G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Stock/Factory Tint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 11:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock/Factory Tint

Hi Guys,

I'm new here and this is officially my first post.
Great to see a community that focuses on G35's!

Anyways, I have a quick question. I live in MA and I want to tint my windows to legal specs (35% VLT). What is the stock tinting on my 2007 G35x?

It looks like it has a greenish hue but completely clear.... My tinting guy said there is no tint on it. So he suggested I put on 35% film. So I took his advice and went with 35% film.... Now it looks way too dark (I also have graphite/black interior) and i'm paranoid about getting pulled over...

Anyone here living in MA tint their G's with 35% over factory tint? If so, have you guys ever gotten pulled over or gotten a ticket because of it?

Thanks!

Last edited by pianofrk4; 03-19-2010 at 11:08 AM. Reason: correction
Old 03-19-2010, 11:15 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
with a black interior it will make your car look so much darker...this is why i opted for a 45% carbon tint....i threw 50% on my dads A6

Old 03-19-2010, 11:30 AM
I should've gotten the 45% tint then ... damn...i'm screwed

Do you know what stock tint is ? 75%?

Old 03-19-2010, 12:43 PM
Had 15% on my last car, thought it was perfect IMO. Now have 35% on the front and what looks to be about 25% on the back three (bought it used so not quite sure). GF has 15% with black interior and I think it looks great. I dont see the point of going anything above 35%.

I guess to each his own? If you got 35% put on the factory windows, you should be fine. I was never pulled over for my tint...

Old 03-19-2010, 01:36 PM
It does look VERY nice. But I just don't want to get in trouble with the cops. 35% on top of factory/stock tint with black interior makes the tint look 22-28% NET VLT :/

Any problems doing MA state inspection?

Thanks for the input guys.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:44 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Dont worry about it im sure you'll be fine, just keep the tint papers in your car and IF you ever get pulled over for tints(which is highly unlikely) act dumb and show them the papers for your tints and say you went with 35% cause you were told it legal and are not aware of the factory tint.

I have had 15% on all my cars over the past 9yrs and legal limit here is 35% too and have never been pulled over for this, a cop friend told me they would never bother pulling me over just for tints but if they pulled me over for something else then they might cite me on that, but never happened so far.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:25 PM
OK. will do. Thanks for the reassurance I will have to drive around with the sunroof open tho just in case haha.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:35 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
I brought my G to Tint King in Bellrica, MA. Brian is the only guy in MA who installs Huper Optik Ceramic tint. He did an absolutely perfect job and my tint is sitting at exactly 35%. A local forum friend who has a G is also a cop. He brought his meter out at a local meet last year and tested my windows.

If I remember correctly, Brian said he used 40% on mine to make up for the slight tint already existing in the windows. The final result was exactly 35%

Last edited by AesonVirus; 03-19-2010 at 08:30 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-19-2010, 02:46 PM
hmmm...i brought mine to Eastern Glass Tint in Charlestown. He just told me that there was no tint on my stock windows lol. He also told me that most people do 35/35/20, of which I (being a n00b) was like "ok that sounds cool"... so 35 front, 35 rear passenger, 20 rear windshield.... On top of that...he said he lost all his warranty cards for the Llumar tint he uses but he'll just mail me one later. I did not get a receipt either.... The guy's name is Rick... he's a cool guy and all, but he just does what you want or tell him to do... i am such an idiot...should've done more research... I hope i pass MA inspections :/

Old 03-19-2010, 08:29 PM
Your guy is a schmuck. No professional installer would do a job that is not legal in your own state. He didn't give you a receipt because if you get pulled over and tested, he can be found responsible for the illegal tint.
As for tint on stock.. you windows don't have any tint "on" them, but they do have a slight tint in the glass. Any real professional would have tested your windows before starting the job to be sure a 35% film didn't put you past legal.

I'm sure your tints look great and hopefully you don't get hassled for them... but I wouldn't recommend this guy to friends.

Last edited by AesonVirus; 03-20-2010 at 07:39 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:31 PM
BTW... where in MA are you?
We have some great meets coming up this summer... would be great to get some new faces to come out and join us.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:43 PM
I live in MA and went to Tint King as well. I got SunTek Carbon 45 all around and with a black interior, it looks much darker. After Brian/Corey put the tint on, they put a meter up to the windows and said it registered at 37%...and they gave me a receipt that said "MA legal" on it.

When I went for inspection this past Oct, the dealer put a meter up to my windows and said that I was at 34% but let me pass anyway.

I went to Eastern Tint for my old Maxima...the guy was okay, but he pulled the same crap on me with no warranty card, no receipt, cash only. FWIW, he said he put on 35% all around and I never had any problems with inspection. I had a light gray interior though, not black. Just open your sunroof shade and maybe they won't notice?

I will never go to any other place than Tint King in the future. Those guys are very professional and do great work.

Last edited by jkh296; 03-19-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:35 AM
Cool! I'm starting too a lot more locals around here.
Should make for some great meets this year.

I have that same receipt in my glove box.
Brian said tat he stands behind his work and would be responsible if I get pinched for an illegal tint level.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:30 PM
I had my wife's car tinted a few years back to 20% all around. Here in CA, ANY front tinting is illegal. Her father is a local cop so I asked him "Would a police officer ever pull somebody over for front tint?" and his reply was "It depends on what they see inside. If they see a car full of gang-members, they will; but if it is just a woman driving her kid to school, they'll leave you alone."

Food for thought.

Also, the tinting shop and me sign something saying that I understood that the front tinting was illegal and then went ahead with it.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by PocketMnky
I had my wife's car tinted a few years back to 20% all around. Here in CA, ANY front tinting is illegal. Her father is a local cop so I asked him "Would a police officer ever pull somebody over for front tint?" and his reply was "It depends on what they see inside. If they see a car full of gang-members, they will; but if it is just a woman driving her kid to school, they'll leave you alone."

Food for thought.

Also, the tinting shop and me sign something saying that I understood that the front tinting was illegal and then went ahead with it.
This is very true, but if you're getting caught in the act of an infrequent yet sometimes necessary session of spirited driving, you certainly don't want them having anything to add to the list of violations.
And here in MA, they will test your windows during our yearly safety inspection.

I've met people here in MA that have their windows tinted at 20% and peel it off for inspection and then have it reinstalled again. Crazy but true.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stock/Factory Tint