G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Light Steering

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 11:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Light Steering

Lately the steering on my car seems light and the wheel wants to move left or right at lower speeds like the steering linkage or something is loose. It seems OK at highway speeds though. I got a 4 wheel alignment so that's not it (made no diff.) and I have new tires and that didn't make any differece either. The dealer is saying they don't notice anything on a test drive?? Any ideas?

Old 09-01-2010, 12:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How long ago did u put the 19s on?

Old 09-01-2010, 12:15 AM
Originally Posted by Mississaugag35x
Lately the steering on my car seems light and the wheel wants to move left or right at lower speeds like the steering linkage or something is loose. It seems OK at highway speeds though. I got a 4 wheel alignment so that's not it (made no diff.) and I have new tires and that didn't make any differece either. The dealer is saying they don't notice anything on a test drive?? Any ideas?
So I guess my question is... what does light mean exactly? You seem to say there is some extra play in the steering at low speeds.

Well depending upon your mileage it could be anything in the suspension.

Have you looked under the car? Do you hear any clunking noises when you drive over speed bumps or angled driveways?

Could be your Sway Bar Bushings.
Could be your Tie rod ends.
Could be your Sway Bar Links.
Could be your Compression Rods.
Could Be your Sway bar Bracket.

Could be you just need to tighten some or all of thoes items.

Could be your imagining things. LOL J/K

Old 09-01-2010, 09:21 AM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
I have noticed something similar to this since I slightly lowered my X. Perhaps I noticed it because I was consciously looking for every possible new effect related to the drop.
What I notice it that it feels different on city streets at 50-60km/hr. It seems to 'track' left and right on its own a little more than before and I find myself correcting the line more than in the past. It very slight each way but I sense it and correct it.

I had it in to my mechanic for some routine maintenance last week. I also wanted him to ensure I torqued everything in my suspension back to specs. He told me that my stabilizer connecting rods (I think thats what he said) are beginning to show mild signs of wear. Something like this could cause the problem and create a little rattle over bumps as well.
My 07 has 48,000km. Whats your mileage?

Old 09-01-2010, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by Mike75
How long ago did u put the 19s on?
Not the 19's. Same problem was occuring long before the 19's were on. Only had them on for about 800 km.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by CerveloR3-SL
So I guess my question is... what does light mean exactly? You seem to say there is some extra play in the steering at low speeds.

Well depending upon your mileage it could be anything in the suspension.

Have you looked under the car? Do you hear any clunking noises when you drive over speed bumps or angled driveways?

Could be your Sway Bar Bushings.
Could be your Tie rod ends.
Could be your Sway Bar Links.
Could be your Compression Rods.
Could Be your Sway bar Bracket.

Could be you just need to tighten some or all of thoes items.

Could be your imagining things. LOL J/K
^ LOL maybe it is my imagination who knows. The car only has 41,000 km on it so I don't think it would be wear but I've only had the car for the last 15,000 km so who knows what the previous drivers did to the car (it was a service loaner previously). I'm meeting with the dealership on Friday and will discuss with them again the potential issues. Thanks for your help.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
I have noticed something similar to this since I slightly lowered my X. Perhaps I noticed it because I was consciously looking for every possible new effect related to the drop.
What I notice it that it feels different on city streets at 50-60km/hr. It seems to 'track' left and right on its own a little more than before and I find myself correcting the line more than in the past. It very slight each way but I sense it and correct it.

I had it in to my mechanic for some routine maintenance last week. I also wanted him to ensure I torqued everything in my suspension back to specs. He told me that my stabilizer connecting rods (I think thats what he said) are beginning to show mild signs of wear. Something like this could cause the problem and create a little rattle over bumps as well.
My 07 has 48,000km. Whats your mileage?
Thanks, Mine has just over 41,000 km. Maybe we both have the same issue. I'm going to see the service manager on Friday so i will let you know the outcome of that. Cheers.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:47 PM
Good luck keep us posted.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by CerveloR3-SL
Good luck keep us posted.
I will. Thanks again.