G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

OK, this is getting ridiculous for this car...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 05:24 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
wheel bearings bad? Warped rotors will also cause vibration (this can occur if your lugs were over torqued)

Old 06-07-2010, 09:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nghiars
(this can occur if your lugs were over torqued)
O yes, going to the dealer for a alignment is not going to help they all do it the same way. How much weight did each wheel get on them?? look at the back side and count for me please.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If its just vibrating and it gets worse on braking then it could be a sticky brake caliper which is dragging slightly and heating up the rotor causing it to overheat and warp. This would also explain that it gets worse when you put the brakes on. If there is no noise I don't think it would be a wheel bearing.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:34 AM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I never had a problem with vibration UNTIL the dealership did an alignment. Now my passenger side seat is going crazy.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am so glad and relieved that i am not the only one. Let's see if the dealership can diagnose something this Saturday. Got me fingers crossed.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by Mississaugag35x
If its just vibrating and it gets worse on braking then it could be a sticky brake caliper which is dragging slightly and heating up the rotor causing it to overheat and warp. This would also explain that it gets worse when you put the brakes on. If there is no noise I don't think it would be a wheel bearing.
is there a way to check for sure if the calipers are sticking? one symptom i noticed while driving to work today is that i can REALLY DEFINITELY FEEL the road on the steering wheel. Even at low speeds (5mph - 20mph). Is there such thing as a steering dampener?

Sameerg good luck at the dealership on Sat. bud! Let us know how it turns out.
Thanks!

Old 06-08-2010, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by pianofrk4
is there a way to check for sure if the calipers are sticking? one symptom i noticed while driving to work today is that i can REALLY DEFINITELY FEEL the road on the steering wheel. Even at low speeds (5mph - 20mph). Is there such thing as a steering dampener?

Sameerg good luck at the dealership on Sat. bud! Let us know how it turns out.
Thanks!
Thanks man! i need that. I hope i can get a fix for this thing.

Just to elaborate, yes, the road feel or as i may say, the feel of the road is from the left wheel. The steering seems to have some play in it and does not feel as direct as it did earlier. The steering seems to shimmy shammy towards the left. the steering feels harder when turning to the right and turning to the left seems easier on the arms.

The delaership always blamed it on the 18" wheels of mine, but as you say that you have the stock 17s, i have that to argue with them now. Whenever i drive the loaner from the dealership, the steering feels so darn stable on those things.

regardless of all that, i hate the numbing feeling that my arms suffer all day long from due to this shizzle.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:52 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I noticed you have the awd version, another factor could be the front half axles, if either one of them are slightly bent, could also cause the vibrations, loose tie rod ends could also make your steering feel more vague. As for the difficulty turning the steering wheel one way vs the other, that might be caused by the toe alignment being off or the CV joint on the front axle being worn or damaged.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by InfinitJazz
I noticed you have the awd version, another factor could be the front half axles, if either one of them are slightly bent, could also cause the vibrations, loose tie rod ends could also make your steering feel more vague. As for the difficulty turning the steering wheel one way vs the other, that might be caused by the toe alignment being off or the CV joint on the front axle being worn or damaged.
Yup I have the AWD. What are the front half axles? is it near the front jacking point? (to the left and right of the jacking point nub?)

Old 06-08-2010, 02:20 PM
I had an AWD Jaguar X-Type before I bought the G. I had the same problem. I bought new tires, new rims, had an alignment done, new front rotors, etc. and still had the vibration. I did more research on the subject than I cared to do and came to the conclusion that AWD cars are more prone to this type of thing than RWD. It was honestly the main reason I got rid of the car and specifically looked for a RWD car.

I feel for you having gone through this same exact thing. Good luck and I hope you can get the issue resolved.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:24 PM
Received 187 Likes on 140 Posts
also, i can confirm that when i press the brake pedal (moderately) and slow down from 40mph to stop, the steering wheel would vibrate even more! Could it be brakes? or engine mounts? I don't feel pulsations from the brake pedal or anything. it seems smooth except for the shaking in the steering wheel.
i'm going to suggest warped rotors. This can happen when the newbs at the tire places use impact wrenches to tighten your lugs.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Sameerg did you get a chance to hit the dealership? If so, how'd it go?

My car mysteriously does not vibrate anymore when hitting the brakes... it's perfectly smooth now... ....weird...

Now I just have the constant "humming high frequency vibration" that is felt all throughout the steering wheel and floor board and shift ****.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:38 PM
Sameerg did you get a chance to hit the dealership? If so, how'd it go?

My car mysteriously does not vibrate anymore when hitting the brakes... it's perfectly smooth now... ....weird...

Now I just have the constant "humming high frequency vibration" that is felt all throughout the steering wheel and floor board and shift ****.
Yo Piano!!! dude, i went to the delaership, so my service advisor, who is a local racing driver too, drove and checked my car out.
He came back from the drive, while i test drove the FX 50 s in the meantime, and said that this car could not be more perfect. I think they are just waiting for my car to run our of warranty. As soon as it hits 60k, they are gonna inform me of 3k worth of required repairs which could have been ficed under warranty.

Anyways, I just got back home after a 800 mile drive through WV and PA. The car drove just perfect. Just a tiny bit of vibration at about 75-80 mph. But i was not dissatisfied.

I dont know man, i think these cars have a mind of their own.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:56 AM
That's friggin crazy! So they didn't do anything ???

I bet they just pulled the negative wire from the battery and reset everything.... lol.
That's what I did this past weekend and everythingn seems to be smooth ...for now.
100 mi. later...it will shudder/vibrate again! it always happens...

It will be back to the way it was... shudder city! I friggin hate the dealerships.... they are lazy *** SOBs!!

You are right, they want to wait till warranty is up and charge you up the butt!

Time for a new car!... BMW 335xi? haha... well... let's see what the dealership has to say for me...i will be in this wednesday. I will report back when i'm done.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:14 AM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
I've only scanned through this thread but I didn't see this asked yet...

Do you have another set of wheels that you can try?
Warped rotors are not going to cause a constant vibration. They only affect braking (unless they are so damn warped that they have no business on your car to begin with)

You are looking at one of the components that cause vibration while driving... wheels, tires, drive shafts, bearings, etc.
You need to start the process of elimination. It's a PITA but it needs to be done.
This is what the dealer should be doing. They have everything they need and it would take less than a day to diagnose.

Why does everyone immediately assume a vibration is a wheel out of balance and when the machine can't find it, throw their hands up and say it can't be fixed?
Stupid dealer... find a new one.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OK, this is getting ridiculous for this car...