G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Expected maintenance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 02:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Expected maintenance

Everybody,

Two questions, one long and one short. I have a 2008 G35X premium package, 23,500 miles currently, I bought it March 31. I bought it certified pre-owned but opted not to buy the extended plan. I hate warranties and have usually found them to be a rip-off.

1. What can I expect on annual maintenance (especially brakes and tires)? The reason I ask this relates to question 2....

2. In the car's short life (it was a lease car in New York before coming to Oklahoma), it has:

-had the battery replaced twice

-had the front brake pads and rotors replaced

-replaced rear brakes and turned rotors.

-replaced all tires.

This was all before or at 15,000 miles.

And I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow for what likely are warped rotors. Steering column shakes noticeably when I break at highway speeds, and brakes feel soft at anything over a crawl.

I didn't expect brake work this often or soon after I bought it, even if it's something simple. I'm worried about replacing brakes every 12,000-15,000 miles. To me, that's unacceptable.

Does this work sound typical to you? Have I bought a lemon? Is this what I can expect for this type of car? If I'm looking at more than $1,000 a year in repair costs this early with normal use, I'll be selling this car. I love it, but c'mon.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff in Oklahoma City

Old 04-18-2010, 04:48 PM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
First off, these cars are known to have weak rotors from factory. Even the S brakes suffer from this. This ofcourse depends on the type of driving you do. It takes quite a few very hard stops from high speed to cause that. Even then, the stock rotors shouldn't be expensive anyway. I got all 4 Akebono rotors for $350 at the dealer.

The tires will depend on what type you have, how you drive, etc. I've had my tires (Bridgestone Potenza's) replaced at around 25K miles. These are relatively low tread wear tires and I drifted around quite a bit with them. They still had life left when I replaced them. Personally I think 15K miles is a little too soon to replace tires. I don't know how the previous owner could go through them that fast.

I'm not sure about the battery but I've driven 30K miles so far in 2 years and my battery is running good.