G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Pulled over by FHP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 06:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pulled over by FHP

I was pulled over by a FHP yesterday evening. When i asked why he pulled me over, he says I was getting three violations. One each for the smoked headlights, smoked taillights and the smoked license plate cover. So i guess its against the law to have smoked lights in Florida. He returned to the car a gave me only a warning. Maybe it was a b-day gift...Anyway, i may remove the tints and will have to look for an alternative to mod the headlights and taillights. Any suggestions on on legal mods for the headlights and taillights and how to remove the tints?

Old 08-31-2010, 07:17 AM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
there are no legal mods to headlights or tail lights in any state in america that i'm aware of. well check that, you could go to slightly brighter bulbs or black out the inside of the housings but that's it. no bulb color changes or applying anything other than a clear rock-chip resistant film to the headlight housing.

you'd be amazed at how much is actually illegal in this country when it comes to the traffic code.

it's cool that he let you off though.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by RemmyZero
it's cool that he let you off though.
Yeah I know, this was the first time in the many many years of driving and being pulled over that I was actually given a break...that is why I don't want to push the issue.

Is painting the headlight housing or using overlays illegal as well?

Old 08-31-2010, 07:48 AM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
technically painting the housing is probably illegal because if you look at most vehicle codes they say that anything other than stock configuration is illegal. now most cops aren't going to bother chasing you for a spoiler or a painted housing because then that's all they'd be doing all day.

which overlays are you referring to? overlays on headlights? unless it's a clear film like a 3M rock guard or something i believe it is illegal.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:49 AM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
For sure, do not smoke your license plate covers! That will get you stopped alone. The headlights/taillights must have been pretty dark for them to mention. Just black out the housing for the headlights--looks better than smoked IMHO. Don't go crazy with the taillights and you should be OK.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:57 AM
Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
I got pulled over for tinted windows 4%, it was a $100.00 fine but was dropped after spending $50.00 to have it removed.

A co worker got fined for tinted rear tailights on a S2K, he paid the $100.00 fine because the tailights were painted.

Luckily it was a warning for you, but would take heed.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:32 AM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
You should be able to get away with tinting the heads and tails, as long as there are cutouts for where the light emits, sorta like Bat's overlays.
Tinting the entire lens is not legal.

Glad to hear he let you off with just a warning. It's always a good idea to do your homework first, before you make any modifications to your car.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:16 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
^+1 just get the overlays with proper cutouts and you will have no problems!

Old 08-31-2010, 03:30 PM
Here in PA I couldn't even get my car inspected w/clear corners. I had an '01 Eclipse GT w/clear lenses and yellow bulbs and was told I need 2 have yellow/amber reflectors. They wouldn't inspect it til I did. Also got pulled over in the daytime and fined (no warning) back in '96 after putting the blackout lenses (front/back) on my S10. I said,"Oh, I didn't know they were illegal, I'll take 'em off when I get home." Female officer said, "No, you're gettin fined." It was somethin like $65 4 the tails and $90 4 the heads.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:36 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
hey OP, In FL anything covering the License plate is illegal clear or smoked.

I believe smoked tail lights are perfectly A OK as long as the brake lights are visible up to the code(300feet?) Got to look it up. If they are too dark then maybe that's why he stopped you.

Personally Smoked headlights look like poo :P

Old 08-31-2010, 03:41 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
This is from 09 I believe but not sure if it changed or not.

You can search the statutes http://www.leg.state.fl.us/

Title XXIII
MOTOR VEHICLES Chapter 316
STATE UNIFORM TRAFFIC CONTROL View Entire Chapter

316.220 Headlamps on motor vehicles.--

(1) Every motor vehicle shall be equipped with at least two headlamps with at least one on each side of the front of the motor vehicle, which headlamps shall comply with the requirements and limitations set forth in this chapter, and shall show a white light. An object, material, or covering that alters the headlamp's light color may not be placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied over a headlamp.

(2) Every headlamp upon every motor vehicle shall be located at a height of not more than 54 inches nor less than 24 inches to be measured as set forth in s. 316.217.

(3) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

History.--s. 1, ch. 71-135; s. 172, ch. 99-248; s. 9, ch. 2000-313.

Title XXIII

316.221 Taillamps.--

(1) Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer, and any other vehicle which is being drawn at the end of a combination of vehicles, shall be equipped with at least two taillamps mounted on the rear, which, when lighted as required in s. 316.217, shall emit a red light plainly visible from a distance of 1,000 feet to the rear, except that passenger cars and pickup trucks manufactured or assembled prior to January 1, 1972, which were originally equipped with only one taillamp shall have at least one taillamp. On a combination of vehicles, only the taillamps on the rearmost vehicle need actually be seen from the distance specified. On vehicles equipped with more than one taillamp, the lamps shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable. An object, material, or covering that alters the taillamp's visibility from 1,000 feet may not be placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied over a taillamp.

(2) Either a taillamp or a separate lamp shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear registration plate and render it clearly legible from a distance of 50 feet to the rear. Any taillamp or taillamps, together with any separate lamp or lamps for illuminating the rear registration plate, shall be so wired as to be lighted whenever the headlamps or auxiliary driving lamps are lighted. Dump trucks and vehicles having dump bodies are exempt from the requirements of this subsection.

(3) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

History.--s. 1, ch. 71-135; s. 1, ch. 79-97; s. 173, ch. 99-248; s. 10, ch. 2000-313; s. 17, ch. 2006-290.

Title XXIII

316.222 Stop lamps and turn signals.--

(1) Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer shall be equipped with two or more stop lamps meeting the requirements of s. 316.234(1). Motor vehicles, trailers, semitrailers and pole trailers manufactured or assembled prior to January 1, 1972, shall be equipped with at least one stop lamp. On a combination of vehicles, only the stop lamps on the rearmost vehicle need actually be seen from the distance specified in s. 316.234(1).

(2) Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer shall be equipped with electric turn signal lamps meeting the requirements of s. 316.234(2).

(3) Passenger cars and trucks less than 80 inches in width, manufactured or assembled prior to January 1, 1972, need not be equipped with electric turn signal lamps.

(4) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

History.--s. 1, ch. 71-135; s. 174, ch. 99-248.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tinted headlights and taillights are ugly and unsafe anyways.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:55 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
even the license plate plastic trim they give every person who buys a brand new car from ANY dealership, if the person or dealer installs that, it covers about 1/4" all the way around your license plate (the edge all four sides) and that technically is ILLEGAL and friends of mine who are officers of the law who are looking to pull you over, they technically CAN PULL YOU OVER AND FINE YOU if you have one of these:

i dont mess with ANYTHING on my license plate

Old 08-31-2010, 05:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
this should be legal since it doesnt hamper the operation of the factory installed lighting....i choose going this route on upgrading the cars look over two years ago with no issues from johhny law.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:24 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Idk about the guy from pa but i have had my car inspected with all my mods. This included smoked clear corners and blk out headlights. Just paint the inner housing that isnt illegal just the covering over it is. Also all states require that you show the state on the plate. So like most states its at the top or bottom. I also have a blue cover over my license and just took off the gtr opaque on my tailights with the wholes cut out and no problems in two years i have owned it. Now i have 6/10 shade on the tails fully and i am never bothered. Plus i have a bodykit that doesnt say stock, on the car. Most of the time you get noticed is when your doing things you shouldnt be doing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pulled over by FHP