get away with the different colored headlights for a few days I'm gonna wait for them to come in and install the drivers side so I can take a real comparison shot stock vs. 8000K and Luminics Fogs.

SECOND ALSO - I painted my engine cover last weekend, ended up not being enough coats and it's quite splotchy. So I'll be finishing that up probably tomorrow with a bunch more coats and I'll also have some pictures of that up.

It's going to be a summer of mods for me

Old 05-18-2009, 03:28 AM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
I got the Luminics fog lights too. I personally like the different look the yellow in the fog gives, and it's basically cosmetic since the oem fogs don't do much anyway.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome man! glad to see u got one side in!! Man what a diffrence, haha never really know how blue they were until a comparison shot with the OEM Bulbs! Congrats man! I got a yellow HID Fog Kit on mine. and it looks great, and gives me more visibility at night! shines up the road right in front of me! so I can be ready to dodge all the damn Pot holes on our crappy roads here!

Old 05-18-2009, 11:52 AM
looks good.

but ya lost light output.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^+1

4100-4300k is the luminous sweet spot i believe. But obviously not a popular choice for looks. i think 6000k's are a good compromise, but nice though

and for fog lights, i say, if you can't match the color of your headlights exactly, contrast them.

btw, you'll never color match a bulb in a projector housing, with a bulb in a reflector housing. You can match color output that hits the road, or visibly match the color when looking AT the car, but never both.

Last edited by Coryuyede; 05-19-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:35 PM
Everyone says that, but I could see just fine last night down wooded roads. I'll agree though, it is a little more difficult to see since they're blue, but still 1,000x better than halogen bulbs!

So i put the other bulb in last night....took less than 10 minutes since I knew what the he11 I was doing hhaha

once i get the yellow luminics fogs in i'll post up pics

Old 05-19-2009, 04:43 PM
blue light is harder on the eyes.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:35 AM
Originally Posted by san~man
I got the Luminics fog lights too. I personally like the different look the yellow in the fog gives, and it's basically cosmetic since the oem fogs don't do much anyway.
i agree... love the yellow fogs

Old 05-20-2009, 02:17 AM
+1000000000000

Anything above 6000 Kelvin will actually result in poor visibility. You will blind people on the road and not even be able to see well.

Originally Posted by pwebb
looks good.

but ya lost light output.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:30 AM
Yea stick at or below 6000k.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:39 AM
you guys are peeing all over his parade!

To each their own

Just be Glad he's not rocking some 15,000k's

Old 05-20-2009, 02:46 AM
Originally Posted by Coryuyede
you guys are peeing all over his parade!

To each their own

Just be Glad he's not rocking some 15,000k's
I probably would have gone with 6000K, but I got a pretty good deal on them from 808Mike. It's not like the regular halogen housings converted to HID where the light goes all over the place and isn't focused - the HID housings are the exact same, its just a different bulb so they're not aimed any different than before to blind people or anything! And I had no visibility issues

It's not you guys peeing on my parade though, one bulb is acting up and flickering. I'm not sure what to do (I have both bulbs in now). I googled it and a few places said to take them out immediately and clean them so I just put my 4300Ks back in now. It recommended cleaning the contacts with like alcohol to clean it. Do you guys have any recommendations on what I should do?

Is it possible the bulb was damaged during shipping?

And more peeing on my parade- I took my car in for service today and I think they spilled oil on my engine cover that I was in the process of repainting then tried to wipe it off. It looks like someone took a thick brush of like gray and painted a stroke from the oil cap down (on the black part I was leaving stock) - I'm gonna go back tomorrow and I guess ask for a new engine cover.... I hope they don't act like I did it since I was painting my engine cover. Dammit...

Last edited by popcornten; 05-20-2009 at 02:51 AM.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:01 AM
Hmm, i would be a little doubtful, about damaged during shipping. Hid bulbs are fragile, but to be honest, Halogens can be just as fragile if not more so. The only thing aside from the glass that could break during shipping for those things would be the return wire. but you would most likely see it. If the ignitor isn't firing it up, i would switch the old hid back, just to see if it still fires, to verifiy Ballast/ignitor operation. If the oem bulb works, clean the inner contacts of your 8k bulb, try again.

seeing as these bulbs are 8k, they're guaranteed to be made in china/taiwan/korea. Sylvania,Phillips/Osram don't make bulbs over 6k, so quality could be suspect? good luck though.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:27 AM
To makeup for the lost brightness by going to the higher color temp, consider upgrading to 55w ballasts? At 8000k, I'm sure the increase would be pretty apparent...

Old 05-21-2009, 03:51 AM
I read about stuff such as melting the plastic on the headlights and stuff because of all the extra heat they produce?

Originally Posted by prech
To makeup for the lost brightness by going to the higher color temp, consider upgrading to 55w ballasts? At 8000k, I'm sure the increase would be pretty apparent...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 8000K vs Stock headlights - Pics inside!