G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Big Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Problem

So yesterday I took a road trip to Oklahoma City, which is about 120 miles from my home town Tulsa. I had decent tread on my tires before I left, but about 3/4 of the way there my car lost traction. It was wet outside and I was on the highway, but still it seemed weird.

I pulled over in some small town and found a tire shop. They put my car on the lift to look at the tires and they were completely bald on the indside of the tire. It looked like i had slicks on the inner tire and perfect tread on the outter.

I also looked at the lip on my wheels and I found a bunch of tire residue left over on the lip. I know that had to come from today because i detailed the car yesterday.

Does anyone know what could have happened?

Thanks,
Chris Cary

Old 06-03-2009, 02:01 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My guess is it is just normal tire wear. You have the H&R springs, do you have adjustable camber arms? If not, you are probably close to 2 degrees of negative camber, and it will cause high amounts of wear. I think it was just worse than you thought.

What kind of tires do you have? How many miles on them?

Old 06-03-2009, 02:16 PM
Falkens I think the 400 series something close to that..and prolly 3-5 thous. miles..i drive hard tho

Old 06-03-2009, 02:43 PM
Yeah it's called your camber being off from lowering your car.

Next time do some homework before using mom and dad's money on buying a plethora of mods so you can be sure what to anticipate. If you did you'd of known that you needed to get your camber adjusted after dropping a car.

It's kids like you who take a stock car, buy some crazy turbo kit because it's not your money, then wonder why your tranny and/or engine exploded.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:51 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Bad camber will kill a new set of tires very fast. You have the Falken FK452's. Before you put a new set on make sure you get an adjustable camber kit. Was it just the rears or both F&R?

Old 06-03-2009, 03:28 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
you guys are fools when it comes to knowing about alignments. Yes, camber does kill a over a long period of time but its toe that is the true culprit of excessive tire wear. Im running -2.5 camber upfront with -4 rear but with .01 toe. I have 8000 miles on the tires never flipped em once. The rears show obvious inner tire wear but theres still about 40-50% left and the fronts are almost perfect. To tht OP, get new tires and get a alignment and possible a camber kit of your not happy with your specs.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:38 PM
screw you guys i work for all my ****..theyve helped out with stuff due to a large scholorship to the university of tulsa, but just about every mod that is in this car i have payed for with my own money..thanks for the information..

I know a little about camber and tires get ruined after lowering a car. i just thought that the tires were ruined all in one day it seemed like due to the excessive amount of tire residue on the wheels

Trending Topics

Old 06-03-2009, 03:39 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Sounds like the toe is off to me. Negative camber wear is slow, toe in wear is fast.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:41 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by titan13qb
screw you guys i work for all my ****..theyve helped out with stuff due to a large scholorship to the university of tulsa, but just about every mod that is in this car i have payed for with my own money..thanks for the information..

I know a little about camber and tires get ruined after lowering a car. i just thought that the tires were ruined all in one day it seemed like due to the excessive amount of tire residue on the wheels
It was just that one guy and I removed his post...

Your alignment was obviously off...

Old 06-03-2009, 03:58 PM
thanks.i appreciate it..what tires should i get next? i would like a good tire that last a long time tread wise. im not a fan of potenzas or falkens..how are nittos and neogens?

Old 06-03-2009, 05:03 PM
+1 on out of spec toe. OP, you did get an alignment after lowering, right??

Old 06-03-2009, 06:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeYo
you guys are fools when it comes to knowing about alignments. Yes, camber does kill a over a long period of time but its toe that is the true culprit of excessive tire wear. Im running -2.5 camber upfront with -4 rear but with .01 toe. I have 8000 miles on the tires never flipped em once. The rears show obvious inner tire wear but theres still about 40-50% left and the fronts are almost perfect. To tht OP, get new tires and get a alignment and possible a camber kit of your not happy with your specs.
Werd...

Toe is what wears out tires quickly. Just get the toe adjusted to factory spec and you'll be fine.

Camber only affects tires in the long run...
Plus the camber caused by the H&R springs would only bring it to around -1.8* so it shouldn't need to be flipped or changed for around 15k at least.

Originally Posted by titan13qb
thanks.i appreciate it..what tires should i get next? i would like a good tire that last a long time tread wise. im not a fan of potenzas or falkens..how are nittos and neogens?
Chris, the Falken FK452s are really good tires and the last a decent amount of time...just get the toe adjusted and you'll be fine.

Nitto INVOs are good and Neogens are used mainly for lowered cars because they stretch more than other tires do. Either way you'll be fine.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:14 PM
neg camber and toe-in wear out tires out quick, im surprised your tires lasted that long. Get front camber arms/rear camber/toe kit if you want your alignment to go back to manufacturers spec. or just get an alignment to correct toe. As for tires, I'm running Kumho Ecsta Platinum LX tires, which supposedly are good for 60K miles. Not sure if they make a 20inch tire though.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:35 PM
ckp
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fecurtis
Yeah it's called your camber being off from lowering your car.

Next time do some homework before using mom and dad's money on buying a plethora of mods so you can be sure what to anticipate. If you did you'd of known that you needed to get your camber adjusted after dropping a car.

It's kids like you who take a stock car, buy some crazy turbo kit because it's not your money, then wonder why your tranny and/or engine exploded.
even if his rents did or did not buy his mods for him, whats it to you? get off his nuts. it sounds like you are bitter because daddy didn't hug you?

Old 06-03-2009, 06:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^haha

ckp you getting those Advan wheels soon?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Big Problem